WSO Weekly Wrap-Up (11/21-11/27)

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone! In case you missed them, here're some of last week's most popular topics:

5 Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Consulting
Post By @Alistair-Clark"

I worked as a management consultant for 4 years and learned a bunch of stuff about business and strategy and operations. I also learned how to sound smart about something I knew nothing about, and how to use jargon to make simple things sound incredibly complex. While none of these things help me with my new business, I did pick up a few valuable life lessons. Hopefully these lessons will help the next generation of consultants.

Non-Targeted Southern School with No Connections, 2016 Capital Markets Analyst
Post By @dj_clem"

I grew up in a small South Carolina town and I am the first in my family to get a degree from an accredited school. My family was not well off so I went to a state school and graduated as quickly as possible-- completing my Bachelors and Masters in Economics in three years. I wanted to go into IB before moving to a VC or startup, but I was turned down from every internship I applied to in the industry. I missed deadlines for most internships (no one from my school did IB, so I had no mentorship) or I just simply did not qualify... I can not wait to start working and represent my school. In future, I will definitely be paying my kids to go to an elite school!

Value and Taxes: Breaking down the Pfizer- Allergan Deal
Post By @Aswath Damodaran"

This deal, which will make one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world even larger, has drawn attention not just because of its magnitude, but also for its motives. While there has been some desultory chatter about synergy (as is the case with every merger), this deal seems focused on two specific motivations: the first is that this is a bid by Pfizer to buy Allergan's higher growth and the second is that this is a deal designed to save taxes. Not surprisingly, the latter is attracting attention not just from investors and financial journalists, but also from politicians.

3 Reasons Canadians Aren’t Seeing Lower Pump Prices
Post By @Justin."

Canada is one of the top oil producing nations in the world. With WTI prices down over 50% compared to this time last year, many are confused as to why this has not led to substantially lower pump prices. Here are 3 reasons Canadians have not seen lower pump prices.

Six things I have learned after joining a top business school (part 1/2)
Post By @LBS Bloggers"

A few months ago, I arrived in London to pursue a Masters in Finance at LBS. LBS was always within the top five in all rankings and more importantly, it appeared to be one of the few European names highly regarded by American recruiters. Everything looked great when I got an offer letter. I booked my flights and arrived at London Business School in early August.

M7 MBA Stereotypes Busted!
Post By @westcoastmonkey8"

I think this post will be very helpful for MBA candidates. I was in Chicago visiting Kellogg and Booth and met a handful of current students (& alumni) and learned something surprising: when looking into PE resources at both schools, Kellogg's was much more impressive than Booth's (no offense to all Boothies out there). Have you visited or attended any MBA business schools">M7 MBA program and thought, "Wow, everyone thinks X about this school but from my experience, it's more Y"? Let's get this rolling!

Starting an Advisory Boutique
Post By @takenotes08"

One of the main takeaways I had from FoF was that good fund managers have good proprietary deal flow. Now, I figured that I could be one of those guys giving these fund managers proprietary dealflow and maybe even advise clients on their valuation and picking the right fund manager - by using what I learned during my internship. I could generate revenue by either simply finding the leads and selling them to the fund managers or actually advising the clients. Let me know what you guys think!

Are Minneapolis/Philadelphia good cities?
Post By @mark198"

I am concerned about the hot weather in Minneapolis. Given its size. Minneapolis seems to be a pretty urban city and is less expensive relative to Seattle. As for Philadelphia, the city is larger and much nearer to NYC, yet the crime rate is higher. If you had to choose between the two cities, which would be a good one to start out in before trying to move to a larger cities such as NYC, Chicago or San Francisco?

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”