COVID-19 Emergency Relief Checks ($1000+) - Who gets it?

I saw in the news that the recipients of $1000+ emergency checks might be for the US tax payers only, although the media said "checks to all Americans". If that's the case, can you really call em "emergency checks" when only the working ppl get them? How about the disabled and the homeless? How about the temporarily unemployed workers? How about the college students who do not have a job?

I'm sure most of you guys (including me) are college students here, and I'd be pretty bummed if I'm like the only one without a check when everyone else gets one.

Most Helpful

It looks like it might be two checks to eligible taxpayers. The first issue is April 6 and second issue is May 18.

https://context-cdn.washingtonpost.com/notes/prod/default/documents/c6c…

"III. ECONOMIC IMPACT PAYMENTS • This provision would authorize and appropriate funds for two rounds of direct payments to individual taxpayers, to be administered by the IRS and Bureau of the Fiscal Service. o $250 billion to be issued beginning April 6 o $250 billion to be issued beginning May 18 • Payment amounts would be fixed and tiered based on income level and family size. Treasury is modeling specific options. • Each round of payments would be identical in amount."

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

that is a shame because students have a higher propensity to spend extra funds they get which will help aid the multiplier effect. This would have a bigger impact to the economy than a middle income family who would save more.

New Orleans Property Investor https://homebuyerlouisiana.com

I think it is simply based upon your tax status in 2018 tax year. If you are a dependent then you will most likely not get anything, and if not you will receive a check. Being dependent vs independent is not related to being a full time student or not. For example I am currently a full time student but my parents do not claim me as a dependent so they will not receive this extra "500" check for me, but at the same time if they are giving out money I would be eligible given my tax status

Great info. It doesn’t state clearly if this goes to all people who held a job last year or are currently working. I’m curious because of all the people laid off/ furloughed (thus not paying taxes right now)

“The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates, and a monthly salary.” - Nassim Taleb

Veniam exercitationem excepturi expedita dolorum ut ex odio. Non laborum repellat dolor illum dolores. Sit voluptas tempora vero magnam sunt sapiente repellendus. Iste sunt libero quos excepturi explicabo et.

Quia voluptatem sed eum omnis. Ipsam veniam molestias non illo voluptatem vel suscipit optio.

Eum optio ipsum quod blanditiis. Nesciunt labore odit amet. In sed qui et dolor. Rerum veniam autem nam ex qui minima. Quibusdam saepe necessitatibus occaecati accusamus dolorem maxime qui rerum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”