Financial Modeling in Early Stage Venture Capital in 2018

Hello all, I am just under a year out of UG from a semi-target school (think Duke/Dartmouth/Northwestern) and have operating experience at various software companies, and, long story short, am hell-bent on breaking into Venture Capital pre-MBA. As I network with alumni, family friends, and professional connections, and develop opinions of my own on tech sectors I find interesting, I believe another great use of my time would is self-learning relevant financial skills.

Now,
I know that in seed-stage and angel investing, there is little to no modeling/financial analysis at the junior level. Analyst & associates at these $25-75m seed funds and incubators are nearly 100% based around networking with founders and sourcing a high volume or startups at their earliest stage.
I also know that at the growth stage venture (series C or later, sometimes called "growth PE" like Summit/TA/IVP), you see a lot of ex-bankers and need a strong understanding of DCF, 3 statement analysis, and valuation methods.

But what about regular good-old-fashioned "Early Stage Venture Firms"? This is the sweet spot I am interested in. The "series A, series B" $500M-1B firms that make investments of $5m-$50M in companies that have SOME traction, but not enough data to build 5-year cash flow forecasts. What are the key financial skills necessary to thrive at this level?

Thanks in advanced for responses!

It's very rare for a Series A or B company to have had enough traction to require any real financial diligence, and even modeling for Series C and D investments is relatively simple and focused almost entirely above the operating income line.

Series A and B firms will focus, like in seed-stage investing, on your ability to network with founders and your understanding of the qualitative things that can increase a startup's chances of success (big TAM, killer team, value proposition, etc.).

Let's set aside startups with heavy technical risk, where engineering skill is required to decide whether the team can actually build their proposed quantum/nano/cyber mumble.

The most critical factors in most early stage are signs that customers find the solution desirable, and that it has positive unit economics: the gross profit earned from each new customer is significantly more than the cost of getting them onboard.

I'd leave all your finance textbooks on the shelf and get familiar with Lean Startup methodology. https://hbr.org/2013/05/why-the-lean-start-up-changes-everything

Best Response

Think the comment by 7xEBITDA is spot on. You would rarely be doing any serious financial modeling at any VC. Also, over my time in VC, I am not sure if it is the best place for finance professionals to start their career. There is a very small chance of moving up beyond Associate level if you join as an Analyst.

I have been very lucky to have joined as an Analyst and moved on to a Director role and there were extenuating circumstances that helped. Most people usually leave for portfolio companies in a year or two.

So long story short, I wonder if you are better off having more operational roles at start-ups and then breaking into VC post-MBA would be a better option. Just my 2 cents.

Necessitatibus et aut non voluptas tempore. Suscipit aut molestiae enim et sint.

Earum et autem totam illum. Est tempore ducimus voluptas.

Nulla et ut necessitatibus cupiditate magni. Qui ut nam itaque. Sit fugit ut numquam sed recusandae. Perspiciatis et vero architecto et consequatur earum.

Voluptatem in eaque eum non sed. Fuga quo fugit sit minima. Vel eum explicabo nam aliquid quia. Ea nobis eum fugiat incidunt. Odit vel voluptatem nam rerum in magnam ea.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”