~$350m Fund I - VP Carry?

I'm entering into carry negotiations. Thoughts from the community on where I should set my expectation/what I should push for? I'm a first year VP at a new $350m fund. There are 2 partners, 1 principal, 1 VP (me), and 2 associates.

Also, does $150/$150+ cash sound right? Gut says it is.

Thanks

$150/150 sounds about right for a $300mm fund...fyi, you can filter the company database by salary directly now here: http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/wso-company-database/salary

so you can filter by job title (Vice President) and industry (PE) and see what it spits out...under company search tab you can also filter by AUM and see if you can find a set of firms in your area...then you can look around LinkedIn and see if you're able to find anyone you're remotely connected to that may have a better idea on comp at these types of funds...

not sure on the carry...

karypto:

I'm sure this is rather bold. But do you know if they would disclose a waterfall/equity cap table to see whose pie you will be eating from?

Haha - I don't think I'm comfortable going there, but I would assume that it will come equally from the partners' share.

I can't provide a great benchmark but I work on a $100m - $200m fund II and VP's get $145K base, range of bonuses and 0.5 of the 20 percents carry (aka 2.5% of the total carried interest). There are 6 partners here already.

I'm not 100% sure but I'd assume this is somewhat below market, probably because the top-heavy structure. Good luck.

"If you want to succeed in this life, you need to understand that duty comes before rights and that responsibility precedes opportunity."

TheBigBambino:

I can't provide a great benchmark but I work on a $100m - $200m fund II and VP's get $145K base, range of bonuses and 0.5 of the 20 percents carry (aka 2.5% of the total carried interest). There are 6 partners here already.

I'm not 100% sure but I'd assume this is somewhat below market, probably because the top-heavy structure. Good luck.

What's your compensation if you don't mind me asking?

Best Response

$150/$150 is actually pretty generous considering it is the first fund. Without investments from prior funds to draw fees from, the firms ability to pay out $300k to a VP is solid. If it were the second or third fund, I'd say it is potentially a little light.

On the carry perspective, I'm assuming that the firm is hiring multiple additional people. 2 Partners / 1 Principal / 1 VP is pretty slim for a $350mm fund. There is probably additional carry allocated for future hires. I'd say that market compensation would be 1-2%, but the incredibly small team creates more to go around. You may be able to negotiate up to 5%, which would be above market, but possibly attainable given the situation.

CompBanker’s Career Guidance Services: https://www.rossettiadvisors.com/

CompBanker:

$150/$150 is actually pretty generous considering it is the first fund. Without investments from prior funds to draw fees from, the firms ability to pay out $300k to a VP is solid. If it were the second or third fund, I'd say it is potentially a little light.

On the carry perspective, I'm assuming that the firm is hiring multiple additional people. 2 Partners / 1 Principal / 1 VP is pretty slim for a $350mm fund. There is probably additional carry allocated for future hires. I'd say that market compensation would be 1-2%, but the incredibly small team creates more to go around. You may be able to negotiate up to 5%, which would be above market, but possibly attainable given the situation.

What would you expect an associate in this situation to make?

Devils Advocate:

What would you expect an associate in this situation to make?

Simply a competitive rate for MM PE associates. I wouldn't expect the associates to have any carry. The lower you are on the seniority chain the less you tend to capture in excess profits, particularly if the associates are on a 2/3 year pre-MBA program.
CompBanker’s Career Guidance Services: https://www.rossettiadvisors.com/

Consectetur quasi id blanditiis molestiae autem consequatur. Non est quia quod impedit. Voluptatem soluta ratione voluptas quae ea ut neque. Magni ratione dolorem corrupti nihil.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $266
  • 1st Year Associate (388) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”