Should I Bother With A 401K?

Just finished reviewing my benefits package at the firm. My company offers a 25% match on the first 6%, but only after 12 months of continuous work. I'm prudent and conservative with spending, and I maintain a strict budget with my income. I'm also fairly knowledgeable about markets, knowledgeable enough to feel comfortable investing through my Scottrade Account. Therefore, is there any benefit in giving money to Fidelity Retirement now, when Scottrade's fees and Vanguard's mutual funds are cheaper?

That's a pretty crappy policy, but you should definitely still take advantage of it. If you prefer your personal account just put 6% in your 401(k) and put it in buy and hold investments. Then save the rest in your personal account or an IRA.

There is no reason to pass on the free money from your firm.

twitter: @CorpFin_Guy

If it were me, I'd probably keep the money. But that's because I'm trying to save up and move to Asia in a couple years. (I hear you get taxed heavily if you cash out the 401K early, so I wouldn't get that 25% match after cashing it out, I'm guessing.) If you intend to just work for the rest of your life and don't see yourself needing a lump of cash for the next few years, I'd say take the free money (25% is better than nothing).

I'll definitely take the free money. However, my firm allows us to change our 401K payment schedule at any time. Therefore, I was considering putting in the first payment after 12 months, thus gaining the 25 cents on the dollar. The debate is more or less if I should contribute the first 12 months on the job, as there is no match yet. Thanks for the responses.

Contribute to the 401k (roth if you can) up to the max that they contribute. Then max out your roth IRA if you qualify based on income limitations. People always say to defer taxes as long as possible but I would rather pay the tax on contributing to a roth now and have that money come out tax free later. I don't see taxes being low when we are old enough to retire.

Bobb:
It sucks when your 401k vests in 3 years and you leave the firm after 2 years and 11 months.
Yes, but you never accrue that. You don't count your chickens before they hatch; you don't count your money before it vests.

I was lucky that my firm vested 25% per year over four years. Had I stayed nine more weeks, I would have walked away with a lot more money, but I'm happy for what I did walk away with.

For the record, I love saving money more than Brady loves getting an MBA, more than blastoise loves trolling people with math problems.

IlliniProgrammer:
Bobb:
It sucks when your 401k vests in 3 years and you leave the firm after 2 years and 11 months.
Yes, but you never accrue that. You don't count your chickens before they hatch; you don't count your money before it vests.

I was lucky that my firm vested 25% per year over four years. Had I stayed nine more weeks, I would have walked away with a lot more money, but I'm happy for what I did walk away with.

For the record, I love saving money more than Brady loves getting an MBA, more than blastoise loves trolling people with math problems.

Why not save money AND make more money? I don't get it. Or is this a function of grad school start date / some other mitigating factor?
Get busy living

IMHO I would hold off to the 12 month mark. Obviously you never pass up the "free money" but that doesn’t kick in until then. At that point you should contribute enough to get the match. But if you're good at saving like you said there isn't a huge incentive to pour money into the 401k without the match. It all depends on your need for the money. Saving for retirement is smart and a 401k is a good play but you can't really touch that money until retirement ago without penalty. I think saving on your own until then just gives you more flexibility.

"Because it's not worth winning if you can't win big!" - Coach Reilly

dabanobo:

sorry for not being clear you are correct. what i meant by saying "can't really" is that your money is not as easily available as other savings might be if you need them in the short term. Yes there are ways to withdraw before retirement age like you mentioned.

"Because it's not worth winning if you can't win big!" - Coach Reilly

r share mutual funds are cheaper than retail brokerage, also creditors cannot access the funds. only in the case of a divorce can they be distributed against your will (ok, if you're 70 1/2 there are required minimum distributions). also it reduces your taxable income and as mentioned, you have hardship withdrawals and loans that MAY BE ALLOWED. NOT ALL EMPLOYERS OFFER THESE so dabanobo you need to be careful acting like every defined contribution plan is the same.

If the glove don't fit, you must acquit!

WalMartShopper:
r share mutual funds are cheaper than retail brokerage, also creditors cannot access the funds. only in the case of a divorce can they be distributed against your will (ok, if you're 70 1/2 there are required minimum distributions). also it reduces your taxable income and as mentioned, you have hardship withdrawals and loans that MAY BE ALLOWED. NOT ALL EMPLOYERS OFFER THESE so dabanobo you need to be careful acting like every defined contribution plan is the same.

Obviously they're not all the same. We're talking about the 10% extra tax for early distribution -- from the IRS -- not the 401K provider (and definitely not your employer).

Best Response
dabanobo:
WalMartShopper:

Obviously they're not all the same. We're talking about the 10% extra tax for early distribution -- from the IRS -- not the 401K provider (and definitely not your employer).

I'm saying not all plans even allow for early distributions and/or loans. These are set by the employer, not the IRS. The IRS allows these but it's the employer's choice to implement them. The only early distribution that's really guaranteed regardless is if you leave employment and withdrawal.

If the glove don't fit, you must acquit!

Yes and yes. Forced savings and an effective raise. Do it!!!

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do." - Bob Dylan

Blanditiis ea aut hic quos. Et veritatis expedita molestiae quo sed sequi. Optio cupiditate consequuntur libero rerum cum ullam aliquam.

Nesciunt iure voluptatem ipsa placeat. Maxime dicta veniam quia et deserunt dolorum mollitia. Sequi doloremque ut velit ipsa harum. Nihil blanditiis amet accusamus amet nobis. Ad magnam officia aut quia eum optio. Minus illum aut nesciunt tempora.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”