Forced to delay graduation but accepted summer 2020 offer -- what to do?

memaze's picture
Rank: Chimp | 12

Hi everyone. I'm a sophomore and after doing accelerated recruiting, I got a summer 2020 BB IB offer (my junior summer). However, due to personal and family reasons, I have had to leave college for the remainder of my semester and will return this coming fall, so my graduation has been pushed from May 2021 to December 2021.

Would this normally mean that my offer would get rescinded, as this effectively means that summer 2020 would be my sophomore summer? How should I communicate this with the recruiters? And how explicit do I need to be with all the details? The BB has a sophomore summer program, and I was hoping that I could just get transferred over to that.

Thanks everyone. This has been quite a stressful time. I really appreciate this community, and I honestly wouldn't haven't gotten the offer in the first place if it weren't for all the information in these forums. So thank you all.

Comments (10)

Apr 26, 2019

I mean, I like the bank I got and I'm not incredibly interesting in going to a different one.

Apr 26, 2019

I wouldn't say a word

    • 2
Apr 26, 2019

In that case though, if I end up getting the return offer, I'd have to tell them that I wouldn't be able to start working in 2021. I want to avoid further problems down the line.

Apr 26, 2019

you could take more credits over 2 semester to finish a semester earlier if you are to receive a return offer, if you dont it gives you the optionality to re-recruit for SA.

Apr 26, 2019

Unfortunately, that isn't an option at my college. There really is no way to get around the full 8 semesters thing here.

So you think I shouldn't tell them?

Learn More

7,548 questions across 469 investment banks. The WSO Investment Banking Interview Prep Course has everything you'll ever need to start your career on Wall Street. Technical, Behavioral and Networking Courses + 2 Bonus Modules. Learn more.

Apr 26, 2019

go for your internship - if you convert they would offer you and SA I think.

Most Helpful
Apr 26, 2019

If it is for family reasons, and not due to academic or disciplinary reasons, you should feel no hesitation in discussing with your bank. Any bulge bracket HR team will help you through the process. I'd be shocked if you didn't still have the ability to intern over summer of 2020 in addition to a commitment from the bank to give you a flexible start date (should you perform well during your internship).

I would err on the side of full disclosure rather than hiding the ball. It's never a good look to have it come to light that you were hiding information from your employer.

    • 4
Apr 26, 2019

Thanks! Yeah, I wasn't disciplined/forced to leave by my school, but it was a personal decision I made based on personal and family stuff going on.

When you say full disclosure, should I say everything? It wasn't just one thing that made me leave, but essentially a death in the extended family + my own personal problems were just too much to deal with, and I was also in a major that I will switch out of so losing the course credit wasn't a big deal.

Apr 29, 2019

Disclose what you are comfortable disclosing. Talk it over with your parents. If you are seeking professional help, talk it over with them. The point is, it doesn't sound like there's anything to be ashamed of, and your future employer will understand and likely even offer their assistance.

Apr 26, 2019
Comment