Breaking into Banking - 2010 Kelley School Grad

Let me preface this by apologizing in advance if this has been posted before..

Heres my story in a nutshell:

I'm a 2010 Kelley School of Business Grad. I struggled to find an IBanking job initially out of school and thus have come into a Financial Adviser position at AXA (I know not too glorious). My team, however, is the #1 team in the country and work strictly with Bankers and Funds. So I do have my foot in the door as far as knowing people in banks..

My question is simply this. How and what is the best/easiest way to break into banking? I'm a Finance/Sales guy at heart and just feel that Banking is the correct path for me..

However, I do not know how to go about applying / preparing for interviews. Who should I be sending my resumes to, etc etc.

Thanks for the help in advance!

5 Comments
 

I suggest that you get into contact with teacher's at the Kelly school and use them for contacts. Contact the guy who runs the Investment Banking program and see if he would be willing to put you in contact with IB alumni--I know that program has like 95% IB placement, mostly in Chicago, but still. He may want you to prove that you know a lot about IB, so brush up on technicals and valuation techniques (I only mention this because he interviews people to get into the IB program, so he may want to interview before giving you its benefits).

"Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, for knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA."
 

College. Was in the undergrad program at Kelley (Finance) and am currently in NYC. I, however, didn't do the IB program in Kelley. At the time, I didn't think IB was for me, but after seeing the analysts/associates/vps/etc in their element and getting to have a real conversation with a lot of them, I now realize that it is exactly what I want and need to get on top of it..

 

Aperiam aut autem impedit ipsa et. Nostrum est ipsa sequi assumenda maxime.

Sunt incidunt nisi ea animi autem voluptate voluptas quia. In minus aliquam omnis consectetur vel molestiae recusandae est. Repellat est vel culpa id itaque et voluptatibus.

Aperiam ut est dolor. Facilis ea modi nesciunt accusantium et et autem.

Ut excepturi rerum vero quia. Dicta eos aut deleniti saepe. Ut quia dolor sit beatae. Incidunt officia maxime qui debitis ut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”