New Years 1999

Nothing earth-shattering today, just a reminiscence of what things were like 10 years ago. As I stood on the Champs Elysees last night at midnight, surrounded by a million of my closest friends, I couldn't help remembering how the decade began for me.

Most of you will remember that the world was supposed to end on January 1, 2000 thanks to the Y2K computer glitch. Planes were supposed to drop out of the sky, microwave ovens were supposed to blow up, and wild hordes of looters were supposed to take to the streets raping and pillaging. The reality was a bit less dramatic.

I spent the turn of the millennium in the Algarve in Portugal. I rented this villa with a couple buddies (and our wives) and we had a ball. Another buddy of mine got married in Dublin on December 30, so I'd spent the previous week in Ireland bombed out of my mind. We were all flush with dot com dough and spent a couple weeks like absolute ballers. While we were there, Qualcomm split 4:1 and almost ran back up to its pre-split price. Shit was crazy.

I had no idea what the coming decade held in store. I'd get divorced and remarried (actually, the divorce didn't come as much of a shock), the stock market would crash twice (and I timed the first one almost perfectly - just dumb luck), I had businesses fail and succeed, I'd end up adopting a couple of Russian kids, wild shit.

No real point here beside the obvious fact that it's better to be open to change than to resist it. The Chinese have a saying that is both a blessing and a curse: May you live in interesting times. Or if you prefer, in the eloquent drunken voice of Gunney Highway from Heartbreak Ridge, "You can rob me, you can starve me, you can beat me, and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."

It's back to work on Monday kids. Have a great weekend and let's make the next decade one for the books.

I was with a few of my good buddies last night, and we were talking about the past 10 years, how there were so many changes and how each of us took different paths to get to where we are today. I think in 10 years, I will look back at the decade of 2010, and feel great about how I confronted today's constantly changing world.

runningcitylikediddy:
I was with a few of my good buddies last night, and we were talking about the past 10 years, how there were so many changes and how each of us took different paths to get to where we are today. I think in 10 years, I will look back at the decade of 2010, and feel great about how I confronted today's constantly changing world.

Wow. I hope you didn't have tears running down your face. I was too busy getting sloshed since I have one week of vacation left (first full week of vacation EVER since college!)

Blanditiis laboriosam error ea. Nesciunt neque repudiandae neque iste ut. Maxime provident nemo libero velit quidem exercitationem.

In est est ipsum ratione non illum vel fuga. Dolorum vel ex mollitia tenetur sint quia. Libero enim saepe repudiandae officiis repellendus deserunt sequi. Qui vel impedit earum quaerat quidem et.

Suscipit praesentium quibusdam qui saepe. At omnis est nesciunt dolorem beatae sit.

Ab sequi maiores pariatur nam numquam recusandae perspiciatis. Ipsam eaque velit numquam aliquid aut doloribus. Aperiam labore dicta accusamus velit inventore voluptatum. Consequatur voluptatem exercitationem necessitatibus iste qui sed ipsa eaque. Veniam quisquam eum laborum est molestias. Ducimus recusandae molestiae veniam voluptatem adipisci alias et adipisci.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (89) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”