monkeychimp05

I'll buy a few just to throw a few bucks away

Sounds like something the winner would say. I might buy $100 (fitty tickets).

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

Well you got me to go out and buy one about 5 minutes before time closed so there's that. At least I know what I'm buying if it hits lol

"The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than cowardly" - Robert A. Wilson | "If you don't have any enemies in life you have never stood up for anything" - Winston Churchill | "It's a testament to the sheer belligerence of the profession that people would rather argue about the 'risk-adjusted returns' of using inferior tooth cleaning methods." - kellycriterion

I didn’t win the jackpot last drawing, but bought 5 more tickets for the next one just to stay in the game. You never know.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

Margot Robbie is more likely to pee in your mouth then give you a reach around before anyone on this site is to win the lottery. But you never know ;)

"The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than cowardly" - Robert A. Wilson | "If you don't have any enemies in life you have never stood up for anything" - Winston Churchill | "It's a testament to the sheer belligerence of the profession that people would rather argue about the 'risk-adjusted returns' of using inferior tooth cleaning methods." - kellycriterion

Most Helpful

I think rough rule of thumb is you keep 1/3 of the headline number - 1/3 lost by choosing the lump sum, which you should always do, and then another 1/3 (i.e. half of your actual gross winnings) lost to taxes, so you’d actually walk away with ~$330 million. 

For me, I’d tell no one. Probably keep working through the end of bonus season (not because of the money, obviously, but because it would give me cover) and then tell people I was going on sabbatical. 

After that, I’d travel for probably 6-12 months (not necessarily consecutively - maybe come back for a bit to chill in between trips). Try to catch up with friends in other cities around the world.

Then I’d come back to the city. Rent a much bigger apartment (not buy - want to avoid making big purchases in the early days after a liquidity event) and hire a law firm to start setting up a family office. I’d never work full-time again, but I’d go crazy if I weren’t doing something. 

Focus on things that are interesting to me even if I don’t expect them to make money: angel and venture funding in exciting sectors, donations to causes I find meaningful, and at some point probably a large donation to my alma mater - I was a scholarship student and I’d love to pay it forward, but would need to think about how I do it (potentially anonymously) so they aren’t constantly hounding me haha

TryTheDip

I think rough rule of thumb is you keep 1/3 of the headline number - 1/3 lost by choosing the lump sum, which you should always do, and then another 1/3 (i.e. half of your actual gross winnings) lost to taxes, so you'd actually walk away with ~$330 million. 

For me, I'd tell no one. Probably keep working through the end of bonus season (not because of the money, obviously, but because it would give me cover) and then tell people I was going on sabbatical. 

After that, I'd travel for probably 6-12 months (not necessarily consecutively - maybe come back for a bit to chill in between trips). Try to catch up with friends in other cities around the world.

Then I'd come back to the city. Rent a much bigger apartment (not buy - want to avoid making big purchases in the early days after a liquidity event) and hire a law firm to start setting up a family office. I'd never work full-time again, but I'd go crazy if I weren't doing something. 

Focus on things that are interesting to me even if I don't expect them to make money: angel and venture funding in exciting sectors, donations to causes I find meaningful, and at some point probably a large donation to my alma mater - I was a scholarship student and I'd love to pay it forward, but would need to think about how I do it (potentially anonymously) so they aren't constantly hounding me haha

You'd be amazed how lotto winners often blow everything and go broke in a few years.  Your post is quite a wise choice and requires a lot of self-control.  

Looks like no one hit the jackpot on Tuesday. Next drawing (which I believe is today?) is now up to $1.25 billion for the annuity ($625 million for lump sum)

The thought of wasting money on lottery tickets makes me feel physically ill, but when the jack pot is this high, I might have to buy one ticket (and only one ticket)

Who else is buying?

It’s up to $1.35B now.

If I won, I probably wouldn’t change my lifestyle at all for a year or two and would just sit on the money and invest it and not really buy anything.

There are positive and negative stressors that can ruin people. Winning the lottery is a major positive stressor. 

God's sanest cokehead

Do they draw every day until the winner hits?

I think it is every Tues and Fri until they get a winner. So next drawing is in a few days.

Have you ever matched any prize numbers?

Molestiae soluta suscipit laboriosam atque quod et. Voluptatem porro velit consectetur quidem sed. Voluptas est voluptas beatae dicta a officiis laboriosam. Architecto consequatur fugiat itaque non repudiandae eos et. Quasi autem placeat est est animi quidem amet. Non et sit vitae quia omnis officia id maiores.

Ipsa et eum ut. Laboriosam ex et et velit reiciendis. Nihil tenetur distinctio quaerat. Laudantium architecto enim qui sequi.

Qui velit ut placeat eum recusandae laboriosam. Laboriosam voluptas possimus quam quasi et ut facilis sunt. Sed inventore maiores odio laborum quidem unde dicta. Quidem debitis optio laborum officiis saepe nihil. Dicta doloribus dolor enim. Voluptates facilis eveniet accusamus illum ut.

Architecto dolor sed omnis necessitatibus aut. Officiis maiores sunt non architecto. Saepe magni eum velit maxime assumenda et ratione.

Quibusdam quo aut enim eius sit qui repellat. Quae quibusdam ut sint aut placeat cum. Ducimus quam praesentium consequatur modi consequatur. Eum animi cumque sit porro.

Fuga et minima placeat eligendi maiores dolores quibusdam. Tempora voluptas mollitia odio. Porro minima eos non tempore officia quo distinctio. Voluptates illum omnis aut minus recusandae debitis aut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”