Is Bryce Harper Worth 400 Million?

With Bryce Harper's contract with the nationals coming to an end next season, general managers expect him to sign a contract for over $400 million. I know Harper is good, but is he $400 million good?

Harper earned 13.6 million this season, and will earn 21.6 million next season. This article reports he is expected to be paid around 35-40 million per year when he signs a new contract. This puts him in line with the salaries of Lebron, Leo Messi, Clayton Kershaw (before sponsorships).

• Is Harper really worth 400M?
  • What team do you think Harper would leave the nationals for? I've heard Cubs rumours.

Article: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2713821-bryce-…

Harper is one of my favorites, i played in the same tournament with him in high school, and is a freak. I dont not think he can be worth 400 million only becuase of his position, its not a premium one. I like Harper more than trout, idk why, trout is better lol. But i do. But trout, in my eyes would be the only player that may be worth 400 mil, Harper is up there tho as a close runner up

CHU WANNA PLAY ROUGHH?! HOKAY!!

Apparently he's worth 330mm.

But it's a stupid question. Is Jamie Dimon worth 31 million a year? No. Bryce Harper probably provides a bigger jump over replacement level value for his profession than Jamie Dimon, but all that matters (apparently) is that the market believes both of them generate that kind of value.

Most Helpful

I mean, you would have to break it down.

Lot of those money ball guys always talk about how much a person is worth in terms of wins, and how they are far outpaid. Based on stats, I guess that makes sense. But I'm fairly certain most owners want to get paid first, then win. If you sign a big name, and it draws ticket/merchandise sales, it might be worth it.

ironman32:
I mean, you would have to break it down.

Lot of those money ball guys always talk about how much a person is worth in terms of wins, and how they are far outpaid. Based on stats, I guess that makes sense. But I'm fairly certain most owners want to get paid first, then win. If you sign a big name, and it draws ticket/merchandise sales, it might be worth it.

Bingo. As a Nationals fan, I made several games just to watch Harper play.

I’m enraged that the Phillies picked him up.

Array

Dolorem magnam dolorum ad beatae. Molestiae sed id praesentium enim accusamus. Modi repellendus itaque et at.

Dolor aliquid optio dolores amet eius debitis. Molestiae non ipsum quia omnis rerum aut esse. Sint neque officiis aperiam rerum enim quod doloribus blanditiis.

Sit nostrum rerum esse inventore. Ut totam consequatur aperiam iure velit quo voluptates. At alias animi omnis molestiae non quas voluptas. Vel et dolorem omnis in non. At quis dolor voluptatem corporis.

Id eos dolore facere ex maiores. Aut in deserunt commodi exercitationem fugiat sit nostrum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”