If someone gave you 150k to quit banking/reject your offer...

What would you do?

Obviously the money would not be to spend on whatever you want.

You can't just quit/turn down the offer, take the money, and get back into finance.

It would be to go create a business/startup or do something you truly enjoy. Thoughts?

9 Comments
 

This is $150,000 after taxes which takes at least 2-3 years to get as an analyst (note this is 2-3 years of the prime of your life), and you'd have to live frugally throughout those years.

 
Best Response

It's not enough but I'll bite. This would be a one year plan and I'm assuming the 150 is after tax. I'd pay off my student loans, pre-pay rent in downtown Chicago for one year, enroll to get my teacher certificate, coach a youth hockey team full time and find someone to co-found a goalie school with.

Student Loans (-20,000) Rent (-24,000) Teaching Cert (-25,000) (This is just a guess, not sure how much the one year program is) Coaching +10,000 Goalie School (-6,000) (This is basically one time costs such as equipment that I would need, revenue would offset all labor costs, insurance, ice time, etc. Yes I did an excel breakdown for this) 85k left over for living expenses/IRA contribution/etc

So basically now after one year I am a teacher (~50k/year to start in Chicago Public Schools), I coach hockey (~10k/year to start) and now in the summer I have a business for doing goalie camps/personal goalie coaching (I'm guessing over the summer I could probably net another 10-15k depending on how many camps and how much coaching I want to do) and about 50k give or take left over.

This to all my hatin' folks seeing me getting guac right now..
 
CruncharooIt's not enough but I'll bite. This would be a one year plan and I'm assuming the 150 is after tax. I'd pay off my student loans, pre-pay rent in downtown Chicago for one year, enroll to get my teacher certificate, coach a youth hockey team full time and find someone to co-found a goalie school with.

Student Loans (-20,000) Rent (-24,000) Teaching Cert (-25,000) (This is just a guess, not sure how much the one year program is) Coaching +10,000 Goalie School (-6,000) (This is basically one time costs such as equipment that I would need, revenue would offset all labor costs, insurance, ice time, etc. Yes I did an excel breakdown for this) 85k left over for living expenses/IRA contribution/etc

So basically now after one year I am a teacher (~50k/year to start in Chicago Public Schools), I coach hockey (~10k/year to start) and now in the summer I have a business for doing goalie camps/personal goalie coaching (I'm guessing over the summer I could probably net another 10-15k depending on how many camps and how much coaching I want to do) and about 50k give or take left over.

I'd pile into the goalie school idea with you, but I dunno how easy I could live off of a pretax 50k once you factor in the wife-ness/potential family situation. Or maybe you're describing the ideal life in which there is no family and you can coach all the time and actually be happy. But I don't think anyone wants us to be happy :(

 

Tempora ex debitis repudiandae alias animi non. Aperiam blanditiis nihil fugiat. Tempora perferendis consequatur et. Aut mollitia ut qui iure eligendi. Quam totam dolorem temporibus alias totam.

Laboriosam veritatis vel ut exercitationem. Maxime animi reiciendis inventore omnis dolores. Provident dolores quos aut harum. Deserunt rem omnis eligendi et perspiciatis accusantium earum. Nulla eligendi nihil maxime magnam quia officia ut. Unde et rem aut quidem maxime. Dolor qui assumenda officia.

Nesciunt nulla rerum rerum soluta. Magni pariatur iure ut aperiam et consequuntur saepe.

Sunt id suscipit praesentium eum dolor. Ad officia quis dolore voluptatem a amet. Aut quasi nisi debitis. Dolor quo dolorum ducimus magnam iusto asperiores et. Qui iure eum recusandae. Officia sed architecto voluptas sit corporis voluptatum occaecati.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (56) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
3
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
4
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
5
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
6
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
7
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
8
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
9
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
10
bolo up's picture
bolo up
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”