Hiring Freezes and 2021

Hey all, just thought I would ask if you guys feel there will be long term impact on the structure of working remotely now that it looks like WFH is realistically going to be till the middle of 2021 at least if not longer.

Also, what do you guys think in terms of BSchools if this continues longer (which realistically it will)? Move to online + closures?

Most firms will probably have some sort of rotating or hybrid model that allows people to come in if they choose. 

I have been bearish on B school for a while and I am curious to see how this round of MBA SA recruiting goes. If they flop I imagine that the many schools will struggle getting top talent.  (The way I think of it is, IF I network my ass off can I get farther in 2 years than a MBA could get me in the same two years.)

Thats exactly what I’m asking myself. Whats the point of dropping bank $$$ on an MBA when you could just network your way in (it’s not that easy I know). Why be in the mercy of MBA recruiting (cyclical economic environment) when you can play the long game. Just my 2 cents..

Honestly speaking, it (networking yourself) is actually not that bad either. As above, if you just reach out to enough people and assuming you are An1/2 or above you will mostly be fine. If you are at BB or EB or soemthing like that, you'll definitely be fine! Most people love to chat/talk about their experiences and you merely need to reach out to enough people and I would say within 2 months you should have enough interviews. Say hit up 15-20 people (on LinkedIn) per fund/start-up/corporate or whatever you are after. Most will happily chat away and you will have transitioned without any expenses incurred. The only way B School works is if you are after the M7 or something imo. 

Disclaimer: all of this is relative of course. I am assuming you are already in a good enough position to get interviews and that B School is merely a formality of the corporate culture in US.

Most Helpful

PeRmAnEnTiNtErN

Most firms will probably have some sort of rotating or hybrid model that allows people to come in if they choose. 

I have been bearish on B school for a while and I am curious to see how this round of MBA SA recruiting goes. If they flop I imagine that the many schools will struggle getting top talent.  (The way I think of it is, IF I network my ass off can I get farther in 2 years than a MBA could get me in the same two years.)

OP here. 

Regarding the first part - do you mean that for the long-term or until then? I feel that LT changes may be in the works and a healthy amount of changes may come through.

Haha yeah, the B School thing is a joke. I have a senior who transitioned to the buy-side without HH... his advice to me was: "LinkedIn Premium" lol. Tbh, he just reached out to people at funds he was interested in and often they would not be looking for immediate hires but mostly within a month or two he would end up with interviews. In the end, within 6 months of looking he had signed. Apparently most people love to chat/meet for coffee and once you have enough/relevant experience don't care about much else.

The only reason I brought it up is that it is looking increasingly likely that a good part of next year will be WFH or some variant of it. Which means there is a chance Class of 2023 may be "studying from home" and may not get to network etc. Will the fees stay the same? 

Totam aut sed quaerat dolores excepturi autem ad quod. Eius corrupti atque enim in qui. Atque est vel libero architecto quasi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”