Comments (35)

Feb 16, 2018

Ask firm A to let you go 2 weeks early. If that doesn't work, go to firm B. Full time > intern. And it's not like a huge drop in prestige and you can prob still get into a BB after a year of working for MM.

    • 2
Feb 28, 2018

.

Feb 16, 2018

Accept both, get full time BB offer, renege on Firm B.

    • 2
Feb 28, 2018

.

Best Response
Feb 17, 2018

That's the best bet- just schedule a two week "family vacation/ emergency overseas" that your family had planned suddenly at firm A towards the end of the internship and go for firm B.

    • 5
Learn More

Side-by-side comparison of top modeling training courses + exclusive discount through WSO here.

Feb 27, 2018
finbrah:

Accept both, get full time BB offer, renege on Firm B.

This sounds like what you want when cutting through the bullshit. You started this, now finish it.

Feb 18, 2018

To the OP and everyone else who has opined, how about this: keep your word. Your reputation matters and it's a small world out there, you will run into these people again in your career.

Who did you commit to first? It sounds like it was Firm A. If that's the case, then you need to do their internship, complete the whole thing and do it to the best of your ability. The only "leverage" you should be doing here is being honest with Firm B and letting them know that (1) you made a commitment to A (2) you want to keep your word and (3) you would like to work for them but unless they make a 2 week exception, you just can't do it.

    • 3
    • 5
Feb 28, 2018

.

Feb 18, 2018
Owen223:

Assuming I decide to accept the offer from Firm B, which of the below two alternatives is "least bad":

1) Reneg on Firm A (dont even start the internship) ?
2) Start the internship at Firm A, but leave 2 weeks before the end ?

Did you even read what I wrote???? HONOR YOUR COMMITMENTS!

If you said "yes" to Firm A first then you need to complete that internship, the whole thing, and to the best of your ability. Period.

Your word matters. If you continue the line of thinking that you present in your posts then this will come back to you in some way in the future. Maybe not with these specific companies, but if you lack conviction in your words then it will cost you in the long run.

    • 2
Feb 18, 2018

Didn't read.
13 sb.

LOSER

    • 5
Feb 28, 2018

.

Learn More

Side-by-side comparison of top modeling training courses + exclusive discount through WSO here.

Feb 19, 2018

I'm confused here; why were you applying for an internship during your senior year?

A full-time job in hand is worth two internships in the bush. Tell (don't ask, tell) the internship firm that you will have to end 2 weeks early. If they say that is not acceptable...then I think you should reneg and take the MM offer.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." --Abraham Lincoln

    • 2
Feb 28, 2018

.

    • 1
Feb 19, 2018

No problem, and I wasn't implying any judgement in my question, I just didn't know that these banks offered internships for grads.

Your situation seems really tricky, but I still hold my opinion

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." --Abraham Lincoln

Feb 27, 2018

OKComputer is wrong. A FT job is not always worth two internships. That is a total generalization. Is the 40% return offer rate accurate? How reputable is the MM? (WSF, PJ, HL, Stifel)If one of those or similar, accept the FT offer if there is no other compromise. If the MM is significantly smaller than these, you're better off going through with the BB internship.

Feb 19, 2018

Says the intern...

And I'm no seasoned veteran either , but it doesn't take long to see the value of a guaranteed Full Time job vs an internship.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." --Abraham Lincoln

Feb 28, 2018

/

Feb 21, 2018

What about asking to start at Firm B 1 week later instead of 2? You would only have to cut BB short by 1 week instead of 2.

    • 1
Feb 28, 2018

.

    • 1
Feb 28, 2018

.

    • 1
Feb 23, 2018

Sounds like you want that BB FT, if you really believe in yourself get rid of that MM safety net and go kill it this summer at firm A. If firm A is willing to give you a SA after you graduate they clearly are looking to bring someone on FT.

    • 1
Feb 28, 2018

.

Feb 26, 2018

May I ask how did you get the SA offer for 2018? When did you interview?

Feb 27, 2018

So what are you going to do if you get the FT offer at Firm A? Hit up Firm B a week before your start date and say you won't be joining their analyst class? Why would Firm B ever agree to this? You are basically saying "hey wait for me, if I don't like this BB sure I'll come work for you guys! I'll let you know a few days before my start date!!" ...ridiculous.

Honor your commitment and figure it out from there.

    • 1
Feb 27, 2018

OP, this is a pretty specific situation you have outlined here. You are already starting off on the wrong foot with Firm B by essentially telling them in not so any words that you'd rather bang the homecoming queen (Firm A) than the semi-hit normal girl (Firm B) on prom night.

By going to WSO you are making matters a bit worse by crowd sourcing ways to game the system (while easily identifying you) which shows further apprehension to join them. I'm not a betting man but I would wager here that someone at firm b is reading this and is having seconds thoughts about you.

If I were you, I would tread lightly sir...

    • 1
Feb 27, 2018

This really just comes down to your risk tolerance. Clearly, you want to work for Firm A. You're worried about taking a chance because of your perceived probability of getting a return offer. You almost surely won't get a return offer if you leave the internship early. You've already committed to Firm A. Reneging isn't a great option. You either risk it and go for what you really want, or you settle.

While the ability to compromise is the hallmark of nobility, compromising with yourself is more aptly characterized as 'settling'.The world is full of people who settle. No one remembers their names.

I'd suggest you reject the FT MM offer and go for the BB SA position. It's clearly what you want anyway. You don't want to look back and wonder what might have been. You sound like you'll surely do that if you take the MM offer. If you take the SA offer, however, perhaps you save yourself from that fate.

That said, your neuroses and lack of an ability to make a decision on your own lead me to believe that you have little risk tolerance, in which case, you might be better off taking the MM offer. Like I said, it just comes down to your risk tolerance.

    • 2
Feb 27, 2018

Why don't you ask Firm A how likely you are to get a FT offer?

Feb 27, 2018

do both bro

Feb 16, 2018
Comment
Feb 27, 2018
Comment