Recruiting for SA 2025 with 0 experience

I'm a sophomore at HYPSM (supertarget? idk) who has no experience with finance—no prior internships, no IB/investing club membership. Also a humanities major (have heard this is bad). I'm very confident in my technical knowledge and believe I can perform well if given the opportunity to interview. With a decent amount of networking, is it possible to get first-rounds? Are there steps I can take between now & the start of recruiting to make my resume more finance-friendly? I'd be targeting tech IB and would ideally work at a top firm (GS/MS or a good EB). 

Ah, the classic tale of the humanities major at a prestigious institution dipping their toes into the shark-infested waters of finance! Fear not, your journey from Plato to profit margins isn't as treacherous as it seems. Here's a treasure map to help you navigate these choppy seas:

1. Networking: You've got the right idea here. Networking isn't just a buzzword; it's the golden key that can unlock doors you didn't even know existed. Start by:

• Reaching out to alumni from your institution who are currently in the industry.
    • Attending finance-related events and insight series to show your interest.
    • Joining finance clubs at your university, even if you're starting a bit late.
  2. Resume Polishing: To make your resume more finance-friendly:

• Highlight any analytical or quantitative coursework you've completed.
    • If you've done any research or projects that involved critical thinking and analysis, make sure these are front and center.
    • Consider taking on a leadership role in a relevant club or starting a finance-related initiative.
  3. Technical Skills: You're confident in your technical knowledge, which is great. But make sure you can:

• Articulate your understanding of financial concepts clearly and concisely.
    • Practice common technical interview questions and consider enrolling in a financial modeling course to solidify your skills.
  4. Internship Experience: While you may not have direct finance experience, any work experience can be valuable. Be sure to:

• Frame your past experiences in a way that highlights transferable skills such as teamwork, leadership, and problem-solving.
    • Seek out any finance-related opportunities, even if they're unpaid or volunteer positions, to add some relevant experience to your resume.
  5. Understand the Industry: Since you're targeting tech IB:

• Get familiar with the current trends in the tech industry and how they intersect with finance.
    • Understand the key financial metrics and valuation methods used in tech IB.

Remember, your unique background can be a strength, offering a diverse perspective in a field that values sharp minds and quick thinkers. Keep your wits about you, and don't be afraid to let your personality shine through – sometimes, a touch of the humanities can be the secret sauce that sets you apart from the crowd. Good luck, and may the winds of fortune sail you swiftly to your desired destination!

Sources: Tips for Freshman for The Sophomore IB Interview Process, Non-target to BB IB SA, Landing Finance Internship With No Prior Experience for the Fall, Sophomore Finance Experience/Internships?, Pre-Investment Banking Internship: Calling all freshmen and sophomores

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Out of those 5, only H is a "super target" for banking. 

It's definitely possible / you will get first-rounds with the right amount of networking given you're school so no need to worry there.

I'm sure you're fine for GS/MS, but you shouldn't be "very confident" for the harder tech banks like Q as FYI.  Good luck!

In a similar spot, except I have barely started networking :(

is too late to just start seriously networking in Jan esp with all these banks opening earlier and earlier and HL already open :o

Most Helpful

Start networking but I think GS/MS/top EB TMT are a bit unrealistic. You can find their analysts on LinkedIn, but they have sterling resumes with a ton of internships and involvement to land those roles. Make sure you include the MMs and tech boutiques in your networking. 

Your school should get you in the door, but these days non-targets have a pretty wide path too, and everyone else will have at least one, if not two internships, as well as several finance club involvements. The humanities major is fine as long as you're not at Wharton and forgoing a finance major. You better have a really good answer for why finance and why tech, of course.

Also you need to find a sophomore internship ASAP. Like in the next few weeks. It helps a ton to say "oh I haven't done much yet but I'm interning in this finance job this summer" and your resume can convey the same messahe

Really appreciate the response and the great advice—am trying to find something in finance for this summer as we speak. Are the non-tech groups of the bigger BBs easier to recruit for? Obviously I would prefer to stick with tech, since that's what I know and follow closely, but one of the things I'm looking for in IB is optionality after the analyst years (maybe pivoting to law school or government work if I decide that finance isn't for me). I'd imagine a "big-name" BB provides much more of that than, say, a SF tech boutique. 

Omnis eius omnis optio impedit consequatur. Minima repudiandae porro deleniti possimus aut iusto voluptas. Occaecati et incidunt totam qui.

Expedita est et vel et natus quasi cum aliquam. Non ipsam voluptatem hic nesciunt rerum.

Occaecati nisi at aut voluptas qui voluptatem aut. Quod officiis voluptatem error facilis labore provident enim. Mollitia aut qui omnis exercitationem quos iste aut. Qui eum velit commodi occaecati ea tempore.

Nihil ea eligendi tempora unde similique qui non. Laudantium libero deleniti ipsum sint. Culpa sit maxime velit officiis aut assumenda eaque.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 18 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (90) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”