101 on applying to Harvard's MBA?

A friend of mine recently decided to add Harvard's MBA on his resume. In an effort to help him, can someone please direct me to a website or to someone that can guide him step by step in the process?

IlliniProgrammer:

No understand your speaky.

Can you please tell us if someone is trying to figure out how to change their resume to reflect the fact that they now have a Harvard MBA, or is someone thinking about applying for a Harvard MBA?

In other words, has this person been admitted? Or are they applying.

Hey,

When I said he decided to add Harvard's MBA on his resume, I meant to say, he's thinking about applying for a Harvard's MBA.

EDIT: Also, the title of the thread is ''101 on applying to Harvard's MBA?''. :)

Yes but isn't that a bit like saying that a friend has decided to add being US President to his résumé? Does he have to get elected forst or is he a former POTUS? You're not making it easier to understand you.

Look, optimizing your odds of admission at HBS requires a good 18-30 months of planning. Find some interesting activities and start lining up references. Start preparing for the GMAT.

Getting into HBS is like getting into any other MBA program. It's just a little bit tougher.

IlliniProgrammer:

Yes but isn't that a bit like saying that a friend has decided to add being US President to his résumé? Does he have to get elected forst or is he a former POTUS? You're not making it easier to understand you.

Look, optimizing your odds of admission at HBS requires a good 18-30 months of planning. Find some interesting activities and start lining up references. Start preparing for the GMAT.

Getting into HBS is like getting into any other MBA program. It's just a little bit tougher.

Thank you so much for the reply (and sorry for not being more precise in my question)!

This is the kind of information he needs. For example, in terms of references, how many does he need?

Are you aware of any reliable person or organization that have a successful track record in helping candidates navigate this whole process?

Seriously? I'd start by looking at the application requirements on the university's website. For everything else, please talk to the HBS guru.

I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars, buddy. A player. Or nothing. See my Blog & AMA

Best Response

Typically most graduate schools and most MBA programs (I'm not sure for HBS but this is generally true) require three references. Ideally at least 1-2 should be coworkers or managers, or former coworkers and managers. It is more important that they be spectacular than high-ranking. A direct manager is often a better reference, but B-schools understand that it can be difficult/awkward to get this.

For HBS, you want to get a 760 on the GMAT. You want to be at the equivalent of a front office role at a GS/MS/JPM or at a M/B/B. You want to have some hobbies that would get people really excited. I am all for volunteering and leading in tutoring organizations, but everyone else is doing that and they are going to admit the president of your org before they admit you. I can't give you ideas on this- you just have to find something that sounds cool and nobody else is doing.

IlliniProgrammer:

Typically most graduate schools and most MBA programs (I'm not sure for HBS but this is *generally* true) require three references. Ideally at least 1-2 should be coworkers or managers, or former coworkers and managers. It is more important that they be spectacular than high-ranking. A direct manager is often a better reference, but B-schools understand that it can be difficult/awkward to get this.

For HBS, you want to get a 760 on the GMAT. You want to be at the equivalent of a front office role at a GS/MS/JPM or at a M/B/B. You want to have some hobbies that would get people really excited. I am all for volunteering and leading in tutoring organizations, but everyone else is doing that and they are going to admit the president of your org before they admit you. I can't give you ideas on this- you just have to find something that sounds cool and nobody else is doing.

He's currently working for one of the UN organizations. Not sure how that will compare to GS/MS/JPM.

Thank you so much for your input.

Hi Illini programmer, Only Stanford GSB requires 3 recommendations (two who have worked with the candidate in a supervisory position and one peer) Harvard requires 2 only. All this stuff is available on the school's website. I think the OP is not getting much traction on this because there's a lot on WSO by doing a search, and it's all over the internet, not just with the guys who call themselves gurus.

I don't agree that you need to be from a front office role at a big finance or consulting firm. Sorry if I've been reading too much Daniel Kahneman, but that's reverse engineering a story out of the data. But we can debate this offline my friend

Betsy Massar Come see me at my Q&A thread http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/b-school-qa-w-betsy-massar-of-master-admissions Ask away!

IlliniProgrammer:

That may very well do it. Just a guess here, but the UN may play better at HBS, Columbia, and maybe Wharton than at some of the other MBA business schools ">M7 schools.

I'm not trying to be a drag here, but do you know of anyone or any organization that has this type of information already packaged and ready to go?

Again, thank you.

Monkeyy-Slapperr:
IlliniProgrammer:

That may very well do it. Just a guess here, but the UN may play better at HBS, Columbia, and maybe Wharton than at some of the other MBA business schools ">M7 schools.

I'm not trying to be a drag here, but do you know of anyone or any organization that has this type of information already packaged and ready to go?

Again, thank you.

Hmm. You can try the lady who posted above me. As evidenced by the post, she knows her stuff.

There are several MBA admissions consultants who post on WSO, and they are probably the best people to go to at some point. There is also PoetsAndQuants.com, which is basically a blog/website for MBA admissions.

Optio et molestiae nihil cumque sit quia autem. Sit rem facere magnam sint occaecati consequatur inventore. Officiis labore omnis assumenda eum hic voluptate quia. Aut deleniti velit et libero impedit. Accusamus aut odit aut quaerat maiores.

A natus sit voluptas aut quo porro. Praesentium perferendis rerum inventore possimus et quia hic. Hic rerum aut neque commodi.

Betsy Massar Come see me at my Q&A thread http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/b-school-qa-w-betsy-massar-of-master-admissions Ask away!

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”