Am I screwed if I don't have an offer for SA 2019?

intlcomm's picture

I don't have an SA offer for summer 2019 and it is now almost September. Am I totally screwed? Are all the banks full?

Investment Banking Interview Course

• 7,548 questions across 469 investment banks. Crowdsourced from over 500,000 members.
  • Technical, behavioral, networking, case videos, templates. All included.
  • Most comprehensive IB interview course in the world.

Comments (67)

Aug 22, 2018

No you are not. Quite a few banks are still recruiting. Keep your head up and be steadfast in your networking.

Aug 22, 2018

Do you know which banks? Seems like most BBs are wrapping up in early September

Aug 22, 2018

Citi, a few mid-tier,...

Aug 22, 2018

What mid-tiers?

Aug 23, 2018

I'm in the same boat man, I feel like all my effort networking went to waste. Does anyone know which banks are still accepting apps? :/

Learn More

7,548 questions across 469 investment banks. The WSO Investment Banking Interview Prep Course has everything you'll ever need to start your career on Wall Street. Technical, Behavioral and Networking Courses + 2 Bonus Modules. Learn more.

Aug 23, 2018

I'm in the same boat man, I feel like all my effort networking went to waste. Does anyone know which banks are still accepting apps? :/

Aug 23, 2018

Take the day to apply everywhere - Networking for the non-New York offices of larger banks is a strategy. Forget the EBs at this point.

Aug 23, 2018

Depends on your background, if you're in a top target you'll most likely be fine. Banks that are still recruiting, as far as I know, Citi, BAML, Jeffries, CVP, Deutsche, and Guggenheim. GS/MS/CS/Barclays are basically done, but have a few random spots for top target kids. All the EBs but CVP and Gugg.

Aug 23, 2018

GS just sent a round of IBD Hirevues to non-target candidates last night at 9pm. They are not done but they must be almost full. I'm sure it will be tough to walk out of those superdays with an offer.

Guggenheim is definitely done from what I know, but I could be wrong. What about UBS?

Aug 23, 2018

GS will also send another round of IBD hirevues next week, I think for targets, but filled a big chunk of their class already. Gugg is not done - I got an email from an MD just last week asking me to apply. I have no idea about UBS

Aug 23, 2018

Did you decide where you're going next summer yet?

Aug 23, 2018

Why don't you PM me?

Aug 23, 2018

PM'd you

Aug 23, 2018

MS isn't done yet, my friends at semi-targets are still actively interviewing with them

Aug 23, 2018

I sent in my Hirevue during the accelerated round in July - Have not heard back for a first round yet

Aug 26, 2018

Gugg told me they finished early june.

Aug 26, 2018

Was emailed a couple of weeks ago by an MD asking to apply - probably close to full but def not done

Aug 27, 2018

RIP me then, my contact connected me to an analyst who mentioned it was pointless for him to introduce me to more of his team since Gugg had already given out all their offers

This was first week of june

Aug 27, 2018

I'm sure its fine - just keep reaching out.

Aug 28, 2018

Guggenheim is for sure done my dude.

Aug 29, 2018

Nah its not - got another email from the same MD yesterday

Aug 31, 2018

Hey man, do you know what stage Jefferies and Centerview are at? I emailed a couple ppl but haven't heard back and was debating whether to reach out again

Sep 1, 2018

not sure about Jeffries, CVP has opened up resume drops at target schools

Learn More

7,548 questions across 469 investment banks. The WSO Investment Banking Interview Prep Course has everything you'll ever need to start your career on Wall Street. Technical, Behavioral and Networking Courses + 2 Bonus Modules. Learn more.

Aug 23, 2018

This late into recruiting season, it's doubtful that you will land at a top BB/EB. Very few are still recruiting. That being said, there are still a plethora of lesser-known boutiques that haven't even started that will still give you a great experience as an analyst. Plus, there is always full-time recruiting.

Aug 23, 2018

which lesser known boutiques ?

Aug 23, 2018

Even middle market firms like Piper are basically wrapping up from what I've heard. Other top MMs like Harris Williams, Raymond James, Jefferies are all recruiting right now full-force.

Aug 23, 2018

Do you know if the PE firms have starting recruiting yet ?

Aug 23, 2018

For undergrad SA programs? Yes - No idea about associate positions though

Aug 23, 2018

yes undergrad SA. which ones ?thanks

Aug 23, 2018

some top boston firms are actively interviewing candidates

Aug 23, 2018

names?

Aug 23, 2018

pm me

Aug 23, 2018

out of PMs. type here - other people want to know too

Aug 23, 2018

any chance i could pm for names as well? Pretty desp :/

Aug 23, 2018

harris williams, raymond james, canaccord genuity, are some - I think most banks except for the Boston offices of boutiques like Moelis/Lazard are still recruiting

Aug 23, 2018

did Jefferies start interviewing yet?

Aug 23, 2018

no idea but I am also curious about this - I heard earlier that they are doing the bulk of interviews in September

Aug 23, 2018

heard this too.. i know i got a referral to HR but didn't get an interview yet

Aug 23, 2018

Yeah - maybe reach out to HR directly and ask?

Aug 31, 2018

SF office is done. No idea about their other offices though

Aug 23, 2018

What are your thoughts on doing a top summer S&T internship with the intention of recruiting for IB FT? Is it unusual to get into a financing group for FT from S&T?

Aug 31, 2018

I wanted to do the same route but spoke to couple other ppl about it and basically they all said something along the lines that "it's better to do an IB internship at any place (where you can get relevant experience ofc) than doing S&T bc that might just lead you on to a different track, which btw is not a bad track at all IMO

Aug 31, 2018

is S&T --> MBA --> BB IB common and doable?

Aug 31, 2018

Really not sure on that one... most people I know in S&T really didn't see a need to get MBAs bc they picked trading right away... Curious to know the answer too though if you find out!

Sep 1, 2018

Yes.

Aug 23, 2018

Are top BB firms almost finished recruiting in other divisions such as er or am?

Aug 23, 2018

Yes er and am are also in full-swing if not almost finished

Most Helpful
Aug 23, 2018

No you aren't screwed. This site is filled with complete misinformation from kids who once they reach an actual intense job will realize two certainties: 1) the world isn't zero-sum 2) if you have sharp elbows and try to harm others to reach the top, intense team players will recognize your behavior and ensure you do not get employed at firms with healthy culture and good results. Finance is small and people have long memories.

Several bulge brackets are still recruiting, several boutique banks are, some also are finished (mainly smaller offices). Additionally, if you don't get a SA at a BB bank you can try for a regional bank and recruit for a full time position anywhere you want (read a real offer, not a internship). If that doesn't work you could try to possibly recruit for consulting and you might even find you enjoy it better, or possibly you could source this summer at a MM PE shop and they might even hire you. You could even be in a different industry, go to business school, and recruit for an associate position. The bottom line is there are just so many ways to skin the cat and you aren't screwed if you don't have a summer internship. Life is a marathon not a sprint and if your goal is to end up at a large PE shop or large bank there are so many ways to get there assuming a 50 year career. I'm assuming many of your friends have offers and that is great, but also here's an unfortunate secret: the job recruiting process never ends. It is a street fight from now until you stop working, so embrace it. Also, for the kids that think a SA position will set them for life, they are so wrong. The amount of friends I have watched have a quarter life crisis at 25-29 because they realize they don't know what to do after banking or PE is over is unbelievable. Envision your ideal job 10-15 years down the line and try to acquire experience for that job. In the scheme of things, your SA position is just not that big of a deal. Keep your head up, define your own values and the job YOU want, and work hard to pursue them and you will be fine.

Aug 23, 2018

No, plenty of opportunities in September and into October

Aug 23, 2018

Do you happen to know which banks specifically? Outside of the ones already mentioned.

Aug 24, 2018

I know this is not particularly helpful, but I'm so, so glad I never have to recruit for IB ever again, and hopefully never again in general outside of ad-hoc opps through a long-term network

Aug 25, 2018

Look at european and japanese banks, I'm sure they are all still recruiting

Aug 25, 2018

If you're really desperate, Canadian banks are just starting to open applications

Aug 25, 2018

hard for americans studying in the US to get into IB in canada tho

Aug 25, 2018

Look for Banks like RBC, BMO and TD: all Canadians banks

Aug 25, 2018

Nah my BB and plenty of others are still recruiting. Probably only a few of the EBs are full as of now; we did give some offers earlier this year but definitely didn't fill the class (as is the case across the board I believe)

Aug 25, 2018

Is JPMORGAN done? I feel like they are always having events.

Aug 26, 2018

Cowen is still recruiting. A lot of other MMs are too

Aug 26, 2018

what other MMs?

Aug 26, 2018

Jefferies / RJ

Aug 26, 2018

I find a lot of kids on this site to be so laser focused on BBs and EBs with the mentality that if they don't get a job there then they're considered failures. This is the totally wrong way to go about any job search as banking is banking and plenty of smaller firms offer a great experience and exit opps

Aug 26, 2018

true lol.

Aug 26, 2018

I didnt get my summer internship offer until the April before the summer. This was a few years ago, but I mean you are far from fucked if you dont have an offer in August. You almost have a full year to find something decent for the summer.

Aug 28, 2018
Sep 4, 2018

"Anything less than the best is a felony"

Sep 7, 2018