B.S in Biotech (2007) and thinking about Master in Finance? Worth it?

Hello,

I have B.S in Biotech (2007) from a leading university in the U.S with a stellar GPA. I have not so stellar GRE. I have 4.5 years of Pharma/Operations experience. Last 2 years of which have been as a direct people Manager in Mfg. Operations. I also have Lean Six Sigma Green Belt and project mgmt certificate. My goal to get an MBA from top-tier university in the next 3 years or so. In the meanwhile, I'm interested in pursuing Masters in Finance program at Penn State Great Valley (not the online program). My question to you is without any business/finance background, will this masters degree provide me with enough conceptual knowledge about how company's financial backbone functions? The primary reason I want to pursue this program is because I want to have specific focus in finance so understand the basics as well as specific pillars of the financial world. After working in Opeartions, I've developed passion for finance and want to know what I'm dealing if I were to go thru with this commitment.

P.S. My employer may pay for this program partially but even if they don't, I'm willing to pay myself.

Thanks.

5 Comments
 

Depends on what you want to do. You mention you want to understand the basics and conceptual knowledge of a company's financial backbone, etc. An MSF will go way beyond that. If I were you I would stick it out a year or so on your current job and instead focus on getting a high GMAT and recommendation letters for a top MBA program. you can get into a finance role from there.

 

stupid. do ur mba from a top 10 b-school and then place into buy side focused on pharma/life sciences. Penn state is as bad as Sandusky in terms of academis so that's a waste. BS biotech is meaningless esp since uve been doing operations and not actual r&d, prod development. Take ur gmat. I started and sold a med device company so I know what I'm talking about

 
consul101The primary reason I want to pursue this program is because I want to have specific focus in finance so understand the basics as well as specific pillars of the financial world.

If you want to understand finance, you can do self-study, a CFA, etc.

 

Tempore totam voluptatum qui et est consectetur libero ad. Modi error illo est aperiam distinctio ex sit eum. Voluptate tempore minima laborum et.

Sunt aut quia debitis aliquid. Magnam ea laudantium quasi voluptas labore cupiditate rem. Totam voluptas adipisci quis sapiente.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (56) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”