Would it be better to put a 3.79 over a 3.8?

So I am a sophomore who just finished sem 3. I have a 3.788 technically, which would round to 3.79 on a standard two decimal system. I know some people just have one decimal, but would it be better for me to just keep it at 3.79 instead of 3.8 because people could assume I rounded at as low as a 3.75? I highly doubt any job would place a meaningful difference to my resume over that, but just hypothetically, would it be better to just say 3.79?

I know half the online applications just bucket you to the nearest tenth anyway.....

Region
24 Comments
 

No one will care. 3.79 vs 3.8 will look exactly the same to bankers. I can guarantee you that they will only glance for one second at your GPA to make sure it's not below the cutoff and then move on

 

IncomingIBDreject financeabc Why is there a topic dedicated to rounding? You'd be surprised how many times this shows up in the IB forum.

Yeah, I never go in the IB forum, so I would not know.  It just seems like such a trivial little thing.  I have always rounded my GPA up.  I would not even think twice about rounding to the highest 10th.  Now, no one has the rounding skills of a @MaxEbic" 

 

rugby16

3.5->4.0

This is incorrect rounding. It is 3.5 -> 4. 

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee
 

I would put 3.79. It seems more precise. 3.8 definitely means you don’t have a 3.81 or 3.82 etc as no one rounds down. It seems like it is 3.7X putting 3.8. 

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee
 

Put 3.79, it doesn't make a huge difference but I respect people who just own up to whatever gpa they have. Rounding to 2 sigfigs is bullshit and we all know it 

To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering.
 

Yeah I graduated early and work at an EB wassup? Aren't you the same dude who didn't understand why we have a vaccine for covid when we need to take flu shots every year? Also, I never said anyone would weed you out for rounding your gpa- I just said I personally respect people who put the gpa they earned 

To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering.
 

In qui laudantium alias perspiciatis. Aut non dolore ratione veritatis. Aut sed voluptatem sint ut itaque veritatis. Quis facere facilis beatae dolorum. Sit id quisquam quo voluptas. Ducimus voluptas iusto aut nihil ipsam laboriosam non nesciunt.

Nisi quia odit nulla est quo eos. Saepe consequuntur iusto autem debitis et consequatur beatae. Modi autem et voluptatem illum. Et voluptatibus assumenda distinctio minima qui nihil autem autem.

Dolores officiis accusamus aut enim. Impedit aut aut qui dolor. Iure ut saepe laboriosam. Error consequatur fugiat voluptatem neque omnis.

In perferendis et iste sit. Explicabo ex quia et at nihil quis. Sed doloribus eos voluptatum dolores provident dolorum. Et occaecati nostrum optio accusamus commodi eius minima. Magnam molestiae laborum similique in nihil et aspernatur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Goldman Sachs 02 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (56) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
3
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
4
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
5
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
6
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
7
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
8
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
9
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
10
numi's picture
numi
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”