2021 On-Cycle Private Equity Recruiting

Given how much of a black box the PE recruiting cycle is, I thought it would be nice to have one thread where users can post regarding updates to the 2021 on-cycle process. For example, if folks could give updates about recent firm events they’ve been to, I know that everybody would appreciate the information.

Region

Be ready to go as early as this weekend. Not a guarantee it'll happen but you never know. I've heard from multiple friends and sources that most of the MFs are ready... It'll likely kick off again with a SF-based fund (GG, Thoma Bravo) coming out to NYC on a whim to interview kids, then everyone will go. That's how it happened the past few years. Good luck to those of you about to go through this shit show

Most Helpful

Some serious advice -- if it's a surprise to you that on-cycle is kicking off, don't go to interviews, don't burn any bridges with head hunters, and don't freak out.

The people who will land jobs in the next couple of days are not surprised. They have multiple touchpoints with the firms launching through coffee chats and cocktail hours, they've been prepping all summer, already met with HHs and are in the absolute best groups on WS. They're also probably not on WSO right now. If this isn't you, that's fine. It wasn't me.

There will be plenty of opportunities to move to the buyside later this year and throughout your careers. You don't need to feel anxiety about locking in an offer for two years from now, three weeks into your first job out of college just because roughly 100 kids will over the next few days.

-- Sincerely,

A second year analyst who watched this circus play out last year, pulled his hair out and was offered interviews with TPG and Apollo 6+ months later... because funds will underhire... because there's risk involved in hiring exclusively applicants who don't yet know how to do the job they're being hired to do.. even if they have otherwise spotless resumes..

Assuming you're a first year analyst and are not interested in on-cycle 2021 I'd recommend just laying low till this craziness dies down. Spend your time preparing for headhunter introductions and then reach out to them once this process is over. They'll have much more time for you. At that point you can tell them you're interested in off-cycle opportunities and/or participating in next year's 2022 on-cycle process.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

May 2024 Private Equity

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

May 2024 Private Equity

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

May 2024 Private Equity

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (389) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (316) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
numi's picture
numi
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”