HEC MIM or ESADE MIF + CEMS MIM, September 2020

Hi everyone,

I am currently deciding whether I should attend HEC's Grande Ecole program in international management or ESADE's double degree in finance + CEMS MIM in fall 2020. Before getting into the details of the situation, I should note that my interests lie in IB (thinking of either ECM or M&A atm) and job market-wise I do not really have any preference atm (London would be great but I am open to/interested in basically any European market as long as I have real chances to get in any good bank, thinking tier 1, tier 2 or elite boutiques). Fyi, I do not know any french or spanish, but considering I am italian I am confident that I would be able to learn spanish pretty quickly if needed (in ESADE's case ofc).

So, I already know that HEC is generally more prestigious and is an overall better business school than ESADE (especially if I would like to work in LDN), however, my HEC interviewer told me that in order to proceed with the specialization in international finance I would need to get high grades in the quantitative courses during the first year of the program. I would therefore like to know how hard is it to get into the specialization in international finance from HEC's MIM, considering that my quantitative skills are probably average. The worst case scenario would be that I end up attending HEC and do not manage to take a finance specialization because my grades are too low.

Is it worth the risk with HEC's MIM, or should I take the safe route with ESADE where I surely can study what I am passionate about and what is most relevant for the job I want to have? Any opinion and follow-up question is very much appreciated, so please feel free to comment. Thank you to anyone who takes their time to help me out.

Most Helpful

HEC Grande Ecole Student here. Much like you, I was interested in the Finance track (Majeure Finance / MiF) for the second year.

The admission process to the MiF is done on a case-by-case basis, but usually you would need to be in the top 20% (on average) for Financial Economics, Financial Markets and Corporate Finance.

The Majeure Finance is a very interesting track with unique opportunities, but it is also incredibly rigorous, so quite a few willingly chose not to apply in favour of the slightly less rigorous Financial Economics track.

In a way this internal competition for the Majeure Finance also checks your competitiveness for future IB/PE recruitment.

I would also recommend the HEC Grande Ecole programme for the gap year feature, which would allow you to get IB experience through off-cycle internships (relevant gap-year internships may also support your MiF application).

Hope it helps (at least somewhat) & good luck!

Also HEC student here - would mostly agree with the above.

with regards to getting into MiF in year 2 - from my experience most people who are serious about it from the start manage to get sufficient results to get in in year 2, especially if you already studied business in bachelors. I don't remember any Italian (mostly Bocconi bachelors anyways) who did not manage to get into MiF despite wanting to.

You should definitely also consider doing the gap year, has given some people the opportunity to create quite great CVs and to further decide on what they wanted to do later on more specifically. When I joined the MiM I also thought I would be doing MIF in the second year, but since I did not need it anymore after the gap year (FT offer and preferred path already fixed) I was able to choose a more chill program with an additional international perspective. That's also what many others did.

It’s definitely worth a risk! Without trying you can’t tell was it good or bad experience. It’s better to do and regent then regret because you didn’t do that. Do what you like, improve yourself, step out of your comfort zone. Never give up. And here’s your lucky key to a dream job.

https://plagiarismfreeessay.com

Ut doloremque quis facilis. Eligendi autem pariatur dolores veritatis officiis voluptate. Modi mollitia suscipit qui amet. Repellat necessitatibus sed nesciunt est ratione.

In non voluptas adipisci fugit sint. Adipisci et explicabo eum eius ea aut aut. Tenetur quis voluptas quo dolores eos aut. Ex ipsum ut eum. Reiciendis a totam itaque.

Illo provident enim quod qui fugiat nostrum. Quos dolores porro quis unde. Et alias quia accusamus quos amet. Consequatur ut illo iusto totam nobis illo natus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”