I was browsing over some youtube videos and I came across a Peter Schiff one on the Dylan Rattigan show. The whole basis of the segment is risk transfer and how bad it has corrupted our economy. That's a fair argument, though one I disagree with. I do think there is some truth to the FDIC backstop corrupting capitalism. Actually, there's nothing capitalistic about it at all but it probably is a necessary evil. The panel talks about PE effectively not taking risk and make it sound as though they are just given free money to invest. They don't even consider the high yield debt that is being issued and gobbled up buy other investors. It seems to me that the panel just has no clue on half the things they are complaining about. That would be fine if it were just a group of people talking among themselves, but this nonsense it spread to their audiences and from their the hatred towards PE becomes pervasive without understanding the very basics of it. I'm not saying the average CNN user should be analyzing the latestdeal or anything, but I see time and time again where people are unjustifiably angry at something they heard from the media without fully understanding this. I'm not picking on the people on this show particularly, I just thought it made a good example. My question is am I missing something here? I see this type of stuff all the time with people who should know better.
Wall Street Oasis Notifications
Please tell us a little bit more about yourself to send you the most relevant notifications
Popular Content See all
- I am currently interning at a bank the summer before my final year of undergrad, and have many peers working internships for the big 4. I have heard stories of them getting paid 30/hr for doing absolutley no work, getting to "work" from home whenever they want, and some even got this...+28 by Tallfinanceguy in IB
- Hi guys,
I have a MSc in Quantitative Finance obtained in Italy and have been a Quant Researcher for approx 1 year in the Netherlands for a buy-side boutique. Now I am in Quant Risk modelling in a sell-side major investment bank in Zürich, Switzerland.
Ask me...+21 by DrSnake in IB
- I am a girl and I often hear people talk about wanting to stay home with the baby. Makes sense to me when your child is a new born and you are in the healing process even though I am a workaholic.
Would any of you want paternity leave? Have you taken it yet? Do you think that it should be...+18 by isa2130953 in OFF
- Hey folks. Spent a lot of time as a ghost on these forums back when I was trying to figure out what I was doing - figured I'd give back a little for anyone who's looking at the renewable energy infra/project finance space, with specific emphasis on the buy side.
###...+17 by ob38dn in PE
- Financial modeling is a skill that any investment banking analyst will have to master. Although the majority of investment banks and other financial firms now have formal training programs, many students and prospective finance professionals are choosing to enroll in self-study financial...+13 by WallStreetOasis.com in IB
- My boyfriend broke up with me recently after being together for 9 years - first love and all that shtz. His rationale is that I don't bring a lot to the table except being hot and tall, and better aesthetics and tastes for things in life. He is a soon-to-be MBB FO guy and will be making...+11 by agirlwithnoname in OFF
- Is it wise to buy a franchise think subway, Tim Hortons, not McDonald's because of price but a smaller but known chain? I am thinking into the future and want to have an asset that pays me dividends and something I can build and focus on into retirement. Start with one accumulate capital...+11 by JohnGutfreund in IB
- Ask me anything
Previous: Non-target, state school MACC CPA 1 year of audit at national firm 1.5 years of valuation, financial modeling, and QofE (TAS) Passed Level 1 CFA
Current: F500 CorpDev analyst
Ask me about: transitioning from audit to...+10 by MedTechMonkey in CF
- What do you guys think? Not like it's a real holiday like Christmas or Thanksgiving or anything.
Am I good to blast or will I look like a douchebag?+10 by famejranc in OFF
- Moving upstream in PE is notoriously challenging and I would greatly appreciate some advice from the community.
I am currently working in a very small PE boutique with only three investment professionals. I have an MBA from a non-target state school MBA program. No investment banking...+9 by NotTheFeds in PE
Upcoming EventsSee all
- Jul10Financial Modeling Boot Camp -- New York City, 7/10-7/128:00 to 5:00 EDT Online
- Jul15Free SC/PS videos on "GMAT PILL" mobile app (2 days only)!(All day) Online
- Jul17WSO LA Meet Up: Wed 7/17, 7pm, The Bungalow In Santa Monica7:00 EDT Santa Monica, CA
- Jul17WSO Toronto Meetup: Wed July 17th, 7:30pm, Joey Eaton Center7:30 EDT Toronto, ON
- Jul18WSO Chicago Meet Up: Thur 7/18, 630-830pm, Headquarters6:30 to 8:30 EDT Chicago, IL