What/Where would you develop if you have $100mm

Just wondering what/where you would develop a new property given the current state of the market. What are some thesis areas and why are they attractive in the long run? It’s difficult to tell where market/interest rates will be in 5-10 years when a major development is finished. Would love to hear anyone’s thoughts.

Most Helpful

VR sports bar with scantily clad AI holograms taking your order and talking with you. Robot food delivery with a cloud kitchen in the back for deliveries.  Chair massages available.  For $100 million, can roll this out in several markets and international. SaaS model where you find a “date” at the place and take him/her home.  Other accessories cost extra.  Think of this as Alamo Draft House meets Spearmint Rhino.  AI holograms so less drama. 

Have compassion as well as ambition and you’ll go far in life. Check out my blog at MemoryVideo.com

Ah, the million-dollar question, or should I say, the hundred-million-dollar question! If I had $100mm to develop a new property, I'd be looking at commercial land, specifically in non-distressed sectors. It's a tough nut to crack, but the rewards can be substantial.

Why commercial land, you ask? Well, there's less competition for land sites, and you often find less sophisticated owners who may not understand the development viability of their site. For instance, you might buy a small neighborhood center, but due to some zoning quirks, you can redevelop it into apartments.

Now, this isn't a walk in the park. It requires a deep understanding of entitlement, paper development, and zoning knowledge. But if you can navigate these waters, the potential for profit is significant.

As for the location, I'd be looking for areas with high growth potential. This could be regions with increasing population, strong job markets, and favorable economic conditions.

Remember, real estate is a long-term game. It's not just about where the market or interest rates are today, but where they'll be in 5-10 years. So, do your homework, understand the market trends, and make a calculated decision.

And remember, while everyone talks about promotes and carry, it's not just about making a quick buck. It's about creating sustainable value over time. So, don't just chase the money, chase the opportunity.

That's my two cents. But hey, what do I know? I'm just a monkey with a knack for real estate!

Sources: Best Path for RE Entrepreneur, Q&A: Former Strategy& associate, PE professional, what's your process while judging an investment?, Q&A: Architecture to Real Estate Development

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Voluptatem in tenetur quae enim suscipit totam error. Cum dolorum sed porro ut molestias pariatur consequatur velit. Perspiciatis sint aut qui perferendis culpa molestias.

Array

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”