Corporate Development Role at $200 mln + Market Cap Company

Hey everyone,

Need some advise/discussion on this matter; if ya'll have some free time, please do comment and give me your insight.

I have received an offer to be an Analyst in this company's in-house M&A/corp dev. team. Right now, they have a director, who does everything, and he really needs an analyst that reports to him. The director reports to the CFO. Now, the company went downward after 2008. All execs took pay cuts, and the bottom line and cash was not great at all. However, since this earnings season, they have reported their first substantial profitable quarter, and it's huge. They are getting ready to acquire many other companies and are really growing (evident in their financials). They just got a round of term debt and have the capex in place to grow their operations even more.

Should I really consider this offer -- given that this may be the start/foundation of an entirely new company (they are also in the process of moving to a bigger and better HQ office)? Also, according to CapitalIQ, compensation has been trending up.

Also, in the near future, if I would want to go back to banking, how possible would that be?

Thanks guys.

Best Response
ddp34:
Hey everyone,

Need some advise/discussion on this matter; if ya'll have some free time, please do comment and give me your insight.

I have received an offer to be an Analyst in this company's in-house M&A/corp dev. team. Right now, they have a director, who does everything, and he really needs an analyst that reports to him. The director reports to the CFO. Now, the company went downward after 2008. All execs took pay cuts, and the bottom line and cash was not great at all. However, since this earnings season, they have reported their first substantial profitable quarter, and it's huge. They are getting ready to acquire many other companies and are really growing (evident in their financials). They just got a round of term debt and have the capex in place to grow their operations even more.

Should I really consider this offer -- given that this may be the start/foundation of an entirely new company (they are also in the process of moving to a bigger and better HQ office)? Also, according to CapitalIQ, compensation has been trending up.

Also, in the near future, if I would want to go back to banking, how possible would that be?

Thanks guys.

You could move back to a MM IB if you wanted, but better yet, you'd be a solid candidate for MM PE.

I think it sounds like a good opportunity, but expect a pay cut. Probably $80-$100K with 25%. Could vary some, but given the current stage of the firm, comp isn't going to be as lucrative (higher base, much lower bonuses).

Another positive is expect to work 40-50 hours/wk, unless there is a deal in the works.

Thanks guys -- appreciate the advice.

Would corp dev. to PE really be possible? I mean I'll be having exposure to bankers coming in and pitching us companies, the whole transaction (but keep in mind these are very small transactions right now, will grow in the future, but right now they are small companies that they acquire), mgmt presentations, pitching to acquisition candidates, etc. Also, since it's a publicly traded company, I would probably be exposed to investor conferences, and other IR's stuff (not sure if that would be relevant to PE, but it's good exp. nonetheless).

But yeah, main question is, given the current state of the company and how small it is, will I have exit ops?

And yes, it is an industry that I am interested in, however I am concerned that once I get into the corp. side, making it back to banking/PE (if I chose to pursue) is hard?

ddp34:
Thanks guys -- appreciate the advice.

Would corp dev. to PE really be possible? I mean I'll be having exposure to bankers coming in and pitching us companies, the whole transaction (but keep in mind these are very small transactions right now, will grow in the future, but right now they are small companies that they acquire), mgmt presentations, pitching to acquisition candidates, etc. Also, since it's a publicly traded company, I would probably be exposed to investor conferences, and other IR's stuff (not sure if that would be relevant to PE, but it's good exp. nonetheless).

But yeah, main question is, given the current state of the company and how small it is, will I have exit ops?

And yes, it is an industry that I am interested in, however I am concerned that once I get into the corp. side, making it back to banking/PE (if I chose to pursue) is hard?

1) Yes corp dev to PE is quite possible. There are plenty of PE guys that were in corp dev previously. In the corp dev role, you are conducting similar analyses and basically "rolling up" companies into the existing/parent company. Additionally, you also will have to monitor the new acquisitions, help with the integration, conduct the due diligence, etc.

2) The size is on the smaller side, but I see no reason why you can't lateral or move to a MM PE shop down the road. Same with MM IB (think Baird, HW, Blair). It would be very difficult to move to BB IBD or megafund PE groups without lateraling to a larger corporation and working on large transactions first.

The Kid:
taugei:
hi, may I ask what does $200mln refer to?

Its refers to 200 million dollars, the company's market cap

I see! I read it as 200 mln + market cap, so I thought it might have referred to debt (which is just odd)

I'm in a similar role, with a market cap of ~1bln. I think the learning opportunities will be plentiful, but I expect you'd need to network a lot and let people see the quality of your experience.

ddp34:
Hey everyone,

Thanks guys.

Does this company know you lied on your resume and claimed you worked for JPM BB IB in Jersey City?

Labore facere doloremque dolorem natus ut excepturi aliquid. Deserunt voluptates pariatur qui non sed. Architecto est voluptas explicabo sunt beatae occaecati odio voluptas. Expedita eos itaque mollitia delectus beatae optio. Aut ullam repellendus repellat culpa rerum. Nam velit maxime veritatis occaecati ad. In vel dolores perferendis nemo ex.

Quas maxime voluptatem quasi magni tempore et. Sunt voluptatem totam dicta optio expedita laborum harum. Qui aut aut sunt vitae dolor. Molestiae at a quasi recusandae laboriosam. Voluptatem nihil voluptatem ullam.

Esse assumenda sed iste ad vitae ea pariatur. Quis consectetur vel officiis ut labore. Impedit enim at consequatur accusantium tenetur incidunt qui voluptas. Beatae veritatis non iste non ullam tempore quidem. Et ut doloribus voluptates omnis rerum eum. Sunt fugiat qui libero dolores eos impedit mollitia.

"They are all former investment bankers that were laid off in the economic collapse that Nancy Pelosi caused. They have no marketable skills, but by God they work hard."

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”