Benefits (401k Match)

Don't quite know where to put this. Do finance internships in asset management and IB get benefits like 401k match? 

Edit: thanks for all of the helpful answers. Really appreciate it. My confusion stemmed from the fact that my internship this summer with the government claimed to have put money in my TSP. Was wondering if private firms did that with their 401ks.

Generally no is my understanding. This is something that's generally restricted to FT staff only, PT in some select cases/industries.

Quant (ˈkwänt) n: An expert, someone who knows more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

I could be wrong but I do not think a typical internship would qualify as eligible for the 401K based on ERISA guidelines, unless it was like the longest internship ever.  Part time employees can be eligible but you would still have meet certain requirements, which I doubt you would meet.  There was a rule change recently that helps part time employees but I still do not you would be eligible. You would need to compare the specific details about the hours and duration of an internship, etc,  and then compare it to the minimum guidelines under ERISA.     If you were to qualify under ERISA, your company would have to include you in the 401K.  With that said,  there is no ERISA requirement for a match, meaning companies do not have to provide a match.   

I feel like while you would be "theoretically" eligible the typical 3-5 year vesting requirement would sink any sort of match unless you end up with a career there.  Eligibility requirements could make this even worse.

The only difference between Asset Management and Investment Research is assets. I generally see somebody I know on TV on Bloomberg/CNBC etc. once or twice a week. This sounds cool, until I remind myself that I see somebody I know on ESPN five days a week.

The eligibility would depend mostly on hours and duration of employment (age is also a factor)   The rule had been 1,000 hours with one year of service.   The recent change makes it easier for part time employees to eligible.  You could be eligible with 500 hours in each of the past three years.  I doubt that an internship would last 3 years.  The vesting is another issue..Most likely, the person would never be fully vested, unless vesting is over a short period of time. 

Most Helpful

Aperiam sed veritatis occaecati. Veritatis quia tempora nisi in aspernatur possimus illum. Vitae quia suscipit corrupti. Nisi cupiditate aperiam perferendis perferendis maiores. Blanditiis quo iste ea consequuntur et dolores non.

Illo aspernatur id expedita optio. Dolorem tempora cupiditate vel voluptates voluptatem. Eius excepturi ipsum enim sed ratione. Hic rerum necessitatibus rem necessitatibus et qui. Sit nesciunt qui ab.

The only difference between Asset Management and Investment Research is assets. I generally see somebody I know on TV on Bloomberg/CNBC etc. once or twice a week. This sounds cool, until I remind myself that I see somebody I know on ESPN five days a week.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”