Should I Bother With A 401K?

Just finished reviewing my benefits package at the firm. My company offers a 25% match on the first 6%, but only after 12 months of continuous work. I'm prudent and conservative with spending, and I maintain a strict budget with my income. I'm also fairly knowledgeable about markets, knowledgeable enough to feel comfortable investing through my Scottrade Account. Therefore, is there any benefit in giving money to Fidelity Retirement now, when Scottrade's fees and Vanguard's mutual funds are cheaper?

22 Comments
 

That's a pretty crappy policy, but you should definitely still take advantage of it. If you prefer your personal account just put 6% in your 401(k) and put it in buy and hold investments. Then save the rest in your personal account or an IRA.

There is no reason to pass on the free money from your firm.

twitter: @CorpFin_Guy
 

If it were me, I'd probably keep the money. But that's because I'm trying to save up and move to Asia in a couple years. (I hear you get taxed heavily if you cash out the 401K early, so I wouldn't get that 25% match after cashing it out, I'm guessing.) If you intend to just work for the rest of your life and don't see yourself needing a lump of cash for the next few years, I'd say take the free money (25% is better than nothing).

 

Contribute to the 401k (roth if you can) up to the max that they contribute. Then max out your roth IRA if you qualify based on income limitations. People always say to defer taxes as long as possible but I would rather pay the tax on contributing to a roth now and have that money come out tax free later. I don't see taxes being low when we are old enough to retire.

 

I mean, it seems as though it will be about $250/yr in "free money". Can't see why you wouldn't at least contribute the maximum matched amount.

 
BobbIt sucks when your 401k vests in 3 years and you leave the firm after 2 years and 11 months.
Yes, but you never accrue that. You don't count your chickens before they hatch; you don't count your money before it vests.

I was lucky that my firm vested 25% per year over four years. Had I stayed nine more weeks, I would have walked away with a lot more money, but I'm happy for what I did walk away with.

For the record, I love saving money more than Brady loves getting an MBA, more than blastoise loves trolling people with math problems.

 
IlliniProgrammer
BobbIt sucks when your 401k vests in 3 years and you leave the firm after 2 years and 11 months.
Yes, but you never accrue that. You don't count your chickens before they hatch; you don't count your money before it vests.

I was lucky that my firm vested 25% per year over four years. Had I stayed nine more weeks, I would have walked away with a lot more money, but I'm happy for what I did walk away with.

For the record, I love saving money more than Brady loves getting an MBA, more than blastoise loves trolling people with math problems.

Why not save money AND make more money? I don't get it. Or is this a function of grad school start date / some other mitigating factor?
Get busy living
 

IMHO I would hold off to the 12 month mark. Obviously you never pass up the "free money" but that doesn’t kick in until then. At that point you should contribute enough to get the match. But if you're good at saving like you said there isn't a huge incentive to pour money into the 401k without the match. It all depends on your need for the money. Saving for retirement is smart and a 401k is a good play but you can't really touch that money until retirement ago without penalty. I think saving on your own until then just gives you more flexibility.

"Because it's not worth winning if you can't win big!" - Coach Reilly
 

dabanobo:

sorry for not being clear you are correct. what i meant by saying "can't really" is that your money is not as easily available as other savings might be if you need them in the short term. Yes there are ways to withdraw before retirement age like you mentioned.

"Because it's not worth winning if you can't win big!" - Coach Reilly
 

r share mutual funds are cheaper than retail brokerage, also creditors cannot access the funds. only in the case of a divorce can they be distributed against your will (ok, if you're 70 1/2 there are required minimum distributions). also it reduces your taxable income and as mentioned, you have hardship withdrawals and loans that MAY BE ALLOWED. NOT ALL EMPLOYERS OFFER THESE so dabanobo you need to be careful acting like every defined contribution plan is the same.

If the glove don't fit, you must acquit!
 
WalMartShopperr share mutual funds are cheaper than retail brokerage, also creditors cannot access the funds. only in the case of a divorce can they be distributed against your will (ok, if you're 70 1/2 there are required minimum distributions). also it reduces your taxable income and as mentioned, you have hardship withdrawals and loans that MAY BE ALLOWED. NOT ALL EMPLOYERS OFFER THESE so dabanobo you need to be careful acting like every defined contribution plan is the same.

Obviously they're not all the same. We're talking about the 10% extra tax for early distribution -- from the IRS -- not the 401K provider (and definitely not your employer).

 
Best Response
dabanobo
WalMartShopperr share mutual funds are cheaper than retail brokerage, also creditors cannot access the funds. only in the case of a divorce can they be distributed against your will (ok, if you're 70 1/2 there are required minimum distributions). also it reduces your taxable income and as mentioned, you have hardship withdrawals and loans that MAY BE ALLOWED. NOT ALL EMPLOYERS OFFER THESE so dabanobo you need to be careful acting like every defined contribution plan is the same.

Obviously they're not all the same. We're talking about the 10% extra tax for early distribution -- from the IRS -- not the 401K provider (and definitely not your employer).

I'm saying not all plans even allow for early distributions and/or loans. These are set by the employer, not the IRS. The IRS allows these but it's the employer's choice to implement them. The only early distribution that's really guaranteed regardless is if you leave employment and withdrawal.

If the glove don't fit, you must acquit!
 

Yes and yes. Forced savings and an effective raise. Do it!!!

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do." - Bob Dylan
 

Nemo provident amet quos et dolorem id. Neque fugit facilis et quod. Voluptas numquam dolorem voluptatem. Enim sunt consequuntur ex optio aut quo cupiditate aut. Perferendis quidem perspiciatis et alias sit. Recusandae impedit officia totam quo et vero.

Cupiditate non iure quia voluptatem consectetur sit. Atque sit sit sequi eum inventore impedit et temporibus. Excepturi ea debitis et cupiditate sit. Fugit qui voluptates officia id reiciendis. Dignissimos ea dolorem eligendi distinctio. Labore qui voluptatum ut possimus.

Quaerat provident optio velit enim mollitia recusandae provident. Facere aut doloribus dolores quas consequatur assumenda ut. Vitae at placeat ducimus eius ea.

Quidem possimus fugiat blanditiis modi ipsum et. Quia officiis sunt eveniet sed atque laboriosam necessitatibus. Minus saepe reprehenderit ad possimus. Eum est suscipit sed neque. Reprehenderit quia perspiciatis accusantium reiciendis quibusdam ut quis. Est ea ut illo ipsa. Nostrum rerum dolores labore atque facere.

 

Quae repellat perferendis sequi dolor quam sint. Rerum molestiae incidunt et modi. Molestias accusamus distinctio necessitatibus ut nobis expedita fuga ducimus. Nam in esse distinctio dolorum velit ex. Non iste dicta velit voluptatem saepe harum.

Et dignissimos saepe nostrum nihil. Maxime vel enim consequatur. Sit sit eaque voluptas. Et ducimus iusto sit et.

Sunt magni rerum provident eos sapiente aut. Recusandae consequatur sunt exercitationem laborum. Rerum sunt dolorum quasi sit quibusdam dolores. Eum voluptas eum corporis sed rem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (56) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
3
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
4
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
5
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
6
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
7
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
8
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
9
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
10
numi's picture
numi
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”