WSO Weekly Wrap-Up (4/23-4/29)

In case you missed them, here're some of last week's most popular topics:

Headed to HBS in the Fall - Ask Me Anything (AMA)
Post By @Deo et Patriae"

I was fortunate enough to be accepted into HBS in Round 2 and I will be heading there this Fall. I graduated with an AB from Harvard (Economics). Feel free to ask about my experience with the MBA application process.

Why are Equity Research and Investment Management looked down upon?
Post By @billbelichick69"

It seems like there is a lack of content on WSO outside of the IB and PE forums. I would guess that this is because of the site's general focus towards IB; I also noticed that are no ER or AM guides published by WSO. As far as ER and AM seem to be looked down upon, I have noticed some people do not recognize that ER and AM both have decent balance and exit opportunities.

The Allure of Investment Banking
Post By @etx"

At what age did you know that investment banking was the right industry for you? Did you plan on making it a short stint, or did the fierce competition and devastatingly exciting work grab you and not let you go?

Fulltime recruiting: How many slots are there? Associates and Analysts
Post By @Redelephant"

How many slots are there generally for full-time analyst or associate gigs once you take out the Summer slots? This question pertains to middle-market firms (including Stifel/Raymond James and the like), BBs and EBs.

My system for getting better at work (every single day)
Post By @Alistair-Clark"

Today, I am going to share with you a tactic I use when I feel that my (professional) growth is stagnant. It is a simple system I use to measure my performance and make sure that I am getting better every single day.

AMA: Venture Capital Co-Founding Partner
Post By @SeedCapitalist7"

I went to a non-target state school that did not have a huge IB/PE presence, which made things tough, but had an exceptional finance program. In the fall of my first year in college, I gained the courage to go downtown to a finance internship fair. I came around to speaking with a partner at a middle market PE fund that was locally based in the city. A few weeks after my interview with him, during my Christmas break shopping spree, I received a call from the MD whom I interviewed with. I accepted the internship offer during the winter semester.

Stanford Wall Street Placement East Coast
Post By @wallstreet000"

How is Stanford's presence on the East Coast in terms of finance? I know how important the alumni network is, and most of that network for Stanford is on the West Coast. Would I be at a disadvantage by going to Stanford instead of Princeton, when I wish to pursue a Wall Street career in the East?

Venture Capital Sucks
Post By @Nick Naylor"

At least, that Is what David Siegel thinks. While certainly not a huge name in the VC industry, the guy seemingly has some good firsthand experience and is not afraid to disparage the model of VC as a whole.

What programming languages are most useful?
Post By @Spoli21"

I will be interning this summer on the S&T desk at a BB. Apart from VBA, which programming languages are the most common/usable/practical on the trading/structuring/strategy desk? Is it Python?

Who do you guys have winning the NBA Finals this year?
Post By @GTMonkey"

Are there any basketball fans here? I am a Miami Heat fan and I would love to see them win it all, but there is a 99.99% chance of that not happening.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”