Breaking into Banking - 2010 Kelley School Grad

Let me preface this by apologizing in advance if this has been posted before..

Heres my story in a nutshell:

I'm a 2010 Kelley School of Business Grad. I struggled to find an IBanking job initially out of school and thus have come into a Financial Adviser position at AXA (I know not too glorious). My team, however, is the #1 team in the country and work strictly with Bankers and Funds. So I do have my foot in the door as far as knowing people in banks..

My question is simply this. How and what is the best/easiest way to break into banking? I'm a Finance/Sales guy at heart and just feel that Banking is the correct path for me..

However, I do not know how to go about applying / preparing for interviews. Who should I be sending my resumes to, etc etc.

Thanks for the help in advance!

I suggest that you get into contact with teacher's at the Kelly school and use them for contacts. Contact the guy who runs the Investment Banking program and see if he would be willing to put you in contact with IB alumni--I know that program has like 95% IB placement, mostly in Chicago, but still. He may want you to prove that you know a lot about IB, so brush up on technicals and valuation techniques (I only mention this because he interviews people to get into the IB program, so he may want to interview before giving you its benefits).

"Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, for knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA."

College. Was in the undergrad program at Kelley (Finance) and am currently in NYC. I, however, didn't do the IB program in Kelley. At the time, I didn't think IB was for me, but after seeing the analysts/associates/vps/etc in their element and getting to have a real conversation with a lot of them, I now realize that it is exactly what I want and need to get on top of it..

Nisi dolor excepturi architecto provident dolore. Aut sunt aspernatur architecto vel. Impedit sed nulla tempore voluptas cumque qui. Omnis placeat vitae veniam ut ex ut. Eaque et excepturi quia est.

Ut voluptas blanditiis a dolore. Saepe sed qui consectetur magnam et tempore deleniti. Illo officiis praesentium quisquam. Quia similique in quia omnis atque deserunt.

Et omnis commodi labore eos odit eveniet dolorem enim. Itaque et doloribus ipsam hic est occaecati. Eligendi in odit reiciendis veniam qui.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”