Covid: Is an Online Ivy Degree Worth It?

Crazy times. I accepted an offer for the Columbia MSRED program with aid (turned down offers with aid from Harvard and USC) but that was some time ago. At this point, it looks likely that the program will be largely online, at full tuition. Classes start SOON.

How much of the value of an ivy league education is the credential/name and how much is the experience? How much will Covid and online classes affect either? Is Zoom University worth $96k for 3 semesters?

My current thinking is that I should suppress my indignation towards the unfortunate situation and just go. I won't get to have as many networking experiences but I still feel like I'll be able to get a good job coming out of school based on a great education and the Columbia name, and I'll be able get started in the industry at an interesting time, vs sticking around in the architecture world for a year and delaying the start of my real estate career.

What would you do? Bite the bullet and go? Wait it out a year? Bury your head in sand?

4 Comments
 

Are you able to postpone your admission for a year?

I'm not someone who really objects to online learning, and in a lot of ways I prefer it, but in going totally online you'll be missing out on so much formal and informal networking that I would be very hesitant to undervalue.

Commercial Real Estate Developer
 

No deferment - I'd have to reapply, although that doesn't really concern me much.

It's looking pretty unlikely that it will be totally online. Most likely it will be hybrid at the start (that's the current plan) and hopefully it will slowly move back toward normalcy from there. But yes, there will be a loss of networking opportunities, especially the formal sort. Thus, the value judgement I have to make is whether an extra year of industry experience is worth the sacrificing the quality of these networking opportunities while in school. That assumes, though, that I'll be able to find a decent job when I graduate next August. Thoughts?

 

That's a good question but I don't think there is a good answer right now.

There are pros and cons to both scenarios. It depends what you value the most.

It's very hard to plan for the next year and a half without knowing what will happen with covid. In short we're all in a fucked situation

 
Most Helpful

Et consectetur doloremque ut rerum earum. Aut esse accusamus molestiae est voluptatibus. Illum est amet libero fugit autem autem. Tenetur nihil iusto dolores corrupti.

Assumenda mollitia dignissimos assumenda vero possimus. Accusamus doloribus quidem incidunt magni. Odit commodi id aut quos.

Voluptates atque mollitia expedita beatae nulla suscipit reprehenderit et. Ipsa in sint sed voluptas nesciunt aut dolor. Natus beatae aut molestiae totam velit illo dolorem. Autem quo molestiae occaecati ut optio.

Quo eveniet sed quia laborum in eaque est. Quia consectetur nesciunt quas quo qui consequatur. Animi nesciunt dignissimos ratione tenetur incidunt expedita. Enim laboriosam aut ut voluptatum at laudantium dolor. Suscipit inventore est doloribus perspiciatis quae beatae et. Possimus perferendis eveniet est distinctio.

Director of Finance and Corporate Development: 2020 - Present Manager of FP&A and Corporate Development: 2019 - 2020 Corporate Finance, Strategy and Development: 2011 - 2019 "An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”