There are different scenarios:

1) More competition for 1Y analysts to lateral, hence better comp or benefits (this would happen when they get to Associates). Something similar to what happened on the Financial Crisis (class of 2008-2009)

2) PEs hire less so headcount is ok, no large changes, churn rate remains similar even if some people quite faster

3) 2020 Analyst class gets replaced with 2021 class increase (does not seem it will happen even if some positions are opening)

Whats happening right now will most likely not impact 2022 clas, but the M&A market will, which seems to be quite strong for the following years. But Covid is spreading again, so who knows...

For point 1, how does this effect FT 2021? Also, to clarify, will it ever be explicitly stated in the next coming weeks/months that if current An1s stay that they will get bigger bonuses next year as well as higher pay/benefits when they become associates?

For point 3, didn't most firms have 2021 classes have a same or even lower conversion rate than previous years? What does this mean for incoming analysts?

Most Helpful

Hope this helps to clarify my thoughts:

1) It will mostly benefit those who stay from class of 2020 and to some extent 2021 classes. I HIGHLY DOUBT that any bank will commit to that promises, if the economy turns wrong that would be impossible to fulfill. Anyways this is the market, and it regulates itself, if there is scarcity it will be rewarded somehow.

3) It really depends on the bank, Citi, Moelis and some other banks had a higher conversion rate (JP?), some others had a smaller one (MS, BofA, CS). This means that if nothing changes some banks will have needs for laterals earlier than expected at some banks and some more lay offs / lower bonuses at some others everything equal (but this will depend on the specific bank's performance)

*** Conversion rate including SA, OC and additional opened FT seats

EDIT: Its important to think that A2s shortage can be "more or less replaced" with A1s, Associates 2 shortage can be replaced with Asosciates 1, meaning that Class of 2022 will by no means replace class of 2020, but if class of 2021 is too small, then that should reflect with higher conversion rates on the 2021 SA & OCs, so class of 2022 would be larger

From what Ive heard from contacts and in my experience, there’s not even that many people quitting. I think WSO really skews people’s perspectives about a lot of things in this industry

I actually think that less people are quitting now given the slowdown in hiring.

And yes, I agree it’s totally comical that someone would read a handful of anecdotes on this website and then draw broad conclusions about the industry.

If 2 year analyst completion rate is about 80% what percentage is it looking like now? 70%? 60%?

At my BB there are more 1st years analysts eaving and less 2nd years (including those that I know that are moving to PE after bonus), thats easy to see with those farewell emails and internal chit chats

Ipsam non delectus ab dolor consequatur voluptatum. Qui ratione laboriosam qui aut distinctio eaque. Porro possimus est dolorem explicabo. Facere quia magni laboriosam eligendi. Iste facilis autem fuga odio. Sed voluptatem quia nobis non libero.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”