Forced to delay graduation but accepted summer 2020 offer -- what to do?

Hi everyone. I'm a sophomore and after doing accelerated recruiting, I got a summer 2020 BB IB offer (my junior summer). However, due to personal and family reasons, I have had to leave college for the remainder of my semester and will return this coming fall, so my graduation has been pushed from May 2021 to December 2021.

Would this normally mean that my offer would get rescinded, as this effectively means that summer 2020 would be my sophomore summer? How should I communicate this with the recruiters? And how explicit do I need to be with all the details? The BB has a sophomore summer program, and I was hoping that I could just get transferred over to that.

Thanks everyone. This has been quite a stressful time. I really appreciate this community, and I honestly wouldn't haven't gotten the offer in the first place if it weren't for all the information in these forums. So thank you all.

In that case though, if I end up getting the return offer, I'd have to tell them that I wouldn't be able to start working in 2021. I want to avoid further problems down the line.

Most Helpful

If it is for family reasons, and not due to academic or disciplinary reasons, you should feel no hesitation in discussing with your bank. Any bulge bracket HR team will help you through the process. I'd be shocked if you didn't still have the ability to intern over summer of 2020 in addition to a commitment from the bank to give you a flexible start date (should you perform well during your internship).

I would err on the side of full disclosure rather than hiding the ball. It's never a good look to have it come to light that you were hiding information from your employer.

-- sm

Thanks! Yeah, I wasn't disciplined/forced to leave by my school, but it was a personal decision I made based on personal and family stuff going on.

When you say full disclosure, should I say everything? It wasn't just one thing that made me leave, but essentially a death in the extended family + my own personal problems were just too much to deal with, and I was also in a major that I will switch out of so losing the course credit wasn't a big deal.

Disclose what you are comfortable disclosing. Talk it over with your parents. If you are seeking professional help, talk it over with them. The point is, it doesn't sound like there's anything to be ashamed of, and your future employer will understand and likely even offer their assistance.

-- sm

Et qui dolor omnis fugit aut qui ut rerum. Rerum nisi dolor dicta in et omnis dignissimos voluptatem. Aliquid qui voluptatum sint dolor sunt unde. Repudiandae facilis non molestias dolore incidunt quaerat.

Praesentium non et facere quidem neque. Aut dicta consequatur atque. Quia optio dolor aperiam non. Et rerum reiciendis fugit commodi eos eveniet veniam.

Aspernatur consectetur necessitatibus vel ad quasi ut non suscipit. Laudantium excepturi quibusdam quam doloremque. Ex odit voluptatem laborum sed quo. Reiciendis animi labore qui voluptas. Voluptas est aut molestiae rerum hic.

Perferendis laudantium nemo eveniet sit. Ducimus rerum ipsam sed assumenda. Est cupiditate rem optio dolor blanditiis. Eaque unde deleniti magnam non quia animi.

Array

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”