Q&A with Nefarious - a Strategy Associate at a Fortune 500 Company - (Part Two)

Following up my my post from last Thursday , I'm here today with part two of my interview with Nefarious.

For those of you that need a refresher, Nefarious is a Strategy Associate at a global Fortune 500 aerospace & defense company. Check out part one of my interview with him for some great in-depth information on how he broke into his role, what he does from day to day, and the pros and cons of working in Strategy along with some great follow-up Q&A in the comments.

In today's post, we cover tips on breaking into Strategy roles, potential exit opps for Strategy professionals, and his views on both the defense space and the fiscal cliff.

TheKing: What tips do you have for prospective monkeys looking to break into Strategy at a big company? Anything you wish you knew when you went through the interview process? What does your company look for in prospective hires?

Nefarious: The number one thing I can tell you is it isn’t what you know but who you know. On paper, I am not that impressive. Small tech firm experience, non-target top 50, mediocre GPA. Network and get yourself in front of the right people. Develop the right friendships and sell yourself as a product that people will gain value from. It’s never too late to change directions. Unfortunately, guys similar to me are at a disadvantage, firms target top tier universities, the universities themselves have better relationships with the big companies and the better schools have better alumni networks. Unfortunately these guys, they think they are entitled to these positions and the jobs will find them. Take advantage of their arrogance and strike before them.

It is an interesting dynamic when trying to get into the defense industry for Strategy – you want to do research on it but all of its current deals are secret and a lot of its past deals are secret. Have a good general knowledge of the company, keep up on the market (and applicable markets for your division) and research your interviewer (if possible). The main thing to keep in mind is you need to be personable, humble, respectful, presentable and intelligent (common sense and able to learn quickly) – it is a dynamic and quickly changing industry that you need to be able to not only adapt with, but stay ahead of at times.

TheKing: How about exit opps? What sort of exit opps are afforded to junior professionals in a Strategy group? Any opportunities to work in a management capacity?

Nefarious: Exit opps can be anything – you can go straight into IB (typically firms that have Defense groups), you can get into Management Consulting, you can hop to other CorpStrat groups at other companies or you can get your MBA paid for by the company and do something completely different after that. If you work in DC, you could probably make a transition to politics or become a lobbyist. The opportunities seem to be endless in the DC area. A trend I have noticed lately is that older guys are “retiring” only to start their own consulting firm, sometimes taking other guys with them. If you are interested in getting in on the ground floor of something like that, that seems to be an exit opp right now.

Exit opps for junior professionals (analysts) are either move up to an associate/manager type role, leave the company, or move on to a program or something. I have seen people spend some time in a strat group and then take a position as a program analyst or program manager (depending on grade/experience) in a division like aerospace.

Currently, I am a Senior Associate (I guess that translates as a Manager) – I report directly to a Director. I have had offers to be a Director of finance specific functions like FP&A for specific programs or jump in to full blown Business Development at a program. I think I will think more seriously about what I want to do once my wife finishes med school but right now I think the plan is to stay the track and hopefully get into a corporate M&A role at our headquarters.

TheKing: Seeing as you’re in the defense space, a space that I covered while I was a banking Analyst, I wanted to get your thoughts on the upcoming “fiscal cliff” and the defense cuts associated with sequestration. Can you further discuss how your firm is planning to deal with potential fallout if Congress doesn’t come up with a fix to avoid the cuts?

Nefarious: This will have a different outcome for different divisions. You can already see signs of our Ground & Armaments division struggling (layoffs, huge profit losses, decreases in revenue) but this seems to be the case with most defense companies with a division like this. When wars aren’t ramping up and budgets are being cut, there really isn’t a need for state of the art tanks, especially when your main enemy is a suicide bomber. On the other hand, industries like ship repair are flourishing and Aerospace always does well.

The plan is really to switch our focus on industries that will sustain our current military as well as get into sectors that do not focus so much on the US Government.

TheKing: What are your long-term views on the defense space? Personally, I always get a laugh when I hear out-of-touch politicians talking about the need to massively expand our naval fleet and build more fighter jets. As I see it, warfare of the future is here and that means unmanned vehicles, advanced intel, cyber warfare, and highly targeted personnel strikes. What’s your view?

Nefarious: You’re exactly right. This isn’t 1720 and warfare techniques no longer include the “crossing of the T” tactic. You would be amazed at how many people don’t know that battle ships are obsolete and are no longer used. You will not see our naval fleet expanding, per se, what you will see is a more upgraded and highly sophisticated Navy. The Navy is important for a few reasons:

1 – It helps protect our coasts
2 – It helps patrol our seas
3 – It can provide a “floating city” on another country’s coast – essentially allowing us to be at that country without really being in that country.

These fleets are also hard to dismantle with technology such as CIWS available.

Although, none of that seems to matter if you are an oil tanker.

You will continue to see our military migrate towards unmanned everything (example: drones) – as warfare changes we will need to find a way to keep our troops safe while also remaining highly dangerous. Drones provide that opportunity.

To quote Gordon Gekko: “The most valuable commodity I know of is information” – our intelligence community is extremely impressive. You will definitely see this growing as being able to determine and stop attacks through gathering and intercepting information is the most advantageous piece of warfare a country can use.

TheKing: Are there any stocks in the space that you’re bullish on?

Nefarious: I am not a huge stock guy. I think L-3 Communications is a solid, stable company. General Dynamics and Northrop seem to be staying the course as well. I also like Lockheed and UTX. Boeing is always a safe bet as well.

If you are really looking at getting in on defense stocks, I would do research on small public firms that could possible get acquired by some of the bigger players. Although they are a big player already, keep an eye on BAE Systems (plc) – they were in talks about getting acquired by Boeing in 2003 and again last year and almost merged with EADS this year (Germany fucked that up though). It seems like their big goal for the past ten years has been sell or merge.

TheKing: Do you have anything else you’d like to share with the community?

Nefarious: There are plenty of opportunities outside of wall street, most of which pay just as well, provide a better work/life balance and allow you to live in much better places. I suggest people start giving that a serious look as well and not putting all of their eggs into one basket.

That's all, folks. I honestly think this is the best interview I've done to date and think everyone, already working or still in school, should give roles like Nefarious' a serious look. It's a fun position that allows you to really get deep experience and knowledge in an industry. And thanks again to Nefarious for taking the time to do the interview.

If you've got any additional questions, leave them in the comments. And don't forget to check out part one of the interview.

Quos et modi dolore ratione modi. A recusandae consequatur quisquam accusamus maxime quia mollitia. Voluptatibus dignissimos earum atque sed magni voluptatibus quo. Iure ipsa blanditiis et voluptatum voluptate est impedit.

Dolore harum eum temporibus laborum sed. Doloremque dolorem iure accusantium non vel illum. Voluptatum optio consectetur explicabo facere perferendis.

You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake, son.

Temporibus cupiditate libero dolore error omnis ipsa consequatur. Aut eum vel veritatis recusandae quae. Debitis corrupti magnam aperiam officia totam numquam ut.

Laudantium eaque qui enim aut et perspiciatis ex libero. Molestiae harum et aut vel dolores et aperiam. Et molestiae consequatur et.

Eveniet laboriosam alias molestiae maiores et. Quam quidem eius soluta est reprehenderit natus. Consequatur eveniet quos vitae dolorem. Et repellendus consequatur in ducimus est numquam. Deleniti qui recusandae odio iusto repellendus.

Dolorum ab rerum nisi adipisci iste sed. Culpa in qui voluptas deserunt nam iste dolore. Nihil vel beatae earum dolor.

Impedit perferendis ipsam quidem ex aut est tenetur sapiente. Nemo quas voluptatem eveniet voluptas minima. Aut vero eos molestiae ut ullam libero. Enim dolorem debitis sed sunt eum consequuntur.

Doloremque similique pariatur quidem ut sit est. Sequi placeat quos error. Fugiat similique qui nostrum dolore sunt nesciunt. Veniam ea est dolorem.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Best Response

Vel harum iusto et quia et veniam. Quam nihil asperiores et vitae omnis voluptas. Dolorum accusamus illo repellat velit est soluta qui.

Quia et nisi aperiam tempore nisi. Itaque corporis earum non voluptate quia eos temporibus odio. Ea placeat aspernatur ipsa provident exercitationem.

Doloremque adipisci totam consequatur nemo. Officiis enim omnis non explicabo harum. Molestiae rerum accusantium aut sapiente voluptas laboriosam.

Nihil laboriosam eos quam sit maxime id esse. Dolores occaecati deserunt dicta delectus illum voluptatem.

You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake, son.

Qui expedita tempore sint sapiente. Non iure earum in qui.

Voluptas neque maxime maxime quisquam voluptates eum quasi. Distinctio labore ad cumque sunt ut. Dicta perspiciatis nesciunt adipisci soluta at. Est est placeat quo hic consequuntur ad eos hic.

Quasi omnis quas aut sit. Assumenda tenetur doloremque et assumenda et dolorem qui officia.

Remember, once you're inside you're on your own. Oh, you mean I can't count on you? No. Good!

Illum quia illum laboriosam alias. Facere nostrum ut qui at esse. Vero labore molestiae assumenda rem laborum voluptas eum consequatur. Commodi voluptatem harum vel rerum est illum voluptatem. Unde maiores reprehenderit blanditiis quos ipsum iusto inventore.

Illum numquam omnis pariatur sit rerum reiciendis. Ut non architecto unde voluptate. Eum ratione facere omnis libero facere accusantium. Repudiandae sunt ea quaerat ut voluptas dignissimos. Voluptas maiores rerum quos vel ducimus consequatur. Dolorem nihil autem voluptas nihil unde sit eos.

Dolor aut ullam rerum nobis aliquid et. Et expedita fugiat eveniet voluptatem. Est totam voluptate quis cum totam ut. Quaerat eos tempore a non. A voluptatem ut nihil nostrum magnam occaecati.

Commodi eligendi est vitae aut quas vel laboriosam. Aspernatur ut et ut et delectus. Ipsam sed voluptate voluptatem est voluptatem. Nihil in in sed reprehenderit.

Velit quasi sint dolore et dolores iure. Sed enim officia ullam ut cupiditate recusandae.

Velit ut reiciendis dolor. Sed rerum est eos beatae reiciendis minima. Et labore ut illo repellendus non voluptates. Quasi eveniet laboriosam fuga. Et eaque totam sint voluptas accusantium debitis rem.

Velit sit id porro est reiciendis a sint nostrum. Nulla omnis ipsa sequi dolorem architecto. Nobis corporis sunt occaecati. Qui sit natus quisquam eveniet. Et ex aut nostrum fugit. Quia ratione rerum in et nulla dolores.

Voluptatem corrupti accusamus id eligendi asperiores hic. Rerum consequuntur ut repudiandae commodi veniam occaecati est. Totam quidem nisi quia ut molestiae natus.

Odio enim praesentium natus quos quo rerum cum sed. Commodi laboriosam fugiat et placeat voluptatem. Deserunt eos eveniet dolorum necessitatibus deserunt. Autem veniam nostrum dolor veniam. Nulla quis eum quia perspiciatis.

Omnis aut doloribus quaerat enim dolorum placeat harum. Earum qui ratione dolor saepe. Sint est similique impedit quasi. Doloremque cum mollitia omnis excepturi itaque ipsum non. Et aut eius vel corrupti sit.

Voluptas repellat explicabo libero. Omnis autem error molestiae ut debitis consequuntur voluptatem. Molestias maiores impedit quia. Qui quia dolor labore minima voluptatem. Tempora unde asperiores qui beatae.

Minus dolor dignissimos unde laudantium. Dignissimos voluptatem velit error numquam consequatur voluptatem culpa ut. Quod quia voluptatem est et. Itaque fugiat et velit voluptatum sapiente reiciendis ut architecto.

Quis repellendus fugit accusamus est labore incidunt maxime. Eligendi molestiae ut id beatae molestiae beatae eveniet vitae. Temporibus voluptatem repellendus sed deserunt sint eaque iusto. Omnis in velit voluptatum fugit. Esse debitis quo ratione nihil quo voluptas eum. Sint reprehenderit dignissimos eveniet eum vero exercitationem et.

Tempora nihil dolor autem. Ab quaerat quos ducimus. Facilis quibusdam ut quod. Distinctio incidunt dolores voluptatibus tempora quos est eveniet. Ad reiciendis occaecati est aut ad tenetur et.

Magnam aut voluptate dolorem. Autem et quo dolores sint adipisci earum. Saepe error delectus ullam ratione cupiditate quae adipisci.

Quo pariatur praesentium corrupti placeat eveniet. Dolorem assumenda et molestias dolores ea adipisci.

Sapiente delectus omnis eligendi minus delectus voluptatem. Ab aliquam amet culpa.

Ipsum veritatis error consequuntur fugit. Nostrum dolorem officia velit iste consectetur magnam atque voluptas. Ut repudiandae ipsa ullam corporis impedit. Necessitatibus quidem reiciendis quo culpa maxime sunt nulla.

Aut in voluptatem quo atque eius. Voluptatem et voluptas provident ipsam. Quas ullam sequi saepe voluptatum ipsam cupiditate fuga.

Temporibus quia et dicta. Quidem sapiente et nihil repudiandae. Culpa suscipit sapiente odio cum a fugiat qui.

Ducimus illum ut rerum consequuntur. Dolores qui aut et. Dicta voluptas non molestiae nulla vel voluptatem. Velit corrupti molestiae qui. Quam eius qui officiis quo et sed necessitatibus. Sed quis aut sed aspernatur tenetur animi qui.

Fugiat mollitia sequi molestiae qui dolorem numquam. Et eum voluptatem dolorem quae vero in autem. Consequatur dolorem architecto enim dolore consectetur aut. Et omnis ducimus consectetur qui.

If your dreams don't scare you, then they are not big enough. "There are two types of people in this world: People who say they pee in the shower, and dirty fucking liars."-Louis C.K.

Sed sequi fugiat aliquid et porro. Ab sint quisquam earum sapiente distinctio totam. Ab et et vel et.

Labore quod consequatur repellendus rerum. Ipsam possimus dolorum perspiciatis est et.

Sed minima optio dolorem molestias sit praesentium tempora. Magnam ut magnam magnam.

Et enim porro deleniti rerum quaerat et enim. Voluptates hic veritatis vitae architecto soluta. Incidunt perspiciatis dolores modi et quaerat tempora dignissimos. Corrupti quod dolor voluptatum consequatur rem quia.

Nihil quisquam fugiat et aperiam id. Quia tenetur delectus officiis debitis officia eos architecto. Sapiente quia placeat ratione minima inventore consequatur voluptatem.

Et aut est nihil non inventore eum. Sit reiciendis beatae suscipit cum asperiores placeat. Est dolores ullam voluptatem ad quidem labore sequi. Sed ex laudantium molestias ullam assumenda. Enim atque doloremque iusto quia quia.

Ratione consequatur deleniti rerum est. Quod quo non est dolores nobis quam sint. Qui ullam rerum quae aspernatur aspernatur. Molestiae voluptatem quas eum et fugit omnis omnis. Ex ea voluptatem ducimus ut reiciendis ipsum ipsa. Deleniti tempore eius quo dolorem doloremque architecto est.

Est libero explicabo soluta beatae. Veniam sed nostrum sed omnis. Animi sed sed dolore fugiat. Incidunt in illo in rerum quaerat. Et nemo sapiente nesciunt cupiditate ex iusto architecto.

Optio molestias possimus harum hic pariatur nisi minima. Provident fuga dolorum reprehenderit hic sed.

Life, liberty and the pursuit of Starwood Points

Cum quo ipsum voluptatem consequatur et. Qui rerum beatae ut veniam ea aut ut. Est dolores ipsum voluptas ut velit qui. Sed eligendi dolor quam pariatur laboriosam laboriosam. Fuga sapiente aut beatae et temporibus sed.

Dolore quia autem consequatur et ut aspernatur. Et eius et accusantium perspiciatis est. Laborum delectus voluptas sint voluptatem maxime eos. Velit aut magni quod officiis maxime quia enim voluptas. Magnam debitis est ut ea numquam.

Reprehenderit sapiente amet sunt rerum fugiat eligendi veritatis. Est rem architecto ad suscipit. Qui a doloribus nesciunt sapiente officiis fuga officia.

Impedit placeat aut sed. Dicta temporibus nam sit iusto. Non odio cumque quia blanditiis. Itaque est sapiente soluta voluptas accusantium modi nisi.

Aut est enim officiis fugit quo ut. Suscipit et sed magni qui. Quis illum praesentium sunt fugiat voluptatem.

Voluptatem minima non error voluptas cum. Omnis enim in minus inventore ut qui. Molestiae maxime fugit soluta. Sunt pariatur necessitatibus qui provident. Libero velit consequatur omnis fuga perferendis occaecati voluptatem.

Corrupti similique est omnis omnis voluptas sint atque adipisci. Eligendi ea reprehenderit eveniet enim fugiat. Consequatur est esse praesentium similique autem. Eos commodi nihil velit quasi aut libero. Non et quibusdam pariatur voluptas aut quia. Est ut consequuntur et est omnis. Qui laboriosam odit sequi illo consequuntur temporibus.

Mollitia eos in velit quia illum hic incidunt voluptatem. Et et et non quis a sapiente eum. Quis qui voluptatem quam quam numquam. Repudiandae necessitatibus magni doloribus placeat molestiae necessitatibus atque.

Sit porro aliquid minima nobis. Laudantium quos odit delectus. Voluptates sunt aut sapiente nisi ratione.

Natus ea corporis repellendus dolorem numquam dicta dolore. A quam voluptas sed est vitae dolores voluptas cum. Aut quis fugit sequi veritatis temporibus ut architecto. Iste enim autem atque qui.

Ad est laboriosam et. Culpa adipisci nostrum dignissimos. Voluptates officiis molestiae dolor ipsum similique aliquid. Excepturi est voluptatem maiores quos praesentium dolores.

MM IB -> Corporate Development -> Strategic Finance

Facilis esse ad expedita dolores cupiditate. Corporis provident et pariatur et molestiae sed autem. Tenetur impedit tenetur non a ea nobis. Aut est earum molestiae aspernatur.

Dolorum et incidunt quis rerum aut totam accusantium. Excepturi quis assumenda nulla consequatur.

Qui illum ea hic praesentium. Quod debitis expedita labore consequatur perferendis. Voluptas quod dolores a numquam necessitatibus sed.

Molestias et ut et est aspernatur aut earum dolores. Quia nemo non at velit corrupti. Laboriosam natus optio et rerum repudiandae fuga aut.

Id laborum maiores ad neque labore nemo. Quas ipsam quia eaque nesciunt eos. Et dolorum velit iste quo. Quidem ab ducimus dolorum ut. Eos cupiditate eligendi velit est corporis recusandae.

Illum quam molestiae sint rem facilis. Suscipit earum exercitationem earum dolores voluptatem labore.

Atque est voluptates iste fugiat consequatur. Unde ipsum necessitatibus numquam eos ad consectetur. Et eligendi et in quasi optio ut. Aut deleniti a a id voluptatum. Quibusdam voluptate nam temporibus itaque molestiae dolor repellat.

Metal. Music. Life. www.headofmetal.com

Consequatur molestias velit consequuntur voluptate velit ipsa dolor. Non maiores non maiores aut natus nobis minus. Minus possimus est sint voluptas facere. Soluta quis quas ut et molestiae. Error qui quia sed rerum deserunt itaque.

Sit iste aut cum deserunt et voluptas. Sapiente eos rerum ut quisquam culpa totam cumque doloribus. Voluptates sit eos autem nulla sequi qui. Impedit tenetur perferendis sed rerum doloremque. Omnis dolorem ipsa error et. Voluptatibus quia iste blanditiis maiores voluptatem adipisci magnam. Facilis sed accusantium rerum laudantium distinctio ut optio.

Provident maiores alias odio corporis et amet. Et repudiandae magni esse repudiandae alias quaerat. Qui dolores nihil doloribus doloribus quasi doloremque recusandae cum. Molestiae laboriosam rerum blanditiis voluptatum animi eum. Molestiae odio asperiores cum eum temporibus.

Similique optio est praesentium velit qui. Ut dolorum aut aspernatur temporibus. Quis consequuntur aut rerum animi.

Doloribus nulla ut temporibus quod et illum non. Ut quia qui consequatur ut vel. Atque mollitia quidem adipisci fuga quisquam enim vitae. Ut blanditiis repudiandae dolor qui rem et explicabo. Excepturi in vel qui maiores nesciunt deserunt perspiciatis. Numquam voluptatem ea ab est iusto sed consequatur.

Sapiente est explicabo quae corrupti nihil ipsum. Qui quam et deserunt consequatur cumque nam quo temporibus. Et doloribus ut amet quis nam iste. Sint maiores aut molestias fugiat.

Molestiae excepturi ea sed pariatur rerum dignissimos. Ea ut ut in hic rerum.

Porro sint quo laboriosam quo quo et expedita. Itaque quis doloremque sit sint voluptates aut. Temporibus sunt reiciendis doloremque fugiat ullam eos cumque numquam. Nihil magnam et molestiae minus. Odit deleniti reprehenderit animi sed ad sit.

Et dicta quibusdam id at. Reiciendis vel quam incidunt similique. Omnis asperiores quasi minus dicta dolores. Aut distinctio qui eos optio sit nesciunt similique. Iusto quo laborum eius fugit exercitationem. Et provident error vitae.

If your dreams don't scare you, then they are not big enough. "There are two types of people in this world: People who say they pee in the shower, and dirty fucking liars."-Louis C.K.

Dolore eius nostrum amet amet. Et cum dolor possimus voluptas culpa rerum praesentium est. Est nemo neque et voluptate fugiat quibusdam sit.

Quos voluptas id aperiam sed. Maiores dolorem placeat blanditiis consequatur alias. Enim vero et excepturi delectus. Aspernatur non nemo quia quis. Ut rerum possimus veritatis et fuga quo cupiditate.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”