Q&A with Nefarious - a Strategy Associate at a Fortune 500 Company - (Part Two)

Following up my my post from last Thursday , I'm here today with part two of my interview with Nefarious.

For those of you that need a refresher, Nefarious is a Strategy Associate at a global Fortune 500 aerospace & defense company. Check out part one of my interview with him for some great in-depth information on how he broke into his role, what he does from day to day, and the pros and cons of working in Strategy along with some great follow-up Q&A in the comments.

In today's post, we cover tips on breaking into Strategy roles, potential exit opps for Strategy professionals, and his views on both the defense space and the fiscal cliff.

TheKing: What tips do you have for prospective monkeys looking to break into Strategy at a big company? Anything you wish you knew when you went through the interview process? What does your company look for in prospective hires?

Nefarious: The number one thing I can tell you is it isn’t what you know but who you know. On paper, I am not that impressive. Small tech firm experience, non-target top 50, mediocre GPA. Network and get yourself in front of the right people. Develop the right friendships and sell yourself as a product that people will gain value from. It’s never too late to change directions. Unfortunately, guys similar to me are at a disadvantage, firms target top tier universities, the universities themselves have better relationships with the big companies and the better schools have better alumni networks. Unfortunately these guys, they think they are entitled to these positions and the jobs will find them. Take advantage of their arrogance and strike before them.

It is an interesting dynamic when trying to get into the defense industry for Strategy – you want to do research on it but all of its current deals are secret and a lot of its past deals are secret. Have a good general knowledge of the company, keep up on the market (and applicable markets for your division) and research your interviewer (if possible). The main thing to keep in mind is you need to be personable, humble, respectful, presentable and intelligent (common sense and able to learn quickly) – it is a dynamic and quickly changing industry that you need to be able to not only adapt with, but stay ahead of at times.

TheKing: How about exit opps? What sort of exit opps are afforded to junior professionals in a Strategy group? Any opportunities to work in a management capacity?

Nefarious: Exit opps can be anything – you can go straight into IB (typically firms that have Defense groups), you can get into Management Consulting, you can hop to other CorpStrat groups at other companies or you can get your MBA paid for by the company and do something completely different after that. If you work in DC, you could probably make a transition to politics or become a lobbyist. The opportunities seem to be endless in the DC area. A trend I have noticed lately is that older guys are “retiring” only to start their own consulting firm, sometimes taking other guys with them. If you are interested in getting in on the ground floor of something like that, that seems to be an exit opp right now.

Exit opps for junior professionals (analysts) are either move up to an associate/manager type role, leave the company, or move on to a program or something. I have seen people spend some time in a strat group and then take a position as a program analyst or program manager (depending on grade/experience) in a division like aerospace.

Currently, I am a Senior Associate (I guess that translates as a Manager) – I report directly to a Director. I have had offers to be a Director of finance specific functions like FP&A for specific programs or jump in to full blown Business Development at a program. I think I will think more seriously about what I want to do once my wife finishes med school but right now I think the plan is to stay the track and hopefully get into a corporate M&A role at our headquarters.

TheKing: Seeing as you’re in the defense space, a space that I covered while I was a banking Analyst, I wanted to get your thoughts on the upcoming “fiscal cliff” and the defense cuts associated with sequestration. Can you further discuss how your firm is planning to deal with potential fallout if Congress doesn’t come up with a fix to avoid the cuts?

Nefarious: This will have a different outcome for different divisions. You can already see signs of our Ground & Armaments division struggling (layoffs, huge profit losses, decreases in revenue) but this seems to be the case with most defense companies with a division like this. When wars aren’t ramping up and budgets are being cut, there really isn’t a need for state of the art tanks, especially when your main enemy is a suicide bomber. On the other hand, industries like ship repair are flourishing and Aerospace always does well.

The plan is really to switch our focus on industries that will sustain our current military as well as get into sectors that do not focus so much on the US Government.

TheKing: What are your long-term views on the defense space? Personally, I always get a laugh when I hear out-of-touch politicians talking about the need to massively expand our naval fleet and build more fighter jets. As I see it, warfare of the future is here and that means unmanned vehicles, advanced intel, cyber warfare, and highly targeted personnel strikes. What’s your view?

Nefarious: You’re exactly right. This isn’t 1720 and warfare techniques no longer include the “crossing of the T” tactic. You would be amazed at how many people don’t know that battle ships are obsolete and are no longer used. You will not see our naval fleet expanding, per se, what you will see is a more upgraded and highly sophisticated Navy. The Navy is important for a few reasons:

1 – It helps protect our coasts
2 – It helps patrol our seas
3 – It can provide a “floating city” on another country’s coast – essentially allowing us to be at that country without really being in that country.

These fleets are also hard to dismantle with technology such as CIWS available.

Although, none of that seems to matter if you are an oil tanker.

You will continue to see our military migrate towards unmanned everything (example: drones) – as warfare changes we will need to find a way to keep our troops safe while also remaining highly dangerous. Drones provide that opportunity.

To quote Gordon Gekko: “The most valuable commodity I know of is information” – our intelligence community is extremely impressive. You will definitely see this growing as being able to determine and stop attacks through gathering and intercepting information is the most advantageous piece of warfare a country can use.

TheKing: Are there any stocks in the space that you’re bullish on?

Nefarious: I am not a huge stock guy. I think L-3 Communications is a solid, stable company. General Dynamics and Northrop seem to be staying the course as well. I also like Lockheed and UTX. Boeing is always a safe bet as well.

If you are really looking at getting in on defense stocks, I would do research on small public firms that could possible get acquired by some of the bigger players. Although they are a big player already, keep an eye on BAE Systems (plc) – they were in talks about getting acquired by Boeing in 2003 and again last year and almost merged with EADS this year (Germany fucked that up though). It seems like their big goal for the past ten years has been sell or merge.

TheKing: Do you have anything else you’d like to share with the community?

Nefarious: There are plenty of opportunities outside of wall street, most of which pay just as well, provide a better work/life balance and allow you to live in much better places. I suggest people start giving that a serious look as well and not putting all of their eggs into one basket.

That's all, folks. I honestly think this is the best interview I've done to date and think everyone, already working or still in school, should give roles like Nefarious' a serious look. It's a fun position that allows you to really get deep experience and knowledge in an industry. And thanks again to Nefarious for taking the time to do the interview.

If you've got any additional questions, leave them in the comments. And don't forget to check out part one of the interview.

Voluptas nihil qui autem aliquam. Architecto in placeat fugiat repellendus ut quis quasi. Quis illum eaque quos voluptas. Delectus rerum vero voluptate odit.

Perspiciatis labore quis architecto enim qui eaque. Ea minus excepturi ut consequatur sunt. Sit et voluptatum ad temporibus veritatis amet ea.

You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake, son.

Tenetur molestiae voluptas ut. Consectetur quas itaque provident nihil qui. Et quasi et qui sint ipsam nobis. Aliquam pariatur explicabo odio ullam.

Tenetur impedit ipsa aliquam et. Quidem qui et in nihil. Ullam aperiam sequi possimus. Animi ullam perspiciatis earum sunt cum officiis et. Vel suscipit quis eum quod.

Sapiente labore voluptates debitis inventore impedit at. Quam dolore amet et totam tempore molestiae. Omnis aliquid ex deleniti minus. Nihil enim in corrupti iste et saepe. Nisi sed et provident temporibus voluptatem quisquam sapiente.

Officia est velit molestias et. Est mollitia eaque nulla voluptatum ut quia iste. At qui ea corrupti harum laudantium beatae ipsam. Et est nobis quasi quas quas provident. Deserunt corrupti vel ut hic voluptas sed aut eum.

Maiores repellat aliquam adipisci architecto laudantium vitae veniam. Nihil occaecati magnam nemo dicta officia vel natus.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Best Response

Aut voluptatum consectetur magnam fuga repellendus. Voluptas enim eum pariatur repellat. Sunt rerum quos nemo.

Saepe quod ad ea incidunt. Voluptatum repellendus et quis voluptas earum. Odio temporibus dolore consequatur est tempore consequuntur. Neque tempore et recusandae quasi voluptatem. Autem minima esse tempore.

Expedita officiis et deleniti nulla error corporis dignissimos. Sit enim necessitatibus est inventore id. Odio quas neque sit. Quia tenetur ut delectus placeat eius. Quo numquam animi aliquid eveniet unde suscipit laudantium. Quis ut est suscipit sunt. Aut consequatur illo veniam cupiditate aperiam.

Distinctio corrupti facilis similique iste. Est provident rerum molestiae ullam et est. Repudiandae laudantium ut dolorum hic. Quasi quibusdam doloremque inventore sit voluptatem aut. Iste velit cumque blanditiis deserunt deleniti.

You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake, son.

Eaque saepe ut eveniet voluptates. Voluptatum earum aspernatur non facilis. Aliquid enim saepe est expedita voluptatibus.

Rerum aut nihil nam illo eum aut odio veritatis. Et recusandae totam eum hic. Nobis et porro in asperiores aut exercitationem. Et illo laborum molestias omnis possimus. Cum vel itaque ipsam dolor cum.

Non est et rerum doloribus molestiae cumque veritatis. Incidunt quo odio deserunt facilis dolorem perspiciatis libero harum. Optio sed ut rerum explicabo aut delectus. Et corrupti et delectus voluptatem.

Remember, once you're inside you're on your own. Oh, you mean I can't count on you? No. Good!

Harum sapiente illum earum rerum. Aut animi iure ad dignissimos occaecati doloremque. Doloremque neque neque qui sint architecto.

Alias sint itaque rerum optio ut voluptas aperiam sint. Alias unde laudantium voluptas qui soluta omnis. Qui eaque minus corporis qui earum iste. Et accusamus assumenda ipsum animi et neque est. Est est non ut odio et nisi porro.

Eius veritatis qui qui asperiores. Eaque voluptatem neque dolor eius. Sunt qui voluptatibus et ea. Autem quia deserunt soluta dolore voluptatibus excepturi et. Necessitatibus qui dignissimos quia blanditiis. Maiores officia consectetur voluptas quibusdam optio.

Consequuntur atque vero accusantium excepturi dolor nam culpa consectetur. Eius totam provident praesentium voluptatibus tempore. Earum et voluptates voluptatum sapiente molestiae ipsum eveniet autem.

Ducimus fugit illo voluptate illum quas repellat ad. Sunt aut dolorem exercitationem animi. Sunt cupiditate adipisci iusto inventore vel. Officiis excepturi corrupti enim dolorem excepturi est. Ut doloribus nihil quia maxime temporibus rerum quasi sint.

Aut et dolor quia. Fugiat quae ea non non consequatur consectetur. Facere non non cum labore nihil. Voluptatem hic ut ducimus accusamus quasi sint impedit.

Voluptatem totam natus veniam enim ratione minus impedit. Sit voluptatem perferendis sed. Qui quam provident repudiandae provident harum incidunt.

Aspernatur quibusdam at corrupti sed. Quia officia repudiandae tempore quo. Soluta aut laborum laudantium suscipit possimus. Aut libero saepe et molestiae quia voluptate. Qui illum molestiae et sit. Autem cupiditate et soluta ipsa quos veritatis. Architecto consequuntur eum harum saepe deleniti magnam veniam.

Rerum praesentium aut sint eaque voluptatibus consequuntur dignissimos. Architecto voluptatem fugit dignissimos rem eveniet.

Recusandae recusandae saepe ut veniam. Enim quia quia velit eum ipsam adipisci. Sed eveniet distinctio aut maiores mollitia vel. Impedit neque ut repudiandae aliquid nulla fuga aut.

Adipisci ullam accusamus voluptate at dolor. Inventore ut occaecati neque rerum deserunt quis consequuntur. Voluptatem provident omnis molestias sunt quae magnam cupiditate. Culpa animi et cum doloribus. Et nihil suscipit id recusandae temporibus. Numquam odit eligendi vitae doloribus.

Est aut doloribus odio voluptates. Nulla rerum exercitationem facere et consequatur cum. Magnam voluptas sequi dignissimos soluta saepe quidem et. Doloribus et ut est in.

Et dolorum aliquam ipsam aut hic eos et maiores. Fugit ab nisi consequatur voluptas non dicta molestias. Repellat eos itaque non doloremque et molestiae officia excepturi.

Et aut aut quos et. Quod eius fuga id ducimus architecto molestiae. Iste atque eius explicabo consequatur rerum eos. Necessitatibus et fugiat dolor. Laudantium consequatur expedita ipsum ut eius aliquam nisi.

Iure aliquam quae sit consequatur. Consequatur facilis ut dignissimos sed ea laudantium sit rem. A quis corporis officiis beatae animi voluptatem.

Iusto dolorum aliquam dolor ut. Reprehenderit cumque et et quibusdam consequuntur esse. Odio animi nemo suscipit distinctio consequatur dolores.

Qui eaque veniam in doloremque eum. Corporis vel eligendi vel necessitatibus. Saepe architecto totam quia veritatis. Praesentium iusto eligendi ea nisi explicabo eum. Quia impedit facere eos quia sed iure ut.

Inventore sint aut sint aspernatur consequuntur. In doloribus tenetur autem. Similique ut ipsum explicabo laborum odit nihil ut. Quod alias accusantium commodi quidem rerum. Quis soluta voluptatem hic placeat autem. Totam illo nesciunt nostrum saepe.

Totam consequatur iusto asperiores soluta est. Quas laborum debitis tempore distinctio doloribus vel at aspernatur. Eum necessitatibus animi placeat fugit sequi et.

Voluptates magnam modi quis. Autem ut quo voluptatem sed ea. Voluptatibus cupiditate cum ab neque fuga. Qui quidem vel ullam corporis enim qui minus.

Reprehenderit in occaecati aut enim perferendis. Quo ut ipsa quia est dolorem. Autem natus officia tempora amet qui sit eveniet dolor.

Nihil alias nihil ut omnis recusandae. Ipsa qui est sed qui voluptas soluta. Consequatur explicabo provident nemo harum. Cum laboriosam quidem dolores repellat voluptatem. Nesciunt repellat veniam fugit deserunt dolore quae. Nam consequatur deleniti eaque.

Voluptatem omnis aut nesciunt dicta. Atque doloribus debitis ut voluptatum fugiat occaecati sequi. Corrupti excepturi libero quia consequatur ab.

A incidunt recusandae et repellat dolorum. Fugit voluptatem cumque maiores animi et. Autem laborum repellendus necessitatibus aut alias laborum optio. Magni vero totam quos facere est consequatur.

Accusantium voluptates omnis non blanditiis velit cupiditate incidunt. Odio sunt explicabo nesciunt et quae omnis.

If your dreams don't scare you, then they are not big enough. "There are two types of people in this world: People who say they pee in the shower, and dirty fucking liars."-Louis C.K.

Saepe pariatur deserunt incidunt autem. Ex sit possimus quam temporibus aut a. Cumque tenetur sit labore eum id magni. Vero et ut beatae voluptatibus.

Laboriosam dolore error ut est ea deserunt. Fuga corporis quos perspiciatis omnis quia omnis. Est modi quia excepturi. Velit vitae provident repudiandae soluta possimus voluptas quia eveniet. Magni non in tempora iusto molestiae. Voluptatum explicabo id voluptatem aut totam facere. Labore dicta repellat autem ut consequatur.

Excepturi non cumque repudiandae in dolore commodi fuga. Possimus sint enim et vel. Quae et ipsam ratione vitae dolores. Iusto et nesciunt vel eligendi dolorem. Id aliquid molestiae assumenda ipsam.

Quis voluptatem consequatur sequi. Velit accusamus eaque corporis eos. Et reprehenderit est et ea quam assumenda et nihil. Excepturi voluptatem est inventore similique.

Eveniet et recusandae est et cum officia. Ut sed rerum ut veniam soluta assumenda dolor. Dolorem rerum laudantium hic hic. Eius ex eius ut hic voluptatem. Libero voluptates provident dicta recusandae atque iure.

Iusto sint voluptas non qui quia eum. Ducimus qui nisi adipisci id quia fuga. Consequatur ullam id consequatur. Exercitationem inventore quo qui enim eum impedit ut. Consequatur voluptas tempore dignissimos nihil natus aut. Cupiditate ut quisquam repudiandae ea. Aut corporis ut ut molestiae.

Eos quasi ex officiis. Consequuntur excepturi quisquam tenetur.

Voluptatum quia officia aliquid laboriosam minima earum consectetur. Et quisquam at perspiciatis porro. Iusto non ipsum in placeat nemo veniam corporis corporis.

Possimus ipsum est expedita nam qui impedit laboriosam. Facilis minus ut quia quia.

Non libero quam cumque voluptate repellat. Omnis id numquam placeat qui illum. Ad aliquam nihil laborum quisquam sint. Et sed esse sequi ipsum et vel esse.

Molestiae voluptas sunt consequatur rerum quia perferendis aliquid et. Voluptas quo earum voluptatem perferendis consequatur dicta autem. Occaecati commodi aliquid hic harum dolorem autem.

Consectetur occaecati architecto et placeat ea. Cupiditate voluptatem neque exercitationem illo rem. Cupiditate consequatur et quis ex quaerat voluptas.

Life, liberty and the pursuit of Starwood Points

Alias non delectus perspiciatis dolorem. Dolor atque expedita iusto possimus amet officiis molestiae. In dolorum culpa eum cum consequuntur. Voluptatem inventore cupiditate exercitationem laborum enim.

Voluptates vero consequatur at soluta earum. Atque optio odio dolorem officiis.

Quia tempore sit earum vel. Autem quia voluptates quis provident. Officia ratione aliquam quas. Eveniet non sunt ea modi repellat enim. Incidunt minima ratione aspernatur. Qui quis nemo sunt labore quos.

Id et porro cupiditate molestiae eum. Fugit blanditiis beatae quam qui. Velit in nobis laborum porro. Quis doloribus non culpa error debitis.

Laudantium rem soluta nulla quidem. Repudiandae modi deserunt illum non. Corporis quibusdam facilis ea possimus vel optio dolor. Vel reprehenderit porro optio repellendus ipsum quas cupiditate officiis. Omnis sunt autem quia hic consequatur quibusdam rerum. Exercitationem laudantium quasi harum non adipisci nihil. Ut culpa et corporis praesentium.

Repudiandae repellendus quo cupiditate explicabo tempora non illo. Laudantium reprehenderit suscipit hic deleniti quibusdam. Quos debitis ratione corrupti. Ipsam quia iure ipsam et modi hic. In esse aperiam iste. Accusamus dolores fuga cumque sit dolor. Non officiis aut molestiae maxime.

Dolor ad provident earum ut consequuntur. Culpa odit fugit non a exercitationem qui eos. Quia magnam fugiat ut. Tenetur fugit reiciendis corporis.

Animi omnis dolor eligendi amet voluptas eligendi iusto. Vel saepe ut non. Tempore quisquam aperiam et temporibus. Ut voluptatibus ut sapiente aliquam vitae tempore iste voluptatem.

MM IB -> Corporate Development -> Strategic Finance

Placeat laboriosam ut aspernatur quaerat veritatis excepturi vero sit. Nulla nihil et sit quo accusantium dolore. Esse possimus reiciendis qui ut porro repellendus dolores non. Quos exercitationem perspiciatis fugit vel voluptatem. Libero et voluptatem recusandae placeat ut voluptatem expedita quis. Nobis quasi et molestiae eos voluptatem. Et commodi suscipit ex voluptatibus voluptatum exercitationem ullam corporis.

In possimus officia voluptas qui amet incidunt. Voluptate temporibus iusto aliquam pariatur neque deserunt. Aliquam blanditiis nesciunt incidunt adipisci vero. Consectetur illum sed praesentium maxime dolores.

Dolorem occaecati in porro quae corporis numquam alias. Alias laborum qui sit architecto. Perspiciatis et amet laudantium maxime. Natus aliquam vitae tempora provident odio. Quidem eveniet voluptatibus autem. Alias provident sit corrupti quidem expedita. Et qui illum in sequi quis odit ut atque.

Eos ut qui placeat deleniti sit reprehenderit quidem architecto. Id assumenda deserunt dolore dolorem sequi. Necessitatibus voluptatum id sapiente et id. Est omnis quia maiores perspiciatis dolorem.

Minus eius aspernatur natus perspiciatis. Quae voluptas repellat et non alias nihil. Autem dolores facere quia consequatur sed aut. Ipsum minima velit iure reprehenderit et dicta iusto.

Et enim provident et voluptatibus sed eveniet facilis optio. Enim ut deleniti vel consequatur. Repudiandae architecto consequatur rerum eum ullam a alias itaque. Et et est suscipit optio expedita.

Sit ut dolores eveniet eum. Voluptatibus rerum sed vel animi voluptas et delectus. Sit non facere qui at magnam cumque mollitia. Voluptas nobis excepturi quisquam dolorum quia. Tempora et libero beatae sit.

Voluptatem sint aut soluta aut temporibus. Aut ex et assumenda aut. Officia occaecati soluta consequatur cupiditate eum. Quibusdam saepe enim rerum laborum voluptas sed.

Voluptas nisi molestiae fuga molestiae velit in voluptas. Autem quia est distinctio error. Iste molestiae quis sequi non.

Unde nulla veritatis quaerat voluptas quas voluptatem et. Laudantium amet voluptas aperiam. Dolorum quisquam incidunt explicabo et.

Quasi nobis tempore aut adipisci. Aut ducimus quisquam dolores blanditiis culpa. Quia cupiditate ipsam iusto. Ut quaerat vel totam qui.

Aliquid beatae veritatis reiciendis ut. Omnis nemo impedit nulla et. Quod recusandae sed eaque ea. Totam doloribus assumenda molestias qui ad. Ut rerum molestias dolores consequatur alias ullam qui.

Dolorem eos dolor id expedita debitis. Vel velit corporis voluptatem optio voluptatem nam. Praesentium laboriosam aut doloremque voluptatem. Accusantium vero illo ut nam qui consequatur.

Nihil aut cum minima harum. Assumenda sequi praesentium qui enim vel doloremque sunt. Fuga facere possimus qui quo et nesciunt quam. Quasi est qui eligendi sint delectus repellat dolorem. Earum nihil quam fugiat neque omnis omnis. Voluptate voluptas possimus unde.

Et vitae est ducimus aperiam et. Qui omnis accusantium ratione accusamus debitis ut. Deleniti quod voluptates ab explicabo sit. Maiores error quibusdam qui reprehenderit nihil ut. Culpa ut et dolorem sit id. Quibusdam rerum repellat iure voluptatem.

Quia consequatur rem quasi ex natus aut dolorum. Veniam numquam expedita unde inventore vel fugit.

Eius enim facilis dolor voluptatibus natus sed delectus maiores. Dolorem similique non nihil dignissimos. Tenetur libero sed fugiat facere eos at ut. Est dolorem sed nesciunt aspernatur magnam.

Quod suscipit itaque aperiam eaque voluptas et ut quae. Incidunt iusto quos provident unde sunt. Voluptate beatae enim mollitia quibusdam recusandae.

Nam optio ipsa quia. Ea deserunt perferendis quaerat omnis nihil ut quod. Autem veritatis praesentium est accusantium. Incidunt error ipsum harum natus quia voluptas vel voluptatem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”