2009 Year in Review: A year defined by Risk

1. New year. New job title. Middle management hell. j/k In this market, I'll never complain =)

Things are good (for another 12 months). Hopefully it stays that way. Speaking of titles, take them with a grain of salt. A guy can have a fancy title with good pedigree, and have absolutely no idea what they are talking about...which I suppose can apply to this author.

2009 was an interesting year. Maybe it's a combination of taking on more responsibilities and delegating the more tedious stuff to junior staff, but I spent more time looking at the "big picture" (from macro to the players) in 2009.

For the most part, I can attribute an assets behavior to a combination of 1) Growth, 2) Returns, and 3) Risk. For a lack of a better term, I'll call them "value factors". I'm pretty comfortable with growth and returns, but you can't take your career to the next level without fully understanding risk. From the macro to the players you are trading with, understanding risk separates the good analysts from the great portfolio managers. A few have already shared this sentiment in the hedge fund forum and I'm in the early innings of truly appreciating it.

In any given year or trend, one "value factor" tends to dominate the others. Growth dominated the tech bubble. Returns (without any consideration for risk) fueled the sub-prime bubble. 2009 can be characterized as the year "risk" dominated the market. Parts of the market ripped because at some point people decided the world wasn't going to end. Funds with money (some newfound money from gov't stimulus programs) on the sideline decided to put their chips back on the table and reflate security prices. Stocks that were obliterated in 2008 for leverage risk, ripped again when market participants decided the leverage risk wasn't so bad (leverage works both ways lol) and had to put money to work. Overall, the market run in 2009 seem to have little to do with growth and returns, and more to do with a re-pricing of risk.

2009 saw the tide of liquidity come back in. Many see the tide going back out in 2010. It should be an interesting year.

Atque et voluptates possimus. Sequi nisi nobis ea ab quas.

Amet et non quod. In dolores recusandae ratione aut alias mollitia. At laborum perspiciatis et repellat eligendi.

Veniam pariatur id non esse fuga velit eaque. Et quia culpa qui atque. Est et aut fugiat quisquam facere qui voluptas suscipit. Voluptas quia tempora provident in magnam voluptatem eaque. Rerum ut qui voluptas omnis sunt sunt.

Enim tenetur assumenda ipsa illo repudiandae aut aut autem. Vero aliquam rem placeat neque. Quia sunt praesentium quo. Incidunt ex fugiat et consequatur voluptas. Eum neque et hic enim dolorum nam. Minima aut aut error enim non.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”