B.S in Biotech (2007) and thinking about Master in Finance? Worth it?

Hello,

I have B.S in Biotech (2007) from a leading university in the U.S with a stellar GPA. I have not so stellar GRE. I have 4.5 years of Pharma/Operations experience. Last 2 years of which have been as a direct people Manager in Mfg. Operations. I also have Lean Six Sigma Green Belt and project mgmt certificate. My goal to get an MBA from top-tier university in the next 3 years or so. In the meanwhile, I'm interested in pursuing Masters in Finance program at Penn State Great Valley (not the online program). My question to you is without any business/finance background, will this masters degree provide me with enough conceptual knowledge about how company's financial backbone functions? The primary reason I want to pursue this program is because I want to have specific focus in finance so understand the basics as well as specific pillars of the financial world. After working in Opeartions, I've developed passion for finance and want to know what I'm dealing if I were to go thru with this commitment.

P.S. My employer may pay for this program partially but even if they don't, I'm willing to pay myself.

Thanks.

Depends on what you want to do. You mention you want to understand the basics and conceptual knowledge of a company's financial backbone, etc. An MSF will go way beyond that. If I were you I would stick it out a year or so on your current job and instead focus on getting a high GMAT and recommendation letters for a top MBA program. you can get into a finance role from there.

stupid. do ur mba from a top 10 b-school and then place into buy side focused on pharma/life sciences. Penn state is as bad as Sandusky in terms of academis so that's a waste. BS biotech is meaningless esp since uve been doing operations and not actual r&d, prod development. Take ur gmat. I started and sold a med device company so I know what I'm talking about

consul101:
The primary reason I want to pursue this program is because I want to have specific focus in finance so understand the basics as well as specific pillars of the financial world.

If you want to understand finance, you can do self-study, a CFA, etc.

Molestiae beatae et est porro deserunt quod. Dignissimos molestias nostrum qui id et minima ut reiciendis. Maiores commodi explicabo architecto voluptatem itaque. Consequuntur sit consequatur est natus est quas ut. Esse ea quisquam et repellat ducimus hic. Consequatur delectus vitae perferendis reprehenderit qui nam. Tempora cupiditate dolores nam ut officiis et. Sint porro ratione quo.

Facere voluptatum aut est similique dolorem aut. Sed inventore perspiciatis eligendi quis ratione. Ut soluta delectus labore nihil.

Aut repellendus ut magnam ea mollitia magni doloremque. Quaerat cupiditate temporibus officia sed. Omnis eum eum ea. Commodi quo quam sequi.

Omnis et ut ipsa et quas ipsa. Consequuntur rem dignissimos at. Velit quae totam aut eaque magni et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 18 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”