IB or $200M PE Fund out of UG?

I'm in an interesting situation and I was hoping that some of you WSO members could lend me a hand.

In Summer 2017 I interned at a small PE fund (three employees, $100M fund at the time) after sophomore year. I really enjoyed my time, but due to the fact that I wasn't graduating for two years I re-recruited and landed an SA gig at in IB in SF. I enjoyed my time there and ultimately signed a return offer before returning to school for senior year.

However, just last week my boss from the small PE fund called me and asked me to come work for him after I graduate. He said that he is in the process of raising $200M and that I will be his right hand man throughout the process. I would be building investment theses, sourcing deals, and conducting diligence. He said that I will have the chance to invest alongside the fund and get carry. Additionally, he mentioned that promotion opportunities are available.

I'm really not sure what to do about this situation. It feels like IB is the safer path as I could re-recruit for PE after two years, but working at this PE fund could allow me to get in on the ground floor of a firm with great growth opportunities and autonomy. Additionally, the chance to get some skin in the game early through investments with the fund and carry is very appealing.

Additionally, what questions should I ask my old boss as I make this decision? It's a huge turning point in my life and I want to make sure I am fully informed before making a final choice.

Am I crazy for even considering this? Please let me know. Thank you.

Most Helpful

I commend you for thinking about this so maturely as a 21/22 year old. You've outlined all the major pros and cons. I think banking for a year gives you some option value - a "big" name on the resume and a wider network - all benefits wherever your path goes in the future. That said, all my connections who are doing the best in PE now got in early at funds that grew rapidly. I'd personally do the 1 year at the bank as well. But I'd grab lunch or swing by the old boss' office and make clear your interest in joining after a year. You could frame it as the BB providing free training, more able to hit the ground running after a year in banking, etc etc.

If you join and the fund flames out, you are completely okay assuming they had capital and were doing a bunch of deals. You would be way too junior to have bad deals stain your track record. But you'd have a ton of "what not to do" deal experience which any PE fund would value for a mid level hire.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

May 2024 Private Equity

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

May 2024 Private Equity

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

May 2024 Private Equity

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (388) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (315) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”