Future of Investment Banking | Outlook Beyond 2021

Recently, JPM published a report talking about the investment banking industry and where it is headed.

Some of the key points made in the research are:

• Wall Street banks are taking significant amounts of market share from European banks, and that is expected to continue
  • GS / MS will remain the top two investment banks
  • JPM and Citi's retail banking presence will continue to help its IB business thrive
  • Among European banks, Barclays is "the most complete player due to its strength in the US"
  • CS is at the bottom of the "pecking order" of global investment banks according to the report

While most of the points made by the report are not surprising, it is interesting to see how bearish they are on the outlook of European investment banks. With the implosion at Archegos recently as well, we are seeing massive defects from the senior ranks at CS, which will be hurtful to a business once seen as traditionally dominant in Lev Fin / Financial Sponsors, leaving Barclays as the last challenger to Wall Street hegemony. 

The report doesn't dive deep into M&A specifically, but here are some of the key trends that will likely play out in the next few years:

• EBs will continue to take market share as they have conclusively proven that the independent advisory model is effective and beneficial for clients
  • Companies such as Evercore, Centerview, PWP who's presence in Europe is more nascent, will start to become a larger player in the M&A market there to match the strength of their US franchises
  • Large BB's (especially GS) will start to lose out on talent due to issues on culture, health, bureaucracy, pay etc. Clearly, the report does not see this as a problem, but how this manifests into their ability to attract the best rainmakers in the future is yet to be seen

For anyone interested in reading more about the article: https://www.fnlondon.com/articles/goldman-and-bar…

Interested to hear what everyone else thinks

Turnover at the senior ranks are quite common among banks (albeit not at this level). They will struggle in the short term, but it's unlikely they will perform as poorly as ppl think (i.e. Not necessarily at the the bottom of the pile). Don't forget they have a massive wealth management business which helps them bring in clients to IB

If you have a competing offer from an EB and a mid / low tier BB, there's a very low chance you will not choose the EB. Much better pay, career progression, variety of deals makes it an easy decision. As long as they are able to retain their talent and groom them to be future rainmakers, EBs will remain dominant

I initially decided on mid-tier BB over EB because I wasn't 100% sure about the IB -> PE track, but if I could go back in time I would take the EB offer for the reasons you mentioned. Another factor in my decision was that this was one of those sweatshop EBs and the BB was known to have "good culture". The reality is that IB is pretty much a similar environment across BB/EB. You may get lucky and have a great experience, but it's hard to predict those things due to the level of attrition at groups. I would take any EB over mid-tier BB and would take EVR/PJT/CVP over any top BB, except maybe GS given you get offered in specific groups vs. going through placement.   

Nemo reiciendis consequatur eum. Enim et est nihil fuga quod quibusdam quos. Nesciunt labore culpa et quibusdam et ex iste.

Labore quo iure voluptatem aut et nam mollitia. Dolores sed consequatur doloribus in quaerat. Suscipit esse laboriosam ducimus qui in pariatur est.

Sapiente natus voluptas maiores voluptate optio est quas. Tenetur et eos cupiditate aut doloribus placeat voluptatum. Ut commodi qui voluptatum. Labore architecto eveniet esse sit qui in natus.

Quibusdam velit et dolor laboriosam. Distinctio ea esse sit qui. Et dolorem consequatur itaque eligendi unde aut. Ut accusamus quis maxime impedit reiciendis expedita et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”