Bonus Bananas July 11th, 2014

Barbeques, Backyard Fireworks (that nearly burned down the house) with the Kids last weekend, and step-mothers/brothers/uncles/fathers beyond count. Forget your woes and aches and get ready for another Bonus Bananas.

1) The Emiratii Venture to Build the First Climate Controlled Dome City (Motherboard)
The UAE is generally known as the epicenter of grand engineering ambition, and they live up to that again with their latest venture, the Mall of the World. 3 million sq feet of Dubai is being cordoned off and contained in an air-conditioned dome. It's not exactly controlling the seasons, but 100 hotels and condos in the city will enjoy a comfortable consumer paradise.

2) Printing Humans on Other Planets (Motherboard)
The 3D Printing wave is evidently going into full swing on every level, consumer, business, industrial, and now... high-biology? Lead Engineer on NASA JPL's Curiosity rover mission, Adam Stelzer, believes to send humans to distant planets we need to do one of two things: game space-time or rethink the fundamental idea of "ourselves". We have no idea how to safely travel in our cosmic neighborhood, but perhaps we could skip the trip altogether.

3) Elon Musk Donates 1 Million to The Oatmeal's Nikola Tesla Museum (Techcrunch)
Anyone who reads The Oatmeal knows of Matthew Inman's (founder) love for Nikola Tesla and his venture to establish a Nikola Tesla museum. In fact, last year he raised enough money on IndieGoGo to buy the plot of land once belonging to Nikola Tesla as the site to build a museum in his honor. The Oatmeal recently made a strip on the Tesla (car) and at the end asked Elon Musk to help build the Nikola Tesla museum. One twitter reply later from the man himself and Mattew has a pledge for 1 million dollars.

4) Forget "OK Glass", Control Google Glass with Thoughts (Techcrunch)
Ok. Nobody wants to walk around with Google Glass, and nobody wants to say "OK Glass" in public. But, thanks to Mindrdr one of your woes have been remedied. Downside, you're still wearing Google Glass. (and mindrdr needs additional headgear)

5) DARPA Brings You... Homing Bullets (Motherboard)
You can't run, you can't hide, DARPA is coming to get you. You're about the watch the US military conduct the first successful live-fire tests of .50 caliber bullets equipped with in-flight guidance. DARPA is becoming the forefront of defense.

6) DARPA Brings You... What The Future of War Will Look Like (VICE)
DARPA recently illustrated the Future of War, and I'll be damned if it isn't a screenshot of the upcoming COD: Advanced Warfare. All it needs now is Kevin Spacey. DARPA is looking to digitize the squad describing, "Digitizing the Squad involves digitizing the soldier, sensing the environment, and sharing information among squad members", come on, tell me this isn't a game.

7) Finally, a Way to Find Movies Worth Watching on NetFlix (Techcrunch)
Netflix is like the candy dish at your grandmother’s house. Most of the movies are crap, but you know, buried somewhere in there, is something worth your time.

8) Images for You, Your Startup, and Your Wife (Unsplash)
Wait. You need to see this. Friend of mine in Venture Capital sent this to me to share as the resource he gives to all the startups he fosters. It's a library of remarkable clean photos without a hipster in sight. Personally, I've shamelessly adopted a number of the images as backgrounds for anything I own with a touchscreen.

9) The Man Who Turns Corpses into Diamonds (VICE)
This Swedish guy will turn your dead body into a precious stone of your (wife's) choice. The price for the transfiguration is about $5,000 - $22,000, depending on just how large a diamond you want to be. I'm going to go ahead and say this is preferential over becoming ashes in a vase.

10) We Need Three Planets to Keep Up (Motherboard)
Climate change is a controversial subject, but luckily this one isn't about climate change. Dennis Bushnell (chief scientist of NASA's Langley Research Center) recently said "Essentially, there’s too many of us. We’ve been far too successful as the human animal. People allege we’re short 40-50 percent of a planet now." What do you think about Space Colonization?

Video of the Week: If Google Was a Real Person

Speaking of #7, I watched the netflix original documentary 'Mitt' the other night and really enjoyed it. It follows the Romneys starting in before the 2008 election through 2012. My girlfriend and I have differing political views but both enjoyed it thoroughly. Worth a watch.

This to all my hatin' folks seeing me getting guac right now..

Exercitationem consectetur asperiores accusamus nemo culpa ab. Ea labore tenetur et sint. Molestiae officia modi facilis molestias quo.

Quasi nulla similique ipsam quo architecto occaecati explicabo. Ex asperiores officiis dolorem qui placeat molestias. Neque reiciendis voluptates rerum quidem qui. Accusantium molestiae animi qui impedit error magni et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”