MSRED/MSRE Megathread 2020

It's about that time of the year ya'll, I figured i'd make the thread this year and gather those sweet, sweet, banana points.

Please see below stats and let me know if you have any general questions about the process and MSREDs in general. Good luck to ya'll, and i'll update as I receive any responses. I'd love some input from those who are applying and status of those who have heard back.

Stats/Background:

University/Major/GPA - State School(Think Illinois, Purdue, Etc, TAMU)/Civil Engineering/Sub 3.0 Trash
GMAT - 710 - 44Q/44V/8IR/6AWA
W/E - GC Project Management/Owners Rep, 3.5 years.
Hooks - Non-URM, Non-Legacies

School Status:

MIT - Applied
Harvard MDes - Applied
Columbia - Applied
Cornell - Applied, Interviewed
NYU - Applied

Cheers,
DFY

Is it possible to use an MSRE/MSRED similar to an MBA, and switch into RE? I'm currently in F500 FP&A and want to get out, I'm just not sure how realistic the change would be.

Array

It is possible to get into some of these programs with no traditional RE background. A lot of prior discussions do talk about other individual using an MSRE/MRED to break in from other non-related areas of work, but there are also comments that say the first gig after grad school can be hard to land because employers would still put you in the same pool as newly-minted grads who have recently finished their undergrad.

Other discussions on this topic do tend to praise the MBA more than the MSRE mostly because MBA programs are longer established, more known/available and have lots of options career-wise. MBA admissions are more competitive though.

What kind of FP&A do you do, and how long have you been there? You may be able to make the hop a little sooner without actually having to pick up a fancy masters degree.

Not OP, but I also had a sub 3.0 GPA and I've always found the best way to deal with it is to own it.

You briefly explain why, what you learned from it, why you are a more mature person now, and why your failures won't be replicated in the future. You need to practice this answer like a politician would so that it sounds logical and makes sense and flows, but don't lie, don't make excuses, and don't try to deflect.

"I fucked up because I was immature and unfocused. Through my time at X company, I've learned responsibility and have had success with X, Y, and Z. I've also taken leadership positions in _____ organization and volunteered in my spare time with ______. I want to attend your program to accomplish A, B, and C and I now know how to succeed in school by focusing on ________."

Then go do it. I made the honorary society for my grades in graduate school.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Most Helpful

Just here to wish everyone luck with the process and encourage those who may be on the bubble to consider getting the MSRE. I spent years trying to network my way from a corporate real estate job (as in, being in charge of leasing and buildouts for a large tenant) to capital markets unsuccessfully. I started the program at NYU Schack and just on the strength of being accepted got hired by a private equity firm to be in acquisitions. After 6 months, I got to move to a prolific shop that is probably the best in its category. None of this would've been possible without getting my MS.

Congrats on the already accepted offers!

I was in a similar situation a few years ago (accepted to Columbia and NYU) and was not sure where to go. Ultimately, I decided for NYU and haven't looked back since. The program might not be as prestige as Columbia, but if you stay active and involved in student life and networking events it can be a true game changer. I moved from Cali to NYU (originally from Europe) and knew absolutely no one in NYC, which basically forced me to network and meet with industry folks in order to advance. I had zero re experience, but was able to secure good internships through professors, students and guest speakers, which ultimately helped me secure my FT REPE offer on visa sponsorship (uphill battle).

Personally, I did a MSRE and found the degree to help me get interviews (and some offers) at pretty much any facet of the industry and for both smaller investment/development shops to massive CRE groups at investment banks. All schools you listed are great and will provide you with good fundamentals. The real "challenge" is to find the program/student body that suits what you're after. As a friendly tip, if you intent to work/be based in NYC, I'd highly recommend NYU as you will come across Schack alumni pretty much anywhere you fare.

Best of luck in choosing!

If you have the chance to go to MIT or Harvard for RE- then the only answer (barring an extraordinary circumstance) is to run don't walk to attend. It will pay national even global lifelong dividends in every way possible. There are strong intercollegiate relations across all schools and those contacts could prove extremely beneficial one day (especially given the growing intersection of tech and real estate that we are seeing).

The same imperative would apply to an elite top 3 mba especially Wharton given its congenial/cooperative real estate community and outsized graduate success.

Aside from this and especially if you are in NYC (the BigRE center of the world) completing NYU's MSRE program with emphasis on the finance and investment designation is the next best decision. If you have the ability to consistently reach out and earnestly build relationships (and work to maintain them over professional life) within this alumni network there is literally no one or nothing outside of your professional reach. I would say this, and the program’s near complete even fervent emphasis on giving graduates very practical/holistic/industry -sought skills upon graduation such as being able to (under direction/review/scrutiny from a working nyc MD/CIO/CDO/CEO in a form and level he expects from underlings) model every investment type/class or novel scenario presented, on the fly, and defend vigorously the substance (assumptions, conclusions, drivers, thesis, etc) not just mastering the superficial modeling style and format (GI/GO).

In terms of the above posting - plenty of students pass on Columbia/Cornell for NYU RE given NYU’s is one of the oldest programs in the country (which does not face major shake-ups on the top administrative/leadership level every few years or gross changes to its basic structure and focus or the program’s curriculum giving an unknown even shaky quantity feel to the degree - see Columbia’s msred history and various ongoing student complaints) and gives many local pre-grad internship opportunities which can be essential in having a well rounded and adequately experienced resume, and full employment lined up when your student loans becomine due. Especially if you are a career switcher with a humanities pedigree seeking to objectively rebrand yourself as a more business/finance/quantitative  -oriented professional by way of their decades old programmatic Finance & Investment Major. A distinction that an architecture-centric (e.g., bricks and beams) msred will not give you. This, and maybe the fact that NYU's expansive, seasoned and generally highly approachable alumni community can give you all the connections you need without ever having to leave the msre program and reach out to the broader university alumni. I have heard more than a few times that Columbia BS/BA and MBA grads may not look at Columbia MSRED as kindred academic spirits and are not chomping at the bit to help them —to be polite about it. Or have a overweighted international alumni base disproportionately returning to mainland China/Korea each year and who wanted a summary vehicle to place Columbia on their resume and don’t have any lifelong nexus to NYC or the larger NY real estate community. By way of example, google: “china msred columbia LinkedIn”. Then remove the search term “china” and run the Google search again. The results are largely: immutable. Many gainfully employed highly experienced NYC real estate professionals seeking a master’s cannot or will not leave their employ for 2+ years and will choose NYU’s program because it gives them the higher -order finance investment skills and the lifelong local social network without sacrificing the most highly -valued item in real estate which is real work experience/career progression (setting aside the other matter of substantial lost income which can equal six figures unto itself). Several are fully or partially sponsored by their firm (ex, Clarion, Blackrock, etc; search LinkedIn for the ms degree plus uninterrupted work histories for similar results). You won’t meet these particular local well -placed high value seasoned professionals in other programs (or have them as fellow alumni) since the format makes it impossible for them to keep their desired jobs and study at the same time. 

The real estate game (PE/IB/Development/Consultancy, etc.) is filled with shoots and ladders, hard walls and black holes (the likes of which you had no idea about until you progressed through a variety of roles). Most won’t start off with a rich beneficent uncle to fund them or a seasoned industry mentor to gingerly guide them which is why a real estate master’s degree or top mba can have exponential value (in avoiding a lot of needless pain, preventing a lot of wasted time and short circuiting what can seem like a interminable journey getting to where you want to go).

Despite this, if you don’t enter any re master’s with the intent to squeeze the (insert explicative!) marrow out of the program (short list: number one, by an order of magnitude, being to intern as much as humanly possible pre-graduation to the point where you have time for little else, networking with classmates and project-mates like it’s a job and learning about their experiences/issues/likes/dislikes in their current re firm and their overall career goals/aspirations, seeking out active re entrepreneurs in your program - there will be quietly many and asking if can you volunteer on some deal aspects on the weekends or in your free time, going to “all” the events inside and outside of class from the topical panels, xyz re summits to competing in and supporting the national case study competitions/events, creating working relationships with professors who are in great part there because they really love real estate and want to help people get ahead in a increasingly tough business- trust in the fact that most of these guys know/respect the struggle, going for coffee chats with people in the industry or alumni and thereafter keeping in touch (pick a monthly goal and stick to it), thinking like an investor from day one while in school and crafting investment theses and bouncing them off colleagues, modeling in your free time, deciphering real deals on the side (the net is filled with PDFs of property level/portfolio level OMs and REIT prospectuses, some of which are like textbooks for the uninitiated and can hip you to new investment strategies, companies/employers/successful career bios and geographic areas with improving or deteriorating fundamentals) and asking yourself does this deal/type/structure/strategy interest me, etc.) then it won’t be nearly (emphasis strongly added) as beneficial in mitigating the above.

In fact, if you are not willing to do the above or at least push on all those cylinders consistently — I would say skip doing a master’s degree in real estate altogether (even such long standing industry gold standards as MIT or the NYU RE program).

These highly -focused degrees are not VIP Passes and require consistent sweat equity from start to finish (and even well after you graduate in the form of keeping connected to your alumni social network and attending their regular industry -wide events, and generally staying involved in the alumni community) in order to maximize their full potential and deliver the desired career results over the long term. Starting any msre/d program with this extremely sobering reality in mind will give you the absolute best chance of success. 

Anybody apply for the 3rd round at Cornell? (March 1st deadline) For those that applied during earlier rounds, about how long did it take for you to hear back?

I'm in at University of Miami MRED+U program with $$ and NYU MSRED. Would be very happy at either, but am also very interested in Cornell...just didn't really consider it until late January

Went to Miami for UG and am pretty impressed by the curriculum and opportunities for networking although it's mostly So. Florida focused. The architecture program is one of the best in the country and it seems that they leverage that reputation to get some big time developers/urban planners/etc. in to speak and network. The advisory board also has some pretty impressive people on it. There are some NY/Miami firms that recruit, but working in development in Miami by itself wouldn't be too bad IMO. Anyways, just thought I'd bring it up because nobody on here ever seems to mention it.

3.3 GPA 310 GRE W/E -- 3 years FP&A at a F500 (non RE) company, 2 years in risk management at a major developer/REIT

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 01 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 24 97.7%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 97.7%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners 18 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 06 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (206) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (148) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”