internship decision - Strong Fortunre 500

So i got an offer for a strong fortune 500 company as a finance intern in which i am guaranteed a full time interview for their rotational program after the completion of the internship. The deadline is in a few days and cannot be extended.

I am scheduled to have an interview with a large bank (MM/maybe BB in some countries) as a summer analyst in their Capital Markets Group and am close with an MD at the bank who referred me.

I go to a non-target and supposedly reneging on an offer is extremely frowned upon and i have heard that career-services takes this very seriously which would hurt my FT search. I need to decide whether to take the F500 internship before I will even have my banking interview.

Any advice?

Best Response

That's tough, exploding offer. Don't renege, make a decision and stick by it. By your asking of the question, I assume you want to do MM capital markets over industry corp fin and that you are a junior. If you're a sophomore, I'd be risk averse and take the F500 job and apply to banking firms next year. If you're a junior at a non-target, your chances of getting a banking capital markets job are probably not decisively high enough to turn down a lucrative opportunity with a good F500 that you already have in hand. Especially if you have fewer than 5 interviews lined up, since offer rates even from first-round interviews are slim. So if you're not close enough with this MD (i.e. he/she is not your parent or family friend), I think you should call the bank, request an accelerated interview process given your other offer, and if they decline, go with the F500. Obviously, talk to others before making this big decision. There could be some hope that with a brand-name finance internship for FT recruiting, you could still land a capital markets job, if that's indeed what you want.

Another thing to consider is whether you like the industry of your F500 offer and how well their rotation program feeds into business school/exit opps, assuming you will ultimately get a FT offer from the F500. Coming from a non-target, a brand-name F500 might be just what you need down the road. Strong b-school admissions could get you a quality BB or MM capital markets job later. Non-target + MM capital markets can be tough waters to tread as an analyst, since there is a bias towards analysts from target schools for buyside recruiting, although you might still land something

And lastly, "MM/maybe BB in some countries?" You got me playing the guessing game, haha, can't imagine what firm meets that criteria except maybe Asian firms in the U.S. (Nomura, HSBC). Good luck

Et expedita vitae quia laboriosam dolores velit. Minima incidunt quo architecto ipsum beatae reiciendis. Beatae beatae ab ratione exercitationem. Itaque dolore sit reiciendis harum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”