Q&A: Bulge Bracket IB Summer 2020

Hello everyone, In order to keep the thanksgiving spirits going I would like to follow suit with the other MBB Q&A that was live on this forum. I was fortunate enough to receive an investment banking summer analyst offer at a bulge bracket recently and this website was instrumental in my preparation for recruiting. I simply wish to provide insight for those who are getting ready for SA2021 recruiting in the near months.

47 Comments
 

I obviously can't speak for what firms are looking for but I can share some observations about the people that were at superdays with me and what I think led to offers.

The kids I met were always a combination of well spoken and connected, academically accomplished, or hustled really hard and had combinations of great work experience or unique experiences that made them stand out.

I think being a natural hard worker (demonstrated through resume), knowing your place (see: not being a know-it-all), and being personable are key traits that can lead to success at superdays.

Everyone knows that the work itself is not very intellectually demanding and that being a team player while being able to put in the necessary hours is more important. There was definitely a huge focus on fit at most places I interviewed. You can stumble on a few technicals, but if you can't pass the airport test you're done.

 

"I think (...) knowing your place (see: not being a know-it-all)"

The kid who has an offer from a BB and feels that somehow that alone makes him/her qualified to give recruiting advice giving advice on not acting like you know it all. The irony.

 

How many people did you networked with and how do you think networking helped you with the application?

 

I reached out to alumni with interesting backgrounds that I genuinely wanted to get to know. I think this is the best approach towards networking. One strong connection is better than 3-4 half-assed relationships with people at firms.

Networking will naturally take you far along the process: it can lead to interviews, can be brought up in interviews, and can even be a deciding factor at the roundtable when comparing candidates ("who knows this guy")

 

Step 1: book appointment on calendar during PEAK MARKET HOURS

Step 2: Leave to go to said appointment, but actually go to a secluded handicap bathroom (MAKE SURE TO BRING NOTEBOOK, PEN, AND SUIT JACKET TO MAKE IT LOOK LEGITIMATE)

Step 3: crank it like Soulja boi, BUT DONT USE BYOD WIFI YOU FOOL!!!

Step 4: Return to desk rested, relaxed, and just a lil bit sweddy ;)

 

I posted this because anecdotal posts like this helped me when I was learning about the industry and wasusing this site more often. Anecdotal experiences > M&I boilerplate article on how to break into the industry

 

What do you mean by "accelerated timelines"? Were you a diversity candidate?

 

Some firms interviewed in April/May. I got my offer in August, non-diversity.

 

Saying this to help but you're the type of person who doesn't get a return offer and then blames it on bad luck. Hopefully you're able to mature before summer starts.

 

LinkedIN:

"Hey guys I got offers from firms A, B and C. After careful consideration I decided to choose firm A for SA 2020. I am beyond thrilled to join this firm (not that the other firms aren't reputable in their own way of course). I am letting my professional network know of this amazing internship experience. Wall Street here I come!

Headline: Incoming IB Summer Analyst at Firm X in Division Y

Description: Will be preparing crucial materials that firm depends on. Will be using Advanced modeling techniques and proficient formatting skills to predict/determine and analyze future businesses.

Array
 

Facere omnis architecto dignissimos. Dolorum perferendis aut provident aliquid ea.

Quo aut ipsum accusantium eos. Corrupti impedit voluptas quos est totam laboriosam ut excepturi. Beatae cum quasi tenetur ut deserunt veniam ipsam qui. Quia voluptatem molestias sed voluptatibus. Praesentium at totam eius error.

Exercitationem consequuntur quia dolor dicta temporibus. Dolores sed qui consequuntur illo dignissimos iure. Odit excepturi aliquid possimus cumque architecto. Laboriosam labore enim molestiae cupiditate doloribus consectetur. Nemo cum vitae consequuntur fuga. Non id omnis commodi voluptatem corporis.

 

Placeat quisquam voluptatem distinctio ut accusamus. Quis repellat molestiae doloribus sit. Provident qui itaque adipisci officiis incidunt et molestiae. Fuga debitis optio odit tenetur molestiae laboriosam labore eum. Aut modi quisquam nisi totam iusto. Molestias quia facilis magni fugit vitae quas.

Aut odit velit sapiente et. Molestiae laboriosam tempora doloremque recusandae provident.

Eius consequuntur dignissimos doloribus nobis. Quia nisi et magnam pariatur aut. Et est libero tempore amet.

Illum quos facilis molestias et et qui. Voluptatem eveniet necessitatibus aut ducimus soluta sint natus blanditiis. Dicta quia illo exercitationem quia dolorem nisi provident.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
3
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
4
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
5
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
6
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
7
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
8
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
9
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
10
bolo up's picture
bolo up
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”