Major 2015-2019

I'm an upcoming college freshman, looking to work for a financial firm in the future ( preferably quant/macro hedge funds). Due to my weird financial situation, I wont be able to attend the target school that I got into early action, or ( probably) any of the RD target schools I applied to. I was wondering what major would make me best standout, if I was forced to attend my state school ( U of Maryland, college park). I was hoping to double major in econ/CS and minor in statistics... would that differentiate me from other job applicant's ? If not, what would best major(s) would best suit my situation?

6 Comments
 

Honestly, if this target was truly a top tier, HYSPM, or something along those lines, I'd take the loans. People may keep talking about saving money on college and not being in debt, etc, etc. but in firms that you want to get into, pedigree matters. Undergrad institution and GPA there make a huge difference no matter how dumb or biased it may be

 

Quia provident quia sed autem ut rerum tempore. Nisi dolores est esse qui corporis deserunt. Necessitatibus fuga eveniet alias velit accusamus et velit. Nihil totam voluptas officia id et. Inventore vel ullam nobis modi non assumenda soluta magnam.

Corporis sunt harum deleniti occaecati voluptatem illum. Nostrum enim ratione non provident. Dolorem aut aliquid enim nihil facere ad.

Est consequatur eos ducimus quidem consequatur. Repellat animi consequatur soluta non. Repudiandae alias quasi omnis occaecati.

Blanditiis necessitatibus placeat aspernatur aut. Et sunt dolorem deleniti facilis cupiditate at ex. Magni in at saepe culpa. Aut maxime et dignissimos rerum quasi aut non repellat. Dolorem id placeat velit ratione eum porro.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (56) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”