Bonus Bananas July 5, 2013

1) IRS Challenges RenTech Tax Strategy (FIN Alternatives) - Pro tip: when your employer says you're probably going to be fine if you employ a particularly aggressive tax strategy, you'd better set a little aside for the fines a few years down the road.

2) Winklevoss Twins Launch IPO for Bitcoin-Tracking Stock (Wall Street Journal) - They may have lost their $100 billion company to Mark Zuckerberg, but they'll be damned if they can't tank an IPO faster than he can.

3) How Startup Valuation Works – Measuring a Company’s Potential (Funders & Founders) - Here's a great infographic on how to value something with...well...nebulous value. Valuing startups is something of a black art, but this breaks it down pretty well.

4) Benjamin Franklin's Best Productivity Tricks (Lifehacker) - There's no doubt that Ben Franklin was the Tim Ferriss of his day, so who better to lay out productivity hacks on the week of the 4th of July?

5) 6 BUSINESS LESSONS FROM LOSING MY FATHER (Transpiral) - I lost my dad six years ago on the same day the author of this piece lost hers. One thing they both had in common was that they were finished: there was nothing left that they wanted to do in life. That's a pretty good way to face death and, by extension, life.

6) Richard Branson on Business Lessons From Parenting (Entrepreneur) - Speaking of fathers, here's Richard Branson's take on what fatherhood has taught him about business. I'll tell you what it's taught me: you can't fire your kids, because most days mine would be. Like, Sofa King fired.

7) Oregon Explores Novel Way to Fund College (Wall Street Journal) - Would you give up 3-percent of your annual income for the next twenty-four years to attend school for free? Well, probably not any school in Oregon, but still.

8) Breaking the College Tuition Monopoly (CNBC) - The evidence is piling up that student loan debt is a life-wrecker. One interesting statistic: those with student loan debt are 38% less likely to own a home - and that's across all income levels. Barber college is looking better all the time.

9) Americans Love Food Fast, More Than Fast Food (Yahoo! Finance) - I'm as big a fan of the leisurely dinner as anyone, but when it comes to lunch you'd better get it to me quick. Unfortunately, I live in a country peopled by wait staff who make "stop" look fast.

10) Chick Bends Over To Vomit In Porta-Potty Toilet, Falls Inside (Total Frat Move) - Bar none, my favorite story of the week. Things like this renew my faith in humanity.

Video of the Week:

If you haven't seen Adam Carolla's 2007 movie The Hammer, you should probably stop what you're doing right now and go rent it. It is hysterically funny, and I was pretty skeptical going into it. So I was pretty excited to see that Bryan Cranston was going to be in Carolla's new movie. That is, until I watched this. Funny stuff:

That's it for this week, stallions. Let me know what you think of this week's Banana's in the comments, and have a fantastic weekend!

RenTech's portfolio buy-back arrangement is actually pretty ingenious. I wonder how many other HFs employ the same strategy so that their employees too can pay long term capital gain tax instead of income tax. The differences between the two rates is very substantial especially if you make extra additional arrangements to help you avoid NY State and City capital gain taxes (e.g. claim residency or incorporate in FL).

Too late for second-guessing Too late to go back to sleep.

Non libero eos aliquam consequatur nostrum iusto enim. Voluptate excepturi et nostrum dolor beatae eum excepturi minus. Iusto iusto omnis fugit quos in ipsum. Et temporibus et fugiat voluptates. Quia et debitis ad quos.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 18 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”