Elite Boutiques in New York: 2020

With 2020 SA recruiting approaching, would love to hear the community’s thoughts on these NY EBs in particular: EVR, CVP, LAZ, PWP, PJT, MOE. Interested in a holistic ranking / discussion based on culture, exits, generic prestige, analyst experience, and firm outlook.

Thank you!

All great firms but my list that i would work (accounting for all work/life balance, prestige, pay, etc)

1. Evercore
  2. PJT
  3. Lazard
  4. Centerview
  5. Moelis
  6. PWP

Once again this is just my preference and each firm has their pros and cons. If you excel in any of thse you will get good exits and the pay for analyst years will be marginal.

Once again just my list but I think many people would agree for the most part

Based on preferences and experiences of peers at these firms in New York, would list:

1) Evercore 2) PJT 3) Centerview 4) PWP 5) Lazard 6) Moelis NY

Some are known to be more supportive of buyside recruiting, some are known to have tougher cultures, etc. Again, to reiterate, any differences are marginal and all will provide great experience and opportunities.

I've been out of the IB hiring world for a year so maybe something happened recently, but outside of that possibility I'm surprised to see you rank Centerview with the rest instead of the top. Certainly when I was in IB (again until only a year ago) Centerview was considered by far the hardest place to get hired. Top pay by a good margin, good culture etc. Did something change recently?

Looks like a few of the MM firms have already opened 2020 applications and a good mix of BBs / EBs have begun on campus info sessions. I’d guess these boutiques would start interviews in March based on previous timelines

ufcf:
Looks like a few of the MM firms have already opened 2020 applications and a good mix of BBs / EBs have begun on campus info sessions. I’d guess these boutiques would start interviews in March based on previous timelines
Which MMs have you seen with open applications? Have heard RBC but application wouldn't even work for me

For SA 2019, Lazard held info sessions March and applications opened in May and filled spots in NYC by mid June. Evercore was also well into recruiting by the end of May. CVP had info session in May and then did interviews in the following fall, in September. Target uni.

Didn't hear about precise timelines for 2020.

Any are good but note that Centerview is a 3Yr program. You get a massive signing bonus but contingent on following through with all 3 years, or else taken back. That's why some users may have it ranked lower than other users - great IBD experience overall, but if you want to transition to PE ASAP, it's probably not the best option to do so.

CVP, EVR and PJT are clearly in the first category.

Moelis is more of a wild card. I've heard good arguments that they are at the top because you get great training, and I've heard arguments that they're not as good (insane hours and brutal culture for the same pay and exits that you'd get at the places above).

Laz, PWP and others are the also-rans.

All of this can be trumped by fit. If you feel a strong fit with the group making you the offer, that's a better bet than anything else.

Would add that it's probably more useful to rank specific groups within the banks (e.g. EVR M&A vs PJT M&A vs. Moelis M&A or EVR RX vs. PJT RX vs. LAZ RX) as opposed to the entire bank itself

At my school's in office EVR info session, the bank said they would recruit "target schools" (H/P/Y/S/P) in the spring, and online application would open in July/August. They said that this was going to be a trend for most IBs. Have talked to Jefferies and PWP saying they will most likely do the same.

covavoityuderg:
7. Everything else in the world
  1. The value of your opinion

Sup, Harvardboiii

Accept for the fact that I went to Harvard and interned at the top bank on Wall Street and now have a buy-side gig lined up straight out of college, so in fact, the value of my opinion generally carries great weight in any boardroom. Get cucked bubba.

PteroGonzalez:
Yeah I'm sure a lot of people choose Citi over CVP and EVR. Troll game is slipping.

Look at the scoreboard pussy, I don't even know if CVP and EVR made it on the last League Tables because why the fuck would I read past the top 5? Wayyyy too many MM nerds are on this site hyping each other up.

they have a few different programs. advisory, rx, and pca. at least for advisory: you apply and if you get an offer, you get a generalist offer in NYC. other offices (Chicago, SF, and Houston) have specific groups (industrial, tech/healthcare, energy [respectively]).

your internship is as a generalist. if you return full time you are also a generalist and get staffed in different groups, depending on both the needs of the firm and your interests. after like 6 months you have the option to choose a group that you've worked with. if they like you, you can go to that group.

I've met a couple of people that really like the generalist model and have remained a generalist but have a few groups they regularly work with.

At my school's info session Evercore was very insistent that there would be zero interviews before apps open in July. Anyone know the probability they break this and hold supers in the next month or two?

I can see that. I do know one person who chose Lazard over Moelis in 2018, so I'm sure there are exceptions.

The general consensus among current students and recent alumni in IB (both BB and Independent) & PE shops that I've talked to seem to highly favor Evercore over the others for exit, pay, technical caliber of bankers, culture, and recognition within high finance. They said PJT simply doesn't attract as many top candidates as it used to prior to its spin off from Blackstone.

Array

I went through the traditional IB -> PE -> MBA ->PE route and did 1 year at BB (GS/MS) and 1 year at EB (Blackstone/ Evercore). The majority of Harvard/MIT/Wharton kids that I know prefer Blackstone/PJT and Evercore over the others by far. They simply attract the cream of the crop from the best schools even over Goldman or Morgan Stanley.

CVP was preferred by those with strong interest in consumer. Really can't speak for the remainders of EBs, but definitely less preferred than Evercore and Blackstone/PJT.

First, unless you're a super genius, no one will get to choose between PJT and Evercore... At any of these firms, you'll have the same exit opps (Evercore, PJT, Lazard, Centerview, PWP, Moelis, Guggenheim, Greenhill); they are all elite boutiques and people go to Megafunds from all of these firms every year. Maybe Evercore has more super geniuses than Greenhill and "places better" but that's not because the person works at Evercore, it's because that person has a better resume. Gets self selecting...

Quis et fugiat et modi eius. Molestiae laborum nam et iste quia saepe vel. Cupiditate quisquam et quo dolore eaque sint sed. Nam dolorum et quod aut.

Autem autem officia reprehenderit dolorem. Sit enim consequatur praesentium voluptas accusamus.

Earum doloribus expedita perspiciatis voluptatem sint placeat. Qui rerum nisi aut et placeat et nemo. Necessitatibus sit sapiente minus aut exercitationem laboriosam et. Molestiae et deserunt est atque. Amet repudiandae maiores ipsa et impedit.

Libero laboriosam porro inventore at harum sed eos ut. Nobis et ut accusamus unde. Eos et qui placeat numquam. Ut tempore eum magni suscipit.

Aperiam placeat pariatur aut quod ut mollitia et sit. Ut odio dicta est ex. Voluptatem enim quos veritatis quo fugiat ex culpa. Soluta atque sequi sed. Officiis aut sit iste voluptatem nihil facere ut velit. Quis autem placeat magnam dolorum sapiente velit quo. Officia excepturi eaque quod aut sed.

Qui nisi reiciendis consequuntur itaque nemo. Pariatur et eum explicabo reprehenderit aut. Laboriosam ut laborum nemo numquam laborum qui. Maiores sed dolorem reiciendis optio et repudiandae id voluptatem.

To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering.

Ab quisquam quod eum temporibus dignissimos architecto. Porro modi esse optio corrupti et. Dolores dolor quisquam et veniam deserunt est vitae. Ut debitis esse deleniti rem.

Dolore praesentium aperiam consequatur quaerat. Corporis sint cupiditate repudiandae exercitationem. Amet est enim sit rerum commodi sit magnam.

Qui ullam deserunt amet fugit omnis voluptatem quia. Illum doloremque ut commodi aut. Nulla ullam expedita non velit. Commodi eos natus laborum numquam doloribus.

Culpa vel id rerum quas asperiores quaerat ut. Neque adipisci natus vero quisquam. Quis magni consequuntur et sit voluptate inventore. Facere expedita aut consectetur aperiam sed consequatur qui ut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (85) $262
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (65) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (198) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (143) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
pudding's picture
pudding
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”