AMA: Bulge Bracket IB Summer 2020

Intern in IB - Gen

Hello everyone,

In order to keep the thanksgiving spirits going I would like to follow suit with the other MBB AMA that was live on this forum (https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/ama-mbb-sum...). I was fortunate enough to receive an investment banking summer analyst offer at a bulge bracket recently and this website was instrumental in my preparation for recruiting. I simply wish to provide insight for those who are getting ready for SA2021 recruiting in the near months.

Comments (45)

Funniest
Dec 2, 2019

ABSOLUTE flex god

Dec 4, 2019

Deutsche Bank Baby... Knew I'd make it.

• Intern in S&T - Other
Dec 5, 2019

Go off King

Dec 2, 2019

What would you say are the most important traits firms are looking for when recruiting students?

• Intern in IB - Gen
Dec 2, 2019

I obviously can't speak for what firms are looking for but I can share some observations about the people that were at superdays with me and what I think led to offers.

The kids I met were always a combination of well spoken and connected, academically accomplished, or hustled really hard and had combinations of great work experience or unique experiences that made them stand out.

I think being a natural hard worker (demonstrated through resume), knowing your place (see: not being a know-it-all), and being personable are key traits that can lead to success at superdays.

Everyone knows that the work itself is not very intellectually demanding and that being a team player while being able to put in the necessary hours is more important. There was definitely a huge focus on fit at most places I interviewed. You can stumble on a few technicals, but if you can't pass the airport test you're done.

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Dec 2, 2019

Unless you are diversity or at UBS/DB/BARC/Wells/HSBC, I think you're lying about the offer.

Dec 4, 2019

"I think (...) knowing your place (see: not being a know-it-all)"

The kid who has an offer from a BB and feels that somehow that alone makes him/her qualified to give recruiting advice giving advice on not acting like you know it all. The irony.

• Prospect in S&T - FI
Dec 2, 2019

How many people did you networked with and how do you think networking helped you with the application?

• Intern in IB - Gen
Dec 2, 2019

I reached out to alumni with interesting backgrounds that I genuinely wanted to get to know. I think this is the best approach towards networking. One strong connection is better than 3-4 half-assed relationships with people at firms.

Networking will naturally take you far along the process: it can lead to interviews, can be brought up in interviews, and can even be a deciding factor at the roundtable when comparing candidates ("who knows this guy")

Dec 2, 2019

cool, thanks for the AMA. should be useful for SA 2021 prospects

• Prospect in PE - Other
Dec 2, 2019

You didn't answer his question.

Dec 2, 2019

Any advice on places to whack off? Have a hard time finding time with sharing a 2bd apt w 2 other roommates, have been thinking of joining some gyms but any advice would greatly appreciated

Dec 2, 2019

Step 1: book appointment on calendar during PEAK MARKET HOURS

Step 2: Leave to go to said appointment, but actually go to a secluded handicap bathroom (MAKE SURE TO BRING NOTEBOOK, PEN, AND SUIT JACKET TO MAKE IT LOOK LEGITIMATE)

Step 3: crank it like Soulja boi, BUT DONT USE BYOD WIFI YOU FOOL!!!

Step 4: Return to desk rested, relaxed, and just a lil bit sweddy ;)

Controversial
Dec 2, 2019

<

p>Is the "IbD sUmMeR aNaLySt 2020 aMa" the new "I aM dEePlY hUmBlEd AnD aStOuNdEd To ReCiEvE ________ offer" post???? You might be into something here

• Intern in ER
Dec 2, 2019

https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/reflecting-...
hahahah life comes full circle look at you

Dec 2, 2019

How big of an ego do you have to justify an AMA as an incoming intern???? Get off this site and enjoy school before you start work.

• Intern in IB - Gen
Dec 2, 2019

I posted this because anecdotal posts like this helped me when I was learning about the industry and wasusing this site more often. Anecdotal experiences > M&I boilerplate article on how to break into the industry

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Dec 2, 2019

yeah right.....

Dec 4, 2019

Gets off phone with recruiter

"Finally..."

updates Linkedin to Incoming 2020 intern

Dec 5, 2019

"Candidate for XXX"

Array

Dec 2, 2019

hello thank u for the ama. what is investment banking?

• Associate 2 in IB - Gen
Dec 2, 2019

AMA: Desperately hoping this kid isn't at my shop

• Intern in IB - Gen
Dec 2, 2019

Was just looking to be helpful like this thread was: https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/ama-mbb-sum...
Looks like I got overrun by trolls though.

Dec 2, 2019

How did you get a job at The Goldman Sachs?

Array

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Dec 2, 2019

What do you mean by "accelerated timelines"? Were you a diversity candidate?

• Intern in IB - Gen
Dec 2, 2019

Some firms interviewed in April/May.
I got my offer in August, non-diversity.

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Dec 2, 2019

what do you think were some of your shortcomings during the accelerated recruiting period?

• Intern in IB - Gen
Dec 2, 2019

Saying this to help but you're the type of person who doesn't get a return offer and then blames it on bad luck. Hopefully you're able to mature before summer starts.

• Intern in HF - EquityHedge
Dec 2, 2019

I wish I was talented enough to suck my own dick.

• Intern in IB-M&A
Dec 2, 2019

Damn so you're one of those guys

Dec 4, 2019

Request: AMA for when you don't get a full time offer.

• Intern in IB-M&A
Dec 5, 2019

I don't get it. Why me?

Dec 2, 2019

LinkedIN:

"Hey guys I got offers from firms A, B and C. After careful consideration I decided to choose firm A for SA 2020. I am beyond thrilled to join this firm (not that the other firms aren't reputable in their own way of course). I am letting my professional network know of this amazing internship experience. Wall Street here I come!

Headline: Incoming IB Summer Analyst at Firm X in Division Y

Description: Will be preparing crucial materials that firm depends on. Will be using Advanced modeling techniques and proficient formatting skills to predict/determine and analyze future businesses.

Array

Dec 2, 2019

I thought this was a great idea and a way to give back to the community. I appreciate your efforts for an AMA. WSO and posts like this were instrumental for landing my summer gig. If nothing else, just for reassurance and getting rid of the jitters.

Thanks, happy thanksgiving!

• Intern in IB - Gen
Dec 3, 2019

Thank you! I wasn't expecting the site to receive the post like this, haha.

Dec 3, 2019

It happens. I would recommend not framing it as an AMA maybe?

Most Helpful
Dec 4, 2019

An AMA is usually by someone who is doing something extraordinary or is very professional in his field. An AMA by a VP about recruiting is super helpful. An AMA by an intern that doesn't even really know why he got the spot... not so much.

Dec 3, 2019

Can someone pls check out the thread I posted. Not much on WSO about it, and I would greatly appreciate anyone's help

Array

Dec 3, 2019
Comment
  • Intern in IB - Gen
Dec 5, 2019