I'm sure so many of you are tired of seeing my name around here - but god damn this community is truly amazing.
- I graduated from a shitty high-school (Ranked 2/10 on Zillow).
- I had a 2.6 GPA
- I smoked weed (perfectly fine, but is just not for me) and was distracted, didn't care about my future
- I went to community college doing computer science, with plans to transfer to an unranked state school
- I found WSO
- I spent literally day in and day out learning about finance and tuning into the WSO podcasts, this is what I would consider the catalyst that made me realize my future and what I wanted to truly do
- I paid an absurd amount of money to study in London the summer between my freshman and sophomore year in college
- I came back, and leveraged that experience to network my way into being the only sophomore coming from community collegeat a top F500 for their Corp Finance/Strategy Summer Internship for juniors
- I started a finance club, and helped over 30 students at my CC hone in on their futures. This was hard, most students at my CC don't care or work hard enough to be involved in something like this
- I continued to network, close my mouth, open my eyes and ears, and focus on improving myself - both academically, mentally, and physically
- I started early at the F500 in their Business Development team responsible for M&A (Corp Dev is what the group SHOULD be called, team is very small and ex bankers/ivy league'rs) because I aggressively pushed the director of the program with this fact: because i'm in CC i'm the only one local, and that means I can help before summer starts as I was aware they were lean
- Now, i'm leading my group/team of interns out of an intern class of ~30. I'm recruiting for IB SA2019 now, since I've got a fucking credible name behind me on my resume
Throughout all of this I have dealt with so much bullshit and family politics, drama, loss of social life (was extremely popular in high school - stopped seeing everyone the second I honed in on my self)
Now, I'm going to a T25 target school, and although i'm coming in as a Junior, you bet i'm gonna secure that SA gig at ANY investment bank that will recognize my desire to be a part of this community. I'll even delay grad by a year if I have to, since it's late into recruiting season right now.
That's all. Thank you all for teaching me everything I needed to know, to achieve some of the most important moments in my life so far. I look forward to paying it forward for the rest of my life. The lesson to be learned here is no matter how low your position might seem, you can always do something to inch your way up. This was a process over the course of two years, and I've still got a far way to go before I can say I've made it.
P.S. I applied to ten schools, ranking all the way from top 20 to >100 on US News. I was accepted by all of the top schools; and denied by the worst ones. I had a 3.5 college GPA. It's not impossible if you don't have a 4.0 - we all have our reasons, mine was weighed down by two D's I got in HS while dual enrolled at CC. College admissions is a wooly mammoth shit show and there are so many variables that go into your decision that you can never be sure where you're gonna get in - unless you're a perfect applicant :~)