Debt Fund/Direct Lending Recruiting

Hi all!

I was curious to learn more about the debt fund or direct lending recruitment process, if it's on the same timeline as PE, and what to expect in the process. Currently, I'm at a BB group that specializes in underwriting leveraged loans (mostly sponsor deals, acquisition financing, and recapitalizations), which includes a lot of work in exchanging and negotiating grids and credit documents with the client. It doesn't involve any modeling. Can anyone please shed some light on where I would stand or what the process looks like in general?

Here's a link to the client / product base in the group - OP, when you say underwriting loans, do you mean lending essentially? if you could elaborate on grids that would also be great

The link didn't post - can you try again in another way or PM me it? Underwriting = Lending essentially yes, but we go through the different terms and structures of the deal to get one that we think we'll be able to sell to the market. The grids are what you exchange with financial sponsors for them to understand the terms you're willing to give them on that particular company/structure.

A "grid" is basically a word .doc that gets passed back and forth between lender and PE firm/borrower (& their counsel).

In the word doc. is a table that essentially covers, row-by-row, different concepts/covenants of the credit agreement that are important to the sponsor/borrower and that are up for negotiation (e.g. incremental facilities, covenant levels, covenant triggers, restricted payments, baskets, etc.)

Most Helpful

Having gone through one credit fund interview, I will say my experience was as follows: - HR phone screen: standard behavioral stuff surrounding why you want to be there etc - Phone interview with Principal: Asked 60% behavioral (our conversation ran longer than expected so I suspect that is why) and 40% technical (types of private debt, digging into my credit mindset as an investor, 5 most important things when looking at a private debt issuer and why - Superday: ~2.5 hours, 4 people. Surprisingly only one of technicals (though I suspect anymore than this and it's diminishing returns), other three were behaviorals, and an oral case study of an LBO debt financing ie. given a specific industry and a number of metrics, what could a potential deal structure look like, what kind of debt would I use etc etc - Case study: Fairly simply debt paydown model with IC memo then presenting it (got dinged on this part)

Mollitia quae consequuntur sit et et architecto. Perspiciatis ratione magni enim voluptatem. Nihil itaque sunt est excepturi et eum perspiciatis. Odit unde vel velit vel dolorum recusandae nihil consequuntur. Beatae dolor blanditiis magnam distinctio fugit dolor. Quis perspiciatis occaecati odit iste sequi.

Ipsa totam porro voluptatem laudantium reprehenderit. Id sit cumque temporibus optio fuga quo omnis. Saepe molestias voluptatem sequi blanditiis repellat animi. Mollitia facilis est aut sunt nesciunt. Ab ipsa nostrum dignissimos voluptatem voluptatem est. Et fugit corrupti tenetur similique. Sit pariatur sit sed doloremque et eum voluptatum.

Aut tenetur harum assumenda nihil atque. Animi enim fugit quis odio architecto.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”