I would create my own archipelago in the shape of an "M"

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

It’s very interesting to see people like Musk and Bezos still working even after making that type of money. Like even after $219 MM or $21.9M I would have retired permanently. What exactly is the end goal for billionaires who continue the grind?

Array

Most Helpful

Did you ever play Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 or any of the games in that series? Google it if not. After you unlock all of the guns, perks, attachments, etc. you have basically won the game. You're as deadly as you can possibly be and you can focus your entire time on dominating other players / winning matches.

However, the game offers you an option to "Prestige". Basically resets your account back to zero. Now you have very few usable guns, perks, attachments etc. But next to your name, there is a little icon that shows how many times you've "Prestiged". Sounds stupid, yet so many players did it.

Why? Because leveling up is fun. The grind is fun. It gives you a purpose in the game outside of just owning newbs and winning matches. And to top it all off, everyone knows you're a serious gamer because you've got that little icon that says you've prestiged x times.

I have to imagine billionaires think similar to this. They are incredibly bored just being rich and relaxing. So they keep grinding, keep making that little number associated with their name go higher and higher. Because it's fun and they want to be #1.

My perspective on this has changed since I have retired plus interacted with a lot of other people who have retired. For people who have made a ridiculous amount of money in life (I don’t fall into this category), the work environment is a very different place. When the founder of the company walks into a room, (s)he is the absolute boss and everybody grovels at his feet. Whatever he says goes — he can override pretty much any decision. If he doesn’t want to attend a meeting or even go into the office that day — screw it, nobody can say anything. In this environment, going to work can be incredibly fun and empowering. You cannot replicate that feeling at home, in a fancy restaurant, or even sailing around on a yacht with your family. Basically, when you’re the big dawg and winning, work suddenly becomes a really positive environment. This is true not only for people like Elon Musk but also investment banking MDs, PE partners, lawyers, etc.

CompBanker’s Career Guidance Services: https://www.rossettiadvisors.com/

the grind and fun is in the winning and in the process

money is just a byproduct that affirms your position 

219 billion would be a problem due to what the market has been looking like, there is a limit to how many mansions, jets, yachts one can buy 

so the money eventually needs to go back to the market 

20 billion dollars is a glass ceiling in which you can buy the best art, chateaus in France, sports franchises, and a lot of domestic help.

so at the crux, it comes down to philanthropy and making more money 

Jean_Henry

219 billion would be a problem due to what the market has been looking like, there is a limit to how many mansions, jets, yachts one can buy 

You'd have your local boat: $100K, your 1 Bedroom maybe for $1M, your mid distance yacht $50M, your mega yacht $600M. You don't really need any more boats than this. Maybe a cigarette boat but that's it. 

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

The main concept here is that $219 billion dollars is pretty hard to comprehend. It's insane. 

Honestly it's amazing to see this in action. I don't subscribe to 'worshiping Elon' as some people do, but it is genuinely amazing what happens when a man with amazing vision grinds his way to the absolute top & now has the power to buy entire companies worth tens of billions of dollars -- as a personal side project! 

IMO this is the true beauty of capitalism

2 chicks

at the same time

"The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than cowardly" - Robert A. Wilson | "If you don't have any enemies in life you have never stood up for anything" - Winston Churchill | "It's a testament to the sheer belligerence of the profession that people would rather argue about the 'risk-adjusted returns' of using inferior tooth cleaning methods." - kellycriterion

Honestly I'd use that to kick-start my own country. Only accept high-skilled laborers allowed, low taxes, extremely clean streets, high degrees of automation. It would be benevolent dictatorship. I guess you could say I'd want to create the next Singapore 

Vel optio est consequatur nostrum blanditiis error nesciunt. Rerum consequatur voluptatem veniam est exercitationem libero quos. Odio tempora atque vitae sint quibusdam provident atque.

Quisquam rem debitis officia ipsa incidunt tenetur eum. Impedit adipisci illum voluptatem magnam ipsam neque magnam.

Aut qui quia quae non. Vel voluptas delectus quia assumenda voluptates nam. Rem quibusdam saepe non id amet et autem aut. Doloribus illo est placeat cum.

Necessitatibus porro laborum est dolores. Eum blanditiis pariatur ad magni veniam. Asperiores eos doloribus quo architecto cum ad.

Et molestiae minima fugit omnis molestiae nam et. Eum quia voluptatem quisquam aut aliquam. Est ut asperiores et suscipit at.

Ducimus itaque et vitae at inventore pariatur. Aut aut vero qui enim ut quasi. Aut voluptatum accusantium voluptate qui dolorem. Corrupti animi a dolores. Quibusdam beatae rerum eum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”