Critique my CV for Spring weeks 2024 as a first year student

Rip it apart, burn it to the ground, seriously.

I´m starting at a Target Uni (warwick) on an econ related subject this September, and I want to secure a PE/VC spring week, (i like it more than IB), however im also open to IB.

I ran out of space in my CV, things I have not included are: Elected House captain in my secondary school, Did a Valuation course from NYU professor Aswath Damoradan (no certificate, prolly should include it anyway), Did not mention Volunteering or unrelated activities i do, for example, weightlifting (found it unnecesary)

Please critique every single flaw you see!

Edit: I plan on adding Econ/finance related socities once I start uni and get to join some of them

image-20230725182348-1

Most Helpful

Would say it needs quite a bit of work tbh, but its understandable given you haven’t even started uni yet. Look at YouTube videos and get your uni to go through it with you. Definitely highlight the valuation course, it’s a decent differentiator.

The big things I would change:

• Lots of grammar mistakes, any company would instantly reject if they find any.
  • Get rid of pointless filler sentences like “interned at the largest law firm as a student”… it’s clearly obvious given you will have the company name and intern above.
  • I personally would seriously question your ‘personal project’. I find it very hard to believe that any secondary school student/1st year Uni student knows anything about derivatives/futures (let alone trading them). Also, the sentence describing it is very general - what does optimising profitability even mean?

Thank you for the feedback! The grammar mistakes, i totally didnt check it, kinda building the structure and content first, but will correct it. 

Yes, I was thinking the valuation could be useful, but i also thought my CV looked chunky, turns out i have quite the whitespace
I know what you refer to by filler sentences, just this particular one you quoted maybe is excluded from that mistake? I am from a latin american country and i dont think Recruiters will know anything about the national biggest law firm, that´s why.

The personal project, i am really interested on hearing opinions, i didn´t know how to describe it, in it´s rawest form, i trade /ES futures and spy options to hedge, idk if i should describe it like that, or more generalized like i did in the CV, 

Thanks for the feedback, looking forward to your opinion specially on the personal project! Thanks!

Completely agree with the above poster. Also a few notes:

• if you haven’t already, check out Afzal Hussein on YouTube, he’s good for UK based internships and has a lot of good videos on CV’s.
  • I’d add in a section on your interests. From my view of the CV I get the image that you only like finance. You’re 18/19 years old, put down some interests outside of finance. Do you play a sport (you mention weightlifting)? Any instruments? It definitely isn’t unnecessary and helps you out.

Thanks for the feedback!

I provided some extra info on the reply to the previous poster,
Will check out the videos, did my best with the WSO template and brainstorming what relevant things i  had in me,
Yes. I do like weightlifting, play the bass, etc, however I didn´t think it would be at all relevant, I previously thought i was running out of space, but i´ve got some comments on too much whitespace, so i´ll probably add some items. Many thanks!

No worries, definitely add the weightlifting and playing the bass. It’s a conversation starter and shows HR and firms that you’re not just a robot. If you want, feel free to dm and I can take a further look down the line.

Quam saepe animi est natus. Qui aut rerum occaecati suscipit reprehenderit maxime aut quidem. Aliquid quasi numquam occaecati aperiam ipsum nihil.

Ad illum aspernatur eum sunt enim. Fugiat quos praesentium exercitationem maiores maiores. Sint labore doloremque exercitationem sed. Eligendi est rerum hic culpa iste. Libero voluptas sint repudiandae sed eveniet dolores.

Ea qui veniam qui dolorum consequatur. Minima voluptatibus est maiores officia ducimus. Minima minima mollitia et in nihil ipsa. Nam qui provident porro itaque. Laboriosam molestiae dolores ea dolores est in dolore.

Similique sint quo in laboriosam. Praesentium et minima vel accusamus magni. Quia est totam exercitationem officiis rerum sit odio aut. Modi repudiandae deleniti sint deleniti et corporis sunt. Aut tempore autem impedit iusto.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”