Bonus Bananas July 12, 2013

First of all, a HUGE thank you to the literally hundreds of you who bought the book yesterday. I am overwhelmed by your enthusiasm, and the feedback I've started getting is awesome. Thank you all.

Now let's get to it:

1) Let The Games Begin (AVC) - They might have been a year behind schedule, but this week the SEC handed entrepreneurs a gift they haven't seen in over 70 years: companies can now advertise unregistered stock offerings. This is HUGE. Now if they'd just get on the ball with the rest of the JOBS Act.

2) So Much for Non-correlation in Hedge Funds (Pragmatic Capitalism) - On the heels of the embarassing Bloomberg BusinessWeek cover photo, Cullen Roche piles on by pointing out that many hedge fund investors are paying two and twenty for an index ETF. Ouch.

3) As Its Ratings Slide, The Confessions Of A Recovering CNBC Pundit (Forbes) - Here's a particularly nasty hit piece written by whom I can only assume is a former friend of Larry Kudlow's. The business network wars are for real, and I hear all kinds of nasty stuff through the contacts I have at the various networks. You usually don't see it spill out on the page like this, though.

4) Caught On Tape: Irish Bankers Laugh About Never Repaying Bailout (

) - This is pretty awful, and it was well on it's way to becoming Video of the Week until it was unseated by what you'll find below. I think if a conversation like this were revealed between American TARP recipients, there would be riots in the streets.

5) The best investment advice you'll never get (Modern Luxury) - This is remarkable. Picture this: you were an early employee at Google, it's 2004 and the company is about to IPO, and within days you're going to be a multimillionaire. Legions of Wall Street vipers are circling, just waiting to get their hands on the assets of all the newly minted Google millionaires. If you're Google, how do you protect your employees? You bring in Bill Sharpe, Burton Malkiel, and Jack Bogle to teach them all personal finance. Wall Street never stood a chance.

6) Expert calls James Gandolfini’s will 'a disaster' because almost half of his $70 million fortune will go to taxes (Daily Mail) - This is just tragic, and highlights how critical proper estate planning is. Despite the amazing body of work Gandolfini left behind, almost half of his $70 million fortune will go to taxes.

7) Watch out for the hot flushes (a few billion years away): Earth enters its mid-life crisis (The Independent) - It's a shame I won't be around to see it, because the end of the world sounds like a party.

8) Get Off Your Butt: 16 Ways to Get Motivated When You’re in a Slump (Zen Habits) - Summer time can be a killer when it comes to sapping motivation. Here's a few hacks to help keep your eye on the ball.

9) How Microsoft handed the NSA access to encrypted messages (The Guardian) - This is really messed up. And just when I thought Microsoft was starting to get their shit together. Now I'm all paranoid about using Office 365. You know they gave the feds access to the cloud.

10) Nadia (IndieGoGo) - As a former Marine who neither lives in a trailer nor works in a bowling alley, I'm approached fairly often by my brothers in arms with various pitches to fund certain former Marine activities. Some are very good and I don't hesitate to pitch in. Some...well, I'll just let this campaign speak for itself. All joking aside, I'm seriously considering throwing a grand at this thing just to see this level of schlock get made. Anyway, it's gotta be better than After Earth, right?

Video of the Week:

This video is dedicated to all you guys in a relationship. A buddy of mine sent it to me last night and I immediately shared it with Patrick, where we proceeded to laugh our asses off. So sad, and so true. Enjoy:

That's it for this week, stallions. Have a fantastic weekend, and let me know what you think about this week's batch of bananas in the comments!

That video. Is. Fucking. Amazing.

-guy in a relaylay

"For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen."

Quazie:

Eddie, this may be jumping the gun (I'm half way through your book), but whens the gmail book coming out?

I'm going to get it out as quickly as possible, but it's not going to happen before I go on vacation in two weeks. I get back mid-August, so I'm thinking early September. If you need some tips in the meantime, though, just let me know. What's your major pain point with Gmail right now, or what do you wish it were better at?

Eddie, you should keep a running counter of how many copies "Best of Braverman" has sold, for those of us keeping score at home.

Also, I assume the words "Volume 1" necessitate a "Volume 2?"

Metal. Music. Life. www.headofmetal.com

Nothing specific. I can't say I really have any problems simply because I don't do anything outside of send emails and receive emails. I imagine if I actually knew what it was capable of though, I would have more specific questions for you. Really looking forward to the book when it comes out.

Also, I love your Best of Braverman book right now. I love the in your face, tell you like it is, no bullshit way you right, but still maintaining that humor.

Fuga itaque iure vero a rerum unde excepturi. Quaerat numquam et et ipsam veniam voluptas. Repellat amet ipsum modi omnis necessitatibus rem eaque vel.

Libero ut exercitationem blanditiis repellat magnam sunt voluptatibus id. Pariatur reprehenderit voluptatum adipisci et minus.

Dolores tempore vitae et odit provident numquam. Porro iure harum minus ut aut modi. Ut sint voluptatem molestias tempore repellendus rerum id omnis. Unde sint sit cupiditate modi quaerat molestias. Asperiores blanditiis earum aut aut voluptate tempora.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”