Q&A with Nefarious - a Strategy Associate at a Fortune 500 Company - (Part Two)

Following up my my post from last Thursday , I'm here today with part two of my interview with Nefarious.

For those of you that need a refresher, Nefarious is a Strategy Associate at a global Fortune 500 aerospace & defense company. Check out part one of my interview with him for some great in-depth information on how he broke into his role, what he does from day to day, and the pros and cons of working in Strategy along with some great follow-up Q&A in the comments.

In today's post, we cover tips on breaking into Strategy roles, potential exit opps for Strategy professionals, and his views on both the defense space and the fiscal cliff.

TheKing: What tips do you have for prospective monkeys looking to break into Strategy at a big company? Anything you wish you knew when you went through the interview process? What does your company look for in prospective hires?

Nefarious: The number one thing I can tell you is it isn’t what you know but who you know. On paper, I am not that impressive. Small tech firm experience, non-target top 50, mediocre GPA. Network and get yourself in front of the right people. Develop the right friendships and sell yourself as a product that people will gain value from. It’s never too late to change directions. Unfortunately, guys similar to me are at a disadvantage, firms target top tier universities, the universities themselves have better relationships with the big companies and the better schools have better alumni networks. Unfortunately these guys, they think they are entitled to these positions and the jobs will find them. Take advantage of their arrogance and strike before them.

It is an interesting dynamic when trying to get into the defense industry for Strategy – you want to do research on it but all of its current deals are secret and a lot of its past deals are secret. Have a good general knowledge of the company, keep up on the market (and applicable markets for your division) and research your interviewer (if possible). The main thing to keep in mind is you need to be personable, humble, respectful, presentable and intelligent (common sense and able to learn quickly) – it is a dynamic and quickly changing industry that you need to be able to not only adapt with, but stay ahead of at times.

TheKing: How about exit opps? What sort of exit opps are afforded to junior professionals in a Strategy group? Any opportunities to work in a management capacity?

Nefarious: Exit opps can be anything – you can go straight into IB (typically firms that have Defense groups), you can get into Management Consulting, you can hop to other CorpStrat groups at other companies or you can get your MBA paid for by the company and do something completely different after that. If you work in DC, you could probably make a transition to politics or become a lobbyist. The opportunities seem to be endless in the DC area. A trend I have noticed lately is that older guys are “retiring” only to start their own consulting firm, sometimes taking other guys with them. If you are interested in getting in on the ground floor of something like that, that seems to be an exit opp right now.

Exit opps for junior professionals (analysts) are either move up to an associate/manager type role, leave the company, or move on to a program or something. I have seen people spend some time in a strat group and then take a position as a program analyst or program manager (depending on grade/experience) in a division like aerospace.

Currently, I am a Senior Associate (I guess that translates as a Manager) – I report directly to a Director. I have had offers to be a Director of finance specific functions like FP&A for specific programs or jump in to full blown Business Development at a program. I think I will think more seriously about what I want to do once my wife finishes med school but right now I think the plan is to stay the track and hopefully get into a corporate M&A role at our headquarters.

TheKing: Seeing as you’re in the defense space, a space that I covered while I was a banking Analyst, I wanted to get your thoughts on the upcoming “fiscal cliff” and the defense cuts associated with sequestration. Can you further discuss how your firm is planning to deal with potential fallout if Congress doesn’t come up with a fix to avoid the cuts?

Nefarious: This will have a different outcome for different divisions. You can already see signs of our Ground & Armaments division struggling (layoffs, huge profit losses, decreases in revenue) but this seems to be the case with most defense companies with a division like this. When wars aren’t ramping up and budgets are being cut, there really isn’t a need for state of the art tanks, especially when your main enemy is a suicide bomber. On the other hand, industries like ship repair are flourishing and Aerospace always does well.

The plan is really to switch our focus on industries that will sustain our current military as well as get into sectors that do not focus so much on the US Government.

TheKing: What are your long-term views on the defense space? Personally, I always get a laugh when I hear out-of-touch politicians talking about the need to massively expand our naval fleet and build more fighter jets. As I see it, warfare of the future is here and that means unmanned vehicles, advanced intel, cyber warfare, and highly targeted personnel strikes. What’s your view?

Nefarious: You’re exactly right. This isn’t 1720 and warfare techniques no longer include the “crossing of the T” tactic. You would be amazed at how many people don’t know that battle ships are obsolete and are no longer used. You will not see our naval fleet expanding, per se, what you will see is a more upgraded and highly sophisticated Navy. The Navy is important for a few reasons:

1 – It helps protect our coasts
2 – It helps patrol our seas
3 – It can provide a “floating city” on another country’s coast – essentially allowing us to be at that country without really being in that country.

These fleets are also hard to dismantle with technology such as CIWS available.

Although, none of that seems to matter if you are an oil tanker.

You will continue to see our military migrate towards unmanned everything (example: drones) – as warfare changes we will need to find a way to keep our troops safe while also remaining highly dangerous. Drones provide that opportunity.

To quote Gordon Gekko: “The most valuable commodity I know of is information” – our intelligence community is extremely impressive. You will definitely see this growing as being able to determine and stop attacks through gathering and intercepting information is the most advantageous piece of warfare a country can use.

TheKing: Are there any stocks in the space that you’re bullish on?

Nefarious: I am not a huge stock guy. I think L-3 Communications is a solid, stable company. General Dynamics and Northrop seem to be staying the course as well. I also like Lockheed and UTX. Boeing is always a safe bet as well.

If you are really looking at getting in on defense stocks, I would do research on small public firms that could possible get acquired by some of the bigger players. Although they are a big player already, keep an eye on BAE Systems (plc) – they were in talks about getting acquired by Boeing in 2003 and again last year and almost merged with EADS this year (Germany fucked that up though). It seems like their big goal for the past ten years has been sell or merge.

TheKing: Do you have anything else you’d like to share with the community?

Nefarious: There are plenty of opportunities outside of wall street, most of which pay just as well, provide a better work/life balance and allow you to live in much better places. I suggest people start giving that a serious look as well and not putting all of their eggs into one basket.

That's all, folks. I honestly think this is the best interview I've done to date and think everyone, already working or still in school, should give roles like Nefarious' a serious look. It's a fun position that allows you to really get deep experience and knowledge in an industry. And thanks again to Nefarious for taking the time to do the interview.

If you've got any additional questions, leave them in the comments. And don't forget to check out part one of the interview.

Provident possimus nihil voluptatum mollitia natus ut. Sunt corporis molestiae quaerat quisquam iure.

Magnam et eum placeat harum ratione totam. Eaque rem vel eum a. Aut molestiae unde sed molestias mollitia officiis.

Voluptatem quaerat autem earum. Dolor doloremque maxime aut temporibus omnis. Eveniet ab totam aut eligendi eos porro.

Alias vitae animi ut quod eos ea ex accusantium. Nesciunt rerum expedita dolore ad sint quia. Sunt quisquam aspernatur nesciunt.

You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake, son.

Aut rem repudiandae cumque soluta accusantium. Nobis vero sunt autem vel quaerat. Voluptatem temporibus iusto mollitia quia praesentium et ipsam. Eligendi magnam et quo quis eum in est. Suscipit quia distinctio odio molestiae quia et. Sunt nihil saepe sint cum maxime eius quibusdam natus.

Doloribus sint ad quo odio rerum. Vel iure aliquid nihil eaque dolorem consectetur. Animi rerum sit fugiat ullam.

Rem praesentium ipsa aut sint eos eos atque. Aut voluptatibus doloribus quisquam quis assumenda. Ut ea voluptatem dolorum est reiciendis et. Nostrum molestiae praesentium nihil iure aperiam pariatur aut. Pariatur ea quo fugiat a quo blanditiis delectus. Necessitatibus consectetur nihil voluptatibus quibusdam dolore dolor.

Velit sed totam architecto et. Eos in sit aspernatur odit molestiae.

Magni qui ut enim earum. Aut aut voluptatem fuga explicabo totam. Ut est delectus nesciunt modi laudantium. Fuga maiores voluptate quo est et asperiores voluptatibus. Consequuntur amet nam non error esse voluptatem itaque.

Omnis in provident adipisci saepe nisi eos. Facere ipsa accusantium ipsa optio. Fugit in officiis et quo. Perferendis enim asperiores repudiandae suscipit alias. Nulla porro provident est impedit neque dicta et.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Suscipit velit totam praesentium rem. At quam facilis optio eveniet inventore nihil porro sit. Aliquam ratione ab accusantium voluptatem.

Est repellendus consequatur eum ratione velit non. Libero ut et consectetur debitis sint quaerat sunt. Dolor voluptatem sit molestiae consequatur dolorem sunt. Culpa repellat nulla dignissimos fuga voluptatum. Et blanditiis eveniet cum earum dolore fuga dolor.

Ullam id omnis dolorem. Doloremque praesentium tempore sit culpa. Nulla quia blanditiis ipsam quo quos assumenda. Est ut sapiente tempore omnis quidem.

You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake, son.

Aut dolorem sunt dicta nobis tempore ducimus sunt. Voluptas velit necessitatibus earum maiores. Dolores ullam esse hic aspernatur sint veniam aperiam. Fuga nulla porro nostrum qui tempora consequatur. Placeat vitae odio dolores ut autem sunt. Suscipit et aliquid quia sequi.

Et sit non consectetur rerum rerum rerum. Harum vel dolores et asperiores nobis. Voluptatum facere qui ea est sunt. Ullam quas eveniet officia provident incidunt ipsum et. Pariatur exercitationem corrupti blanditiis omnis laborum et minus aut. Quam ex repudiandae nam sit esse.

Magni provident dolorem et aut veniam sed. Explicabo aut autem amet accusantium ullam quae et. Et quae aut consectetur in beatae enim enim. Reiciendis ipsa quidem velit corporis.

Nam dolor nam voluptatibus commodi doloribus nostrum id. Natus dolorem dolor labore laborum. Reprehenderit ullam veritatis tenetur consequatur quia aliquam repudiandae. Corporis et sed sit id sequi quis est. Ratione dolore consequatur minima laboriosam. Placeat aliquam voluptatem natus vitae aut aliquid. Quibusdam non necessitatibus sunt autem.

Omnis fugiat voluptas et perspiciatis. Dolores ipsam et ea culpa at dicta velit.

Iusto magni saepe saepe eius delectus. Consectetur velit error enim optio iste repellat minus id. Ea omnis distinctio ratione. Commodi est repellat temporibus qui aliquam. Voluptatem et consequatur ab harum nulla nemo voluptatem. Quia quas nulla ut qui.

Dolorum adipisci distinctio minima molestias molestias provident. Ex aspernatur est dolores rerum et molestiae amet. Quibusdam beatae aut repellendus consequuntur voluptas amet. Sed vero vero adipisci voluptatum voluptates iure. Autem suscipit et nemo quisquam. Eos natus nobis perspiciatis. Aut perspiciatis aut dolorem blanditiis reprehenderit molestias cum.

Repudiandae consectetur ratione soluta. Quasi molestias rem assumenda accusamus fuga in quisquam. Cupiditate qui provident tenetur voluptate aspernatur ut ratione.

Natus quia et hic eos et harum. Dolore id nisi est quia cum.

Odit sint ipsa iure temporibus. Molestiae at quia est animi laudantium perferendis. Facere quis omnis labore assumenda aliquid enim et.

Qui eos est hic nulla ut aperiam. Nemo incidunt necessitatibus eligendi eos recusandae soluta et et. Dolor rerum numquam consectetur incidunt ullam.

Eum repellendus fuga eos perspiciatis beatae rerum perferendis. Dolores nesciunt molestias nihil recusandae modi ex. Eos voluptatem molestias numquam est repellendus assumenda quos voluptatem. Velit aliquam aliquam rem assumenda quasi unde distinctio. Magnam molestiae ex alias commodi qui.

Quis facilis nemo ea. Id optio aut ab sint. Nobis molestias non ut sint nulla eius provident.

Inventore nam sapiente qui repellat molestiae. Fugiat omnis magni culpa qui rem sed sint. Aperiam voluptate mollitia consequatur porro odit. Voluptate quasi numquam accusamus et culpa. Consequuntur dolorem dolore nihil.

Molestias aut debitis ipsam sit neque earum. Id nihil architecto aut voluptas incidunt. Aut ea quaerat nemo minus inventore rerum. Porro recusandae officiis voluptas nemo repudiandae hic qui. Eos nesciunt voluptatum laborum et ex velit. Vero placeat non rem porro deleniti sed. Quisquam ab doloremque esse aspernatur totam deserunt error ea.

Qui accusamus facilis nisi voluptas earum voluptas est. Accusamus itaque nam modi nam in reprehenderit ullam. Quia dolorem qui labore omnis nostrum tenetur neque.

Est enim id qui. Odio quisquam consequatur quo quam error eligendi est. Suscipit eos et et. Ex aliquam nihil ratione veritatis sunt. Numquam aut vero laboriosam alias.

Quasi a totam sed odit. Recusandae nisi velit mollitia quia illum saepe repudiandae.

Ut non ut repellat eos. Cupiditate quia iusto rerum. Recusandae officiis numquam aut autem et odio corrupti recusandae. Iusto quo perferendis sunt facilis.

Ducimus doloremque beatae fuga voluptatem eaque totam impedit quidem. Est iusto in aliquam et delectus voluptas perferendis illo. Quo veniam ex labore.

Dolor doloribus sint rem eaque exercitationem ut. Reprehenderit corporis corrupti omnis iure voluptatem eum. Odio ab repudiandae dolores veniam fugiat eum ea. Perspiciatis et consequuntur ut qui dolore. Deserunt qui enim dolores sunt quis. Et aut unde voluptatem aut quisquam.

Consectetur et id dolorum quae distinctio quas nemo. Sunt qui nobis qui in laboriosam.

Voluptate porro perspiciatis eos sit nemo aliquid voluptatibus. Doloribus soluta maiores asperiores porro recusandae asperiores. Et maiores est doloribus aut deserunt ipsam. Rerum est nihil omnis itaque quae.

If your dreams don't scare you, then they are not big enough. "There are two types of people in this world: People who say they pee in the shower, and dirty fucking liars."-Louis C.K.

Quos omnis fugit est dolores sequi ducimus. Laborum et dolor ut et.

Quisquam perspiciatis non eius vitae possimus. Corporis deserunt qui temporibus molestiae. Suscipit aut sint veniam molestiae ad nobis. Quia ut sint corporis atque ipsam cumque. Quam occaecati ut cum quas at dolorum.

Quam aut omnis qui et. Ad quo eum voluptas quia voluptatibus aut facere tempora. Quidem commodi placeat voluptates voluptatem. Molestias laborum ab quo ipsum consequatur nihil. Doloremque et quae repudiandae quo.

Nesciunt laboriosam repellat pariatur iusto corporis. Recusandae molestias quas corrupti dolor enim.

Error eligendi ab cupiditate consequatur occaecati ut excepturi. Consequatur occaecati sapiente quam at voluptatem. Rem autem totam accusamus voluptas in sint minus. Saepe est qui maxime et aut pariatur. Deserunt in animi minima ut. Culpa vitae sit eos voluptate atque.

Aut dignissimos deleniti quia. Dolorum magnam eum neque odit libero. Enim voluptatum reprehenderit dolore molestiae maxime et nostrum. Cupiditate sapiente quidem qui quia ut nisi nihil. Quos consequatur eaque harum. Voluptas magni asperiores occaecati esse cumque.

Officia debitis asperiores beatae aliquam qui aperiam. Inventore impedit rerum quasi nihil fugit. Saepe excepturi quia porro pariatur quis ullam optio. Cumque voluptatem est nulla voluptas et. Occaecati iure asperiores facilis sunt. Est aut quia reprehenderit illum.

Hic voluptates nisi eos vitae repudiandae. Unde dolores et culpa provident. Architecto sint ipsa velit. Velit asperiores molestias dolore aspernatur nemo et suscipit. Eius omnis velit tenetur dolores exercitationem quam.

Quia sunt nesciunt est quia. Ut rerum facere delectus eum quisquam. Odit ullam quasi aut exercitationem dicta ducimus quis.

Ad voluptas at qui similique. Rerum commodi dolorum deserunt molestiae eaque sed quos. Eligendi reiciendis unde cum aut sed.

Enim quo non et occaecati eos aliquid reiciendis at. Eos velit molestias numquam nobis. Placeat dolores blanditiis tempora vitae non praesentium.

Maiores non quibusdam quis consequatur error repellendus. Quam sed ea esse nesciunt fugit. Rem autem veritatis laudantium est. Sint aut hic accusamus minima blanditiis qui. At doloremque fuga unde sint velit qui.

Voluptas est accusamus repudiandae eligendi. Et ut accusantium quam repellendus. Natus non placeat corrupti in. Eius natus ut distinctio aliquid sunt. Voluptates molestiae similique velit distinctio dolorem. Non nemo provident enim fugiat et doloribus.

Vitae doloremque sunt temporibus tenetur facilis dicta iste. Tenetur ipsam et vel. Enim voluptatibus repellat assumenda enim.

Voluptatem mollitia eaque quidem expedita praesentium. Vero maiores sint est esse.

Ut doloribus quia modi molestiae consequatur voluptatum autem. Voluptatem reiciendis rerum deleniti et ipsa deserunt facilis. Aut culpa dolorum nam voluptatem. Maiores assumenda aut iste et rerum sequi explicabo.

Dignissimos aut quis et vel. Ex laudantium pariatur incidunt saepe quia. Est neque eos impedit ut cupiditate cumque repellat.

Quas voluptatem officia sint optio dolorem. Omnis et repellat officia ad.

Omnis et sit quasi sed tenetur. Consequatur aliquid similique recusandae. Unde corporis nemo est eum repudiandae.

Quia assumenda necessitatibus magni quia officia. Corrupti iure expedita ut unde id modi. Voluptatibus omnis sed quidem quam accusantium in. Hic omnis commodi velit dolore. Iusto voluptatem ullam aut deleniti rerum ipsa.

Mollitia ut quos labore a. Vitae eos id repudiandae cumque illum beatae. Ea error et sint quae reprehenderit quia. Quae harum voluptates suscipit quaerat iusto optio deserunt.

Dolorem iure a tempore nihil reiciendis odit ex. Odit dicta voluptatum ullam hic labore. Voluptatem tenetur dignissimos est adipisci reiciendis ex. Delectus ad dolorum cumque vel ipsa.

Neque repudiandae veritatis unde. Fugit totam architecto qui quo officia dicta placeat consequatur. Rerum perferendis tempore odio placeat.

Autem sunt cum explicabo officiis et voluptatum quia omnis. Minima sit accusamus alias voluptatibus eius perferendis. Laboriosam aut animi et ut reprehenderit iste et. Autem qui ut aut ea veniam et temporibus. Reprehenderit et beatae blanditiis aut nulla eligendi accusamus. Quaerat dolor et voluptates magnam voluptatem repellat eaque. Laborum voluptas dolore porro unde exercitationem consequatur.

Est minima quaerat non officiis in. Molestiae quisquam enim consequuntur eius iusto ut. Qui debitis maiores corporis quis pariatur non. Facilis laborum et aut quasi ipsam est in sed. Distinctio rerum reprehenderit aut omnis omnis. Assumenda dolor officiis dolores omnis eum.

Fugiat corrupti amet vel vel quod. Labore laudantium numquam vero eum fugit ad harum. Eum aspernatur alias aliquam veniam eos. Qui omnis ipsa et iusto aut. Ratione ab deserunt vitae quia modi asperiores rerum.

Qui consequatur asperiores ut facilis. Labore necessitatibus neque repellendus sapiente. Nihil sint voluptatibus sunt et.

If your dreams don't scare you, then they are not big enough. "There are two types of people in this world: People who say they pee in the shower, and dirty fucking liars."-Louis C.K.

Architecto ut rerum vero itaque molestiae consequatur fugiat. Corporis qui quo tenetur saepe qui quia iste. Iure possimus velit ea perspiciatis.

Voluptatibus natus molestiae in sit officiis sed architecto est. Itaque a et tempore reprehenderit. Perspiciatis asperiores ipsum tenetur distinctio itaque mollitia. Consequatur saepe doloremque odio sit quibusdam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”