36 Comments
 

That’s the best bet- just schedule a two week “family vacation/ emergency overseas” that your family had planned suddenly at firm A towards the end of the internship and go for firm B.

26 Broadway where's your sense of humor?
 
Controversial

To the OP and everyone else who has opined, how about this: keep your word. Your reputation matters and it's a small world out there, you will run into these people again in your career.

Who did you commit to first? It sounds like it was Firm A. If that's the case, then you need to do their internship, complete the whole thing and do it to the best of your ability. The only "leverage" you should be doing here is being honest with Firm B and letting them know that (1) you made a commitment to A (2) you want to keep your word and (3) you would like to work for them but unless they make a 2 week exception, you just can't do it.

 
"Owen223" Assuming I decide to accept the offer from Firm B, which of the below two alternatives is "least bad":

1) Reneg on Firm A (dont even start the internship) ? 2) Start the internship at Firm A, but leave 2 weeks before the end ?

Did you even read what I wrote???? HONOR YOUR COMMITMENTS!

If you said "yes" to Firm A first then you need to complete that internship, the whole thing, and to the best of your ability. Period.

Your word matters. If you continue the line of thinking that you present in your posts then this will come back to you in some way in the future. Maybe not with these specific companies, but if you lack conviction in your words then it will cost you in the long run.

 

I'm confused here; why were you applying for an internship during your senior year?

A full-time job in hand is worth two internships in the bush. Tell (don't ask, tell) the internship firm that you will have to end 2 weeks early. If they say that is not acceptable...then I think you should reneg and take the MM offer.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." --Abraham Lincoln
 

No problem, and I wasn't implying any judgement in my question, I just didn't know that these banks offered internships for grads.

Your situation seems really tricky, but I still hold my opinion

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." --Abraham Lincoln
 

OKComputer is wrong. A FT job is not always worth two internships. That is a total generalization. Is the 40% return offer rate accurate? How reputable is the MM? (WSF, PJ, HL, Stifel)If one of those or similar, accept the FT offer if there is no other compromise. If the MM is significantly smaller than these, you're better off going through with the BB internship.

 

Says the intern...

And I'm no seasoned veteran either , but it doesn't take long to see the value of a guaranteed Full Time job vs an internship.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." --Abraham Lincoln
 

What about asking to start at Firm B 1 week later instead of 2? You would only have to cut BB short by 1 week instead of 2.

 

So what are you going to do if you get the FT offer at Firm A? Hit up Firm B a week before your start date and say you won't be joining their analyst class? Why would Firm B ever agree to this? You are basically saying "hey wait for me, if I don't like this BB sure I'll come work for you guys! I'll let you know a few days before my start date!!" ...ridiculous.

Honor your commitment and figure it out from there.

 

OP, this is a pretty specific situation you have outlined here. You are already starting off on the wrong foot with Firm B by essentially telling them in not so any words that you'd rather bang the homecoming queen (Firm A) than the semi-hit normal girl (Firm B) on prom night.

By going to WSO you are making matters a bit worse by crowd sourcing ways to game the system (while easily identifying you) which shows further apprehension to join them. I'm not a betting man but I would wager here that someone at firm b is reading this and is having seconds thoughts about you.

If I were you, I would tread lightly sir...

 
Best Response

This really just comes down to your risk tolerance. Clearly, you want to work for Firm A. You're worried about taking a chance because of your perceived probability of getting a return offer. You almost surely won't get a return offer if you leave the internship early. You've already committed to Firm A. Reneging isn't a great option. You either risk it and go for what you really want, or you settle.

While the ability to compromise is the hallmark of nobility, compromising with yourself is more aptly characterized as 'settling'.The world is full of people who settle. No one remembers their names.

I'd suggest you reject the FT MM offer and go for the BB SA position. It's clearly what you want anyway. You don't want to look back and wonder what might have been. You sound like you'll surely do that if you take the MM offer. If you take the SA offer, however, perhaps you save yourself from that fate.

That said, your neuroses and lack of an ability to make a decision on your own lead me to believe that you have little risk tolerance, in which case, you might be better off taking the MM offer. Like I said, it just comes down to your risk tolerance.

 

Ad enim et esse consectetur quia atque provident. Aut asperiores consequatur labore vel. Aut quia in optio iste esse. Iusto recusandae alias aut placeat.

Alias tempore similique sequi sapiente fugiat aliquid voluptates. Necessitatibus aut ut ut iure eveniet velit in.

Quis omnis dolor sit omnis sed ut. Dolores autem ad quam quidem. Expedita voluptas rem aspernatur hic ut ut. Voluptas ipsum autem quibusdam et.

 

Non harum voluptate perspiciatis veniam sunt at nobis. Nihil illum similique mollitia ut sint asperiores harum occaecati. Temporibus sed quasi alias id. Magnam aliquid et magnam iusto rerum ut non. Vero repellat beatae officiis eveniet nesciunt dolor hic nesciunt. Rem tempore nisi explicabo qui est. Corporis autem voluptates id est et voluptas.

Enim quis suscipit quasi suscipit fugit voluptas aut id. Ut tempora tempore quidem tenetur. In quo ea iste facilis est est eos. Aliquid dignissimos qui ea sed sint. Quia nemo autem pariatur aperiam ea et. Nihil enim delectus consequatur quo.

Minima doloremque quis incidunt omnis. Non nostrum et libero id optio corporis. Quia expedita est laborum expedita officiis nobis voluptatem tenetur. Vel voluptate vel officia error.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
3
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
4
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
5
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
6
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
7
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
8
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
9
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
10
numi's picture
numi
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”