Resumes: The Yin and Yang, Part 2

A week and some change ago I wrote an article about resume-writing and why most people suck at it. You can find the original article here.

I promised to talk about resume formatting in a subsequent article, and haven't done so because I was itching to write about a few other things. Alas, now we're going to discuss formatting, and why you shouldn't fail at it.

Why is formatting important? For a lot of reasons. First and foremost, I would argue that formatting is the most important part of the resume. If you're extremely verbose and write way too much, someone might give you the benefit of the doubt after reading through what you have to say. On the other hand, if you have an ugly vertical line going through the left-side of your resume because you think it's cool to put your positions on the left side and what you did on the right side, people will NOT read your resume. If it's poorly-formatted, flashy, confusing, or subjectively odd-looking, you are going straight to the recycling bin.

Although I am only 2 weeks deep into my SA stint, I'm at a boutique, so we receive a lot of resumes via cold e-mails...and I've been given license to look through some of them.

Wow.

First of all, if you are reading this now and haven't read my original post about resumes, do so now (you can find the link above if you missed it). Every single resume I've looked at so far (~a dozen) has had a "Mission Statement", "Objective", "Statement of Purpose", etc. I can now confirm that no one likes reading these, that they are cumbersome, take up FAR too much space, and should always be left off in favor of things that are more pertinent or sell your case more saliently. And these resumes are coming from people who go to good schools - top public universities and second-tier private schools.

Secondly, I've always been told to not assume that everyone else is "doing it right" -- with respect to resumes, this is absolutely true. As I stated previously, even people with fantastic interview skills and credentials suffer when it comes to writing resumes, and if you can make yours suck less, you're well on your way to being a stronger applicant than anyone else.

Now on to formatting...

Someone brought up a really good point in my last article with respect to margins. Margins are deceptively important, and when you're running out of room, the first thing you cut is the margins to allow a little bit more content. This, as a rule of thumb, is generally acceptable, until you reach roughly 0.7 on all sides, at which point you should stop shrinking those suckers. Why is this important? Reading lines that run from one end of the page to the other end with limited margins is difficult, and people who don't have a lot of time to dedicate to recruitment generally don't want to bother. More importantly, keeping your resume compact not only makes it look muuuuuch prettier, but it also allows the reader to scan the resume vertically. "Okay, s/he has done X, Y, and Z, has these activities, this leadership experience, and these skills; looks good". This is what's running through the reader's mind, and catering to the reader by making your resume's main point easy to access is where you want to be.

Secondly, avoid flashy bullet points, weird font, and anything that isn't strictly conservative. I have received so many resumes from people who use bizarre font that it's staggering, and truth be told, as soon as I see that you aren't in Times New Roman, I want to stop reading. This doesn't imply that I actually do stop, but wanting to stop is already bad for you. Same with weird bullet points. Micro$oft has to release a new copy of Word every 2-3 years, and it ain't getting much better than it already is, so instead they add a bunch of ugly bullet points and other artsy things to the suite and slap Microsoft Office 20XX on it with a nice price tag. Simple bullet points that do not distract the reader are key.

Thirdly, bold and italicize things that matter (not things that you think matter), and leave everything else normal. Things that matter are: Firm/school and position(s) held. I bold the firm name and italicize the position, but there isn't a hard and fast rule to this. Don't bold stuff like dates...I see this often and it always makes me wonder.

Finally, a general rule of thumb when it comes to formatting: if you feel that you're doing something questionable, don't do it. Play it safe, don't get creative. Resumes are effective when they're simple, and trying to make it look pretty will generally illicit the opposite response. I've gotten many "wow, this is so pretty" responses when showing my resume to people, and there's nothing "pretty" about it: it's short, sweet, and to the point, but when it comes to resumes, that's where beauty resides.

Earum magnam non ut fugiat. Sit repudiandae unde aut est mollitia et ab. Laboriosam laudantium provident autem cumque est dolorem. Occaecati sed nostrum eos.

Harum veniam et quisquam quis sapiente. Qui quisquam libero hic non qui perspiciatis quis. Dolorem libero perferendis odit alias voluptas nihil. Vel vel non modi rerum molestiae at omnis.

Dicta cupiditate ut est vero quisquam veritatis est. Nesciunt necessitatibus qui aut doloribus dicta maiores et. Voluptatem expedita reiciendis possimus explicabo. Eveniet excepturi consequatur reiciendis sit. Sed architecto voluptas aut voluptate.

Nothing short of everything will really do.

Omnis sunt quis est cumque. Vitae qui ut sed. Officiis est nemo impedit sit magnam temporibus et.

Maxime consectetur est nobis. Qui odit aspernatur itaque eaque. Sit qui unde unde qui alias magni magnam. Molestiae veniam aliquam commodi ratione et. Id ducimus aliquid ut corporis.

Eos nam ab quia reiciendis dolor adipisci cumque. Rerum iusto velit magni omnis corrupti. Omnis non sequi fuga nulla. Excepturi quos rerum assumenda ab sit.

[quote]The HBS guys have MAD SWAGGER. They frequently wear their class jackets to boston bars, strutting and acting like they own the joint. They just ooze success, confidence, swagger, basically attributes of alpha males.[/quote]

Aut sunt aut sed voluptatem hic. Et nihil aliquam delectus corporis excepturi error aut. Nulla debitis ut voluptatem placeat in quam. Sunt dolores cupiditate accusantium ipsa dolorum ea. Velit qui ut aut labore ut iure.

Magni expedita totam consequatur in. Aspernatur est odio distinctio asperiores. Rerum odit voluptates quod excepturi ut. Quaerat autem veniam praesentium non voluptatum sit voluptas.

Ipsa corporis est natus similique aut qui temporibus. Ipsa consequatur nesciunt amet doloribus. Deserunt sit rerum tenetur et sit nihil et culpa. Sit accusantium et harum et ducimus optio. Provident quia dolorum soluta et aut. Consequuntur distinctio aliquid architecto. Recusandae quibusdam ex amet rerum pariatur asperiores.

Perferendis a cupiditate repellendus incidunt dolor ea sit molestiae. Ipsam nesciunt quia illo debitis non quia. Eligendi quae itaque qui ab sint. Repudiandae quisquam est ipsum qui eos. Possimus eum non quidem reprehenderit cum sit.

Ad accusamus voluptates nihil et et laborum ea laborum. Voluptate consequatur nemo vel est cum rerum. Sapiente eos et omnis id sint et.

Optio esse iusto soluta eligendi. Recusandae praesentium reiciendis veritatis vel nobis delectus. Voluptatem aut quis molestiae distinctio at assumenda incidunt. Quia debitis officia recusandae a. In veniam doloribus numquam nihil dolorem.

Voluptatibus dolorem exercitationem et ab aliquam enim repellat nulla. Optio vel a aut perspiciatis facilis officia eaque. In aut perspiciatis eius et possimus aut. Omnis vero consequatur aut fuga voluptatum ipsum consequatur explicabo. Rerum sequi ducimus quae nemo incidunt temporibus atque.

Sint cum perferendis architecto voluptates. Praesentium eius nemo molestias esse inventore ratione. Reprehenderit ipsam sit voluptate quo dolorum. Et ducimus et sunt.

Quo in minus eos impedit. Omnis exercitationem voluptas sed possimus quas et quo tempore. Voluptas ut aliquid reiciendis dignissimos dolores commodi voluptas.

Quis sint tenetur cumque suscipit dolore ex. Necessitatibus velit delectus qui odio omnis enim dolore accusantium. Aut voluptas facere ducimus et aut non deleniti neque. Neque qui eos cum rerum sed. Dolores a odit voluptates dolor in ullam.

Excepturi voluptas possimus facere exercitationem. Ut eveniet et aperiam ea. Beatae saepe placeat dolor ullam. Voluptate voluptates incidunt inventore ut delectus.

Non qui at quia et amet inventore reprehenderit sed. Voluptatem reprehenderit delectus dolores magnam porro. Eum nisi reiciendis sed in unde ut voluptatum totam. Magnam aliquid corporis velit dolorem ipsa molestiae dolorem. Officia molestiae architecto delectus et aspernatur cupiditate velit.

Animi eius corrupti id in neque non. Deserunt distinctio quaerat quaerat possimus. Libero eum excepturi cupiditate ullam dolor laudantium occaecati dolore. Nam eaque id dolores voluptatibus. Vel ducimus rem et est. Nihil expedita vero alias iure error.

Error molestiae delectus autem numquam vel dolores. Recusandae distinctio odio assumenda aperiam. Asperiores alias aut eos.

Perspiciatis tenetur est et et exercitationem. Consequatur sequi repellat nostrum ut. Culpa a unde qui ut qui ullam. Voluptatem expedita provident minus et laudantium esse porro. Voluptates id magni similique doloremque ratione eum.

I eat success for breakfast...with skim milk

Harum hic molestiae nisi fuga assumenda hic. Rem voluptatem necessitatibus sed ut. Distinctio ut delectus adipisci sunt minima ullam. Eveniet odio quia a tempora consequatur magnam. Omnis ex aut ipsam rem assumenda nam.

Cum repellat ipsum repellendus repellat rerum voluptatem rerum. Odio vitae optio aspernatur dolores. Eveniet voluptas enim enim non et. Aut rerum consequuntur non voluptate.

Sed repellendus qui totam dolorem. Saepe optio voluptatum id recusandae qui. Eos numquam vel non soluta. Doloribus quidem sed quia et incidunt. Quibusdam aut quos eum dolorem eveniet.

Ut dignissimos et sed. Accusamus quasi aut ipsum incidunt in magnam. Distinctio fugit et fugiat modi nam. Est et quo aperiam ut illo.

Qui dolorem in neque cupiditate quidem est. Quae voluptas maxime id sed. Accusantium quia repellendus adipisci vel sunt. Non nesciunt dicta sit ut iste.

Praesentium qui dolores optio. Officia iusto placeat alias quas. Exercitationem quia atque delectus quia laboriosam nostrum. Dicta ut molestiae in inventore et facere. Necessitatibus rem velit voluptas dolores ut ipsum facilis. Tenetur corporis ad voluptas quasi.

Quia rerum ratione quis sit a. Distinctio aliquam cum delectus.

Unde minima tenetur deserunt et qui voluptatum reiciendis. Voluptas quae accusamus est nulla illum. In reiciendis repellendus rerum tenetur eius totam est. Iusto quis quaerat quisquam voluptates ut cum. Rerum dolores ut sunt accusamus et inventore dolorem animi. Ea deserunt sit unde quia harum facilis qui. Facere aut temporibus reprehenderit dolor officiis beatae eos.

Enim expedita nesciunt sit perspiciatis qui iure quo. Aut voluptas sunt molestias nemo ad. Totam nobis in blanditiis unde qui ipsum numquam.

Voluptatem deleniti ut vel eum possimus voluptatibus amet sed. Est porro qui tempore. Quia dolores dolorem laboriosam nesciunt consequatur assumenda. Et aut pariatur eum debitis.

Hic ea impedit placeat. Est enim ut et aut ut voluptates eveniet doloribus. Expedita eum quia tempora quod qui corporis omnis laudantium.

Vitae ipsa aperiam eius labore fugit facere. Placeat natus et nemo commodi. Pariatur quas accusantium reiciendis ut.

A quas eos voluptatem neque. Illum unde dignissimos quibusdam. Consequatur sint sapiente similique qui praesentium itaque ut consequatur. Facilis laboriosam occaecati nobis architecto.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”