NYC Rent Poll - Sept 2022

As everyone knows the market for apartments in NYC is insane right now so wanted to get some data points from the community. 

Am currently living in a 1 BR / 1.5 Bath ~1,000 sq ft condo in midtown (1980s building with good amenities) and am on a 2-year COVID deal which is just being renegotiated. My lease was ~$4K/month (this unit historically rented for between $4.1-4.4K pre-COVID which may be lower than market bc of condo move-in fees and the fact that it is an older building). Over the weekend my landlord reached out saying he received an unsolicited offer from a broker for over $5.2K and wants to negotiate. 

For NYC folks out there - would love to hear your experiences and more interestingly, what you are paying relative to your base salaries (I am pretty frugal and budget everything off of my base). For instance:

1 BR / 1.5 Bath in Midtown East
950 sq feet
Pool / Gym / 1980s building
$4,000 / month (21% of base), potentially increasing to $5,200 / month (28% of base)
$225K base

I feel you - my current building got bought out by a real estate PE fund and everyone is essentially getting pushed out.  Hard to hate the same machine that also employs me, but it's tough out there.  

Moving to another apartment with my SO, with our rent going from 15% of combined base to 25%.  Both are ~700 sq.ft., downtown, and post-war (pre-80s though).

You sure you're comfortable using your gross base to make these calculations??? Once you take taxes into account, that 4k nut becomes a HUGE part of your take-home pay, no? 

Most Helpful
Abu Nazir

As everyone knows the market for apartments in NYC is insane right now so wanted to get some data points from the community. 

Am currently living in a 1 BR / 1.5 Bath ~1,000 sq ft condo in midtown (1980s building with good amenities) and am on a 2-year COVID deal which is just being renegotiated. My lease was ~$4K/month (this unit historically rented for between $4.1-4.4K pre-COVID which may be lower than market bc of condo move-in fees and the fact that it is an older building). Over the weekend my landlord reached out saying he received an unsolicited offer from a broker for over $5.2K and wants to negotiate. 

For NYC folks out there - would love to hear your experiences and more interestingly, what you are paying relative to your base salaries (I am pretty frugal and budget everything off of my base). For instance:

1 BR / 1.5 Bath in Midtown East
950 sq feet
Pool / Gym / 1980s building
$4,000 / month (21% of base), potentially increasing to $5,200 / month (28% of base)
$225K base

OK, so first off, you're looking at this all wrong.  What you can afford has nothing to do with market prices.  For example, your current rent is $50/sf, which is insanely low for Manhattan.  The fact that this is a meaningful proportion of your take home pay (though, not an unreasonable amount) has absolutely no relevance to what the right rent is for that apartment.  As you say, you got a great deal because you moved during COVID - that does not entitle you to keep a sweetheart deal just because.  Moreover, you live in a 1,000 sf apartment!  That's a roomy 2 bedroom, frankly... so you have way too much apartment, so to speak, for one person.

Even at $5,200 your landlord is probably selling themselves short.

All that being said, your proper move is probably to meet your landlord "halfway" and offer him $5,000/mo or something.  That's still well below market, it saves you the hassle of moving, probably easier for your landlord... everyone wins.

I'm just always amazed (not really, though) and the number of people on this site who are gung-ho proponents of the free market until the second it impacts them, and then they're crying for special treatment.  Not that you are crying or whining, OP, but... this is essentially a complaint that you don't get to keep a sweetheart deal in one of the most expensive housing districts in the entire world.

Distinctio quo et et animi vel non autem maxime. Dolores quam est voluptas modi voluptas fugit.

Est atque placeat nam minus dolorum sequi. Praesentium expedita consectetur mollitia aut. Dolores et animi consequatur ex facilis officia.

Omnis totam ut omnis sed et. Ad praesentium aut facere modi. Voluptatibus et non ullam aperiam reprehenderit quaerat et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”